PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
Is it just me or has the HTF been more cantankerous than usual lately?

Seems like we've had more real bickering than usual! :huh:
Colin, it is just you and I’ll argue that fact with just about anyone here...except the Moderators. :D

P.S. I hope to one day visit the locations used in “Lawrence”. My sole purpose for the visit will be to see, with my own eyes, why the desert doesn’t match up with my back-pack
full of screen caps.:lol:

Last edited:

Brian Husar

Second Unit
Colin, it is just you and I’ll argue that fact with just about anyone here...except the Moderators. :D

P.S. I hope to one day visit the locations used in “Lawrence”. My sole purpose for the visit will be to see, with my own eyes, why the desert doesn’t match up with my back-pack
full of screen caps.:lol:
I posted on the Laurel and Hardy thread that I am seeing people post here that never have posted before and right off the bat are being very insulting. But I know RAH can handle it.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Brian Husar

Second Unit
Anyone notice on the steaming version the sound is different? I don’t have an Atmos system. When I play the disc, the sound is the way I have always heard it, but on the streaming version, when I watch it on Vudu from the code, it sounds like the redid some of the effects. During the Mirage scene, there is a strong sound of wind coming from the surrounds. Could it be because the player is not reading the disc as Atmos and just Dolby True HD? I don’t know. Not a big deal, just curious.

AnthonyClarke

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mr Blenheim is in an 'interesting' age group, same as myself, so I do trust that his absence means nothing more than he's taking some time out to check out his system's settings.

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Cinematographer
Supporter
Real Name
Philip
Here is my take on the “Lawrence of Arabia” Blu Ray of 2012; and the 4K/DCP, to which I was so grateful to attend in 2019; and the 4K/UHD of 2020.

All are; respectively; perfect, other-worldly and humbling.

I do not understand the nit-picking over an alleged this or an alleged that.

We are so fortunate to have the majesty of this masterpiece intact, within our possession and so stupefyingly magnificent within it’s presentation.

I hope, somewhere along the way, some of the ultra-diagnostic posters will remember to include a “Thank You” or a “Congratulations” to Robert A. Harris, James Painten and Grover Crisp for their many given years to this project. It is so well deserved.

Last edited:

Brian Husar

Second Unit
Here is my take on the “Lawrence of Arabia” Blu Ray of 2012; and the 4K/DCP, to which I was so grateful to attend in 2019; and the 4K/UHD of 2020.

All are, respectively, perfect, other-worldly and humbling.

I do not understand the nit-picking over an alleged this or an alleged that.

We are so fortunate to have the majesty of this masterpiece intact, within our possession and so stupefyingly magnificent within it’s presentation.

I hope, somewhere along the way, some of the ultra-diagnostic posters will remember to include a “Thank You” or a “Congratulations” to Robert A. Harris, James Painten and Grover Crisp for their many given years to this project. It is so well deserved.
I agree. When I see all this stuff I do not know what people are talking about. In fact this whole box set is a winner. I trust the expert like Robert and Mr Crisp. Thank you for a great presentation.

Reactions: atcolomb and PMF

Rob W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I went to check my copy and started to panic before I noticed a continuity error in this scene. The clouds in the sky are not visible in the beginning of the sequence, and at the cut after the medium shot of the pair at the well, the clouds suddenly appear in the sky and the camels have shifted to the left side of the screen vs the right on the start of the sequence.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
I went to check my copy and started to panic before I noticed a continuity error in this scene. The clouds in the sky are not visible in the beginning of the sequence, and at the cut after the medium shot of the pair at the well, the clouds suddenly appear in the sky and the camels have shifted to the left side of the screen vs the right on the start of the sequence.
That's occurred quite often. Camels wander. Or you've flopped the disc...

Chewbabka

Grip
Real Name
Joe
Correct. Apparently, a small number of 4k discs were pressed directly from the 1966 IP. The promotion should have already been announced. Lucky winners receive the centerpiece.
And I thought I was lucky to have received the lost negative trims stuffed in my box.

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David
Sorry, but there’s no problem.

Are you seeing color in the camels’ blankets?

If you’re viewing on an OLED, or even LCD, with Dolby Vision, you’re having a set-up error. DV is not an easy creature.

Has your panel been calibrated for DV?

It’s an interesting sequence, as the desert is extremely hot/bright. Peter is covered in dust. Sky is a darkish robin’s egg blue.

How bright is your viewing environment? Might your panel be adjusting itself in some way.

Everything is proper and in order.

By the way, there are no chapters pre se on a video master, which comes from the .dpx files. It’s continuous, so nothing would arbitrarily change at a chapter mark.

It’s unlike projection, during which - print dependent - there can be color shifts at reel changes, every 9 minutes or so.
Robert, is it possible for you to snap just an iphone pic of the scene(s) in question just so even us newbies for a simple reference ?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Therma123