What's new

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
See post 290. Close enough for government work, albeit a bit toward blue...

I see.....I think what threw me off when you said 'dark blue' or akin to.....I'm seeing probably somewhere in between those two screenshots, which I'm thinking is [more] correct

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I see.....I think what threw me off when you said 'dark blue' or akin to.....I'm seeing probably somewhere in between those two screenshots, which I'm thinking is [more] correct

Color accuracy and words are not ideal playmates.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Just received a email from Sony Pictures Consumer Affairs about the missing extras disc being shipped out.

Dear Angelo,

We are happy to inform you that a replacement for the Lawrence of Arabia special features disc has been sent out to your address on July 1, 2020.

We would like to thank you for your patience.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Regards,

Jens
SPHE Consumer Affairs

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Just received a email from Sony Pictures Consumer Affairs about the missing extras disc being shipped out.

Dear Angelo,

We are happy to inform you that a replacement for the Lawrence of Arabia special features disc has been sent out to your address on July 1, 2020.

We would like to thank you for your patience.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to assist you.

Regards,

Jens
SPHE Consumer Affairs
Let me check to see if I got my Email

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Just watched the UHD disc on my Sony OLED. I have seen the film in 70mm many times over the years and this disc comes pretty close to replicating that experience. I guess it is the Dolby Vision which adds all the incredible highlights but the color is rich and the sound seems much more expansive than I have ever heard. Bravo Sony--- hope a standalone release of this film is coming soon.

BlackOps

Agent
Real Name
Joe Houston
I have two Sony XBR-55X930D 4K 3D televisions. My friend in New Jersey has an LG 65". He sees this problem as well, and he's an expert on color and various formats of film lab work. I'm not -- but I'm a knowledgeable film aficionado, more towards film directors and film history.

Does anyone know what's up? (And remember the Blu-rays look fine.) Maybe I can take a pic from my iphone and post it here? I know that wouldn't do it justice, but this is not imagination on my part.

Have either of those displays been calibrated by a professional or at least by a competent person with proper equipment?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Video display calibration understanding and equipment is crucial. I remember a guy from another site who had vast photography experience. But he had little understand of video, video standards, format standards, meters, etc. and tried to apply his knowledge directly to video and you can only imagine the problems.

ghostwind

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bogdan
Have either of those displays been calibrated by a professional or at least by a competent person with proper equipment?

I was curious, so I took a look and compared the 4K DV vs HDR10 vs Blu-ray on my LG 65" OLED using two Panasonic 820 UHD players and switching inputs. I don't see the saturation problem described with the blue sky in Ch. 5, but the Blu-ray does have a slightly different color balance/tint, and some colors at times are a bit more punchy on the Blu-ray (skin tones for example in Ch. 5 look better to me on the Blu-ray, and a bit more monochromatic on the 4K DV or HDR10). My system is calibrated, but outside of grayscale, there's not much one can do for DV or HDR. For Blu-ray, SDR, you can do a lot more calibrating. But overall the 4K looks a lot better, and perhaps is a better color representation overall.

I think part of the problem is that the black, white levels, and tone mapping on DV & HDR differ from display to display as we all know, and there's not much to be done about it really. And this in turn can make the overall image darker or more contrasty, and depending on viewing environment and light, the 4K DV/HDR10 can appear to have less saturation perhaps in certain things (like the blood on the head in Ch.5 for example).

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Video display calibration understanding and equipment is crucial. I remember a guy from another site who had vast photography experience. But he had little understand of video, video standards, format standards, meters, etc. and tried to apply his knowledge directly to video and you can only imagine the problems.
They probably spent hours looking for the f-stops ;) .

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I called the toll-free number at Sony back on June 24th and spoke with the same extremely nice Nederlander who wrote Angelo's e-mail.

But no disc--or e-mail--yet for me.

I'm in no rush for it. Just reporting my experience.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Not directly related to the UHD, but as someone who has a voracious appetite for film music due to work travel, I was surprised to find that there was a complete re-recording of Maurice Jarre’s score conducted by Nic Raine issued in 2012 for the 50th anniversary.

Not just a great quality recording, it’s astonishingly close to the original. If you have Apple Music, it’s available on there as well.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I assume individual releases of the six films in the Columbia Classics Vol 1 set should be released soon as the box set is sold out at Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy , and Target. Seems to be only available at inflated prices on eBay or from Amazon 3rd parties. Several people appear to be breaking up the set and selling pieces. Whether it is the movies without the digital codes, the digital codes by themselves, and someone is even selling the empty box for the set on eBay. Hopeful sign for future box set releases .

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I called the toll-free number at Sony back on June 24th and spoke with the same extremely nice Nederlander who wrote Angelo's e-mail.

But no disc--or e-mail--yet for me.

I'm in no rush for it. Just reporting my experience.
Today, I received my replacement disc. @Mike Frezon Has yours arrived yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks