What's new

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'm so happy that Lawrence is finally available in 4k UHD. Thank you, Robert, for your help to make this a reality - and your hilarious review!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
[...]
Oh, one more thing. The film comes with digital codes so that it can finally be seen as the filmmakers intended.

On one's iPhone.

[...]

Sadly David Lynch does not get the idea of watching movies on phone screens, he probably has to be reeducated by watching El Aurens in glorious Phone-o-vision:

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Now released in the new Columbia six film boxed set
One UK site now has it advertised as a pre-order with a release date of Jan 1st 2022... :huh: surely a mistake......? and its £119 - about $151 - ouch!

The release of the LOA Blu Ray box set 8 years ago was what brought me to and encouraged me to join HTF. I love the information and debate on here and now check in every day. I have also learnt to be patient over these 'international' releases.
I would prefer a 'standalone' release of this film, but Gandhi also interests me if it was to be only a compendium release....

Last edited:

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I’m informed that one of the extra discs is missing some content and will be replaced

Mr. Harris, can you elaborate on what was missing? Did Sony already provide disc replacement details?

Thanks in advance

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Mr. Harris, can you elaborate on what was missing? Did Sony already provide disc replacement details?

Thanks in advance

If you visit this review, Bill Hunt describes what is missing (I posted it below) and that he will post details once Sony puts a replacement process in place. https://thedigitalbits.com/item/lawrence-of-arabia-ccv1-4k-uhd

"A new special features Blu-ray containing all of the extras is currently being replicated and will be made available by mail to everyone who purchases this Columbia Classics box set. (Note that we will include details on how you can obtain a copy here when they become available)."

===
Finally, Disc 4 adds the lion’s share of the edition’s special features as follows:

• Peter O’Toole Revisits Lawrence of Arabia (HD – 21:07)
  • Making of Lawrence of Arabia (SD – 61:29)
  • A Conversation with Steven Spielberg (SD – 8:49)
  • Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast (SD – 2:00)
  • In Search of Lawrence (HD – 5:00)
  • Romance of Arabia (HD – 4:37)
  • Wind, Sand and Star: The Making of a Classic (1970) (SD – 4:32)
  • New York Premiere (SD – 1:08)
  • Advertising Campaigns (SD – 4:51)
This is the exact same content found on the first special features disc in the 2012 Blu-ray set (much of it carried over from the film’s 2001 DVD release). Unfortunately, there’s a problem here. This disc was also supposed to include the following content from the 2012 Blu-ray’s second special features disc (as follows):

• Deleted Balcony Scene with Introduction by Anne V. Coates (SD – 7:06)
  • The Lure of the Desert: Martin Scorsese on Lawrence of Arabia (HD – 7:51)
  • Lawrence at 50: A Classic Restored (HD – 13:30)
  • King Hussein Visits Lawrence of Arabia Set (HD – 2:01)
  • Wind, Sand and Star: The Making of a Classic (1963) (HD – 5:04)
  • In Love with the Desert (SD – 83:54)
  • William Friedkin on Lawrence of Arabia (SD – 5:43)
  • Sydney Pollack on Lawrence of Arabia (SD – 2:38)
  • Steven Spielberg on Lawrence of Arabia (SD – 1:26)
  • Theatrical Trailer (HD – 4:44)
  • Theatrical Teaser Trailer #1 (HD – 1:53)
  • Theatrical Teaser Trailer #2 (HD – 1:18)
  • 70mm Restoration Trailer (1989 Release) (HD – 1:55)
  • TV Spot #1 (HD – 1:02)
  • TV Spot #2 (HD – :12)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
One UK site now has it advertised as a pre-order with a release date of Jan 1st 2022... :huh: surely a mistake......? and its £119 - about $151 - ouch!

Well, the US edition has an SRP of $165, so you guys actually catch a break. And given that it's six films, that breaks down to $27.50 apiece, which is under what Sony typically gives as an SRP for a 4K release ($30.99). But as with the US, I imagine that the prices that UK dealers offer will come down from that.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's available from amazon.ca for $100 CDN, or 59 pounds at the current rate of exchange.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's available from amazon.ca for $100 CDN, or 59 pounds at the current rate of exchange.

plus $28CAD shipping and likely 20% VAT when it arrives in UK so close to $150CAD (? £90)

£115 from DD or WowHD including shipping and VAT plus the US digital copies to sell

I'm guessing that those would end up roughly the same net price unless the Canadian package escapes Customs and other Delivery fees plus judging from the last pics I saw at Heathrow Mail terminal, it may take 2 months to get through

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I may have missed it, but does anyone know if the included standard blu ray in the set is from a new master, or is the same as the earlier LoA blu ray? And I’m sure no one knows if LoA alone will have its own release outside this boxset?

john a hunter

Screenwriter
As there is no sign of the box set being released outside U.S., pretty sure that there will be separate releases.
The question is , though, how long a wait.!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I may have missed it, but does anyone know if the included standard blu ray in the set is from a new master, or is the same as the earlier LoA blu ray? And I’m sure no one knows if LoA alone will have its own release outside this boxset?
There's isn't really a new master. The UHD and the existing blu-ray are both based on the 2012 4K scan and remaster. The only new thing is the HDR pass they did for the UHD.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Will Mr. Smith Goes to Washing benefit from a 4K release? Gad what an oddball collection. LoA, Gandhi, Dr. Strangelove, League of Their own, Mr. Smith, and Jerry Maguire. The first 3 I’d like to have 4K. I have Mr. Smith and why would upgrade it’s blu ray? League, yeah, maybe. Got Jerry, not convinced I need it in 4K.

So from my point of view, 3 movie’s, oh hell, maybe it 4 with League. The least two I question upgrading them to 4K. This seems a like like a Personal Seat License. I have to pay up front, for the privilege of paying more for the movies I really want.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Before the film played on TV it was re-released in theaters on a continuous run rather than reserved seat basis. I remember it opening at the late great Rivoli theater on Broadway in NY and that Times' article appearing in a Sunday Arts and Leisure section thereafter. I did not go because of that article. Though what a great theater to have seen such a film! Surpassed only by the Criterion several blocks down where the film had its US premiere.

I went to see it a number of times at the Ziegfeld in '89 and every time it was packed. The premiere of that must have been an incredible experience for you Mr. Harris and quite a proud moment in your life. How I wish I had been there.
The only surviving(?) major cast members are the two boys. I have looked in vain for interviews with them on the internet for their experiences on making the film. Very surprising considering they were important featured characters in one of the most memorable films of all time. I have none of the DVD versions but maybe they exist somewhere there on one of the bonus discs. I highly recommend Sian Phillips' autobio-Public Places-and her recounting of her experiences being on location with her husband while the film was being made. The whole book in fact is terrific.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks