Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are certain women in films, who one might wish to think twice before spending time in their company alone.

Two of those might be Alex Forrest and Evelyn, the obsessed fan in Play Misty for Me. While we're at it, best to mention Annie Wilkes.

I don't have access to the older Blu-ray, of which there were tales of it being grainy, but as far the the new incarnation, from Paramount's new "Presents" series, it looks terrific in every regard. Great color, densities, an overall pleasant sheen of grain, nice black levels.

As the Presents moniker seems to stand for grain reduced, this may have been the case here, but whatever may or may not have been done to the image, it's a very nice looking Blu-ray.

Audio, which was originally Dolby Digital is represented properly as Dolby TrueHD 5.1.

Still a wonderfully creepy film, as directed by Adrian Lyne, that sends a message that one should know someone for more than an hour before heading into a one-night stand.

Nominated for six Academy Awards.

Image – 5

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray – ?

Highly Recommended

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I watched the original BD not too long ago and thought it didn't seem grainy ENOUGH. The new one feels more natural to me...

Reactions: Worth

Reggie W

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This type of thriller, generally involving infidelity and the cost of such activity, appears to be what became Mr. Lyne's specialty. I'm not a big fan of these films, they make up the majority of his resume, but if you've missed this kind of thing from him he is releasing another of these after a very long layoff, 18 years since his last film, Deep Water with Ben Affleck and his real life girlfriend of the moment Ana de Armas.

My favorite Lyne film is Jacob's Ladder but he obviously made a lot more hay with these sexy thrillers.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Once I read about the bunny scene, I decided I couldn’t watch this movie, and I haven’t. It’s a character failing that I feel the suffering of animals more than humans in a movie.

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
Once I read about the bunny scene, I decided I couldn’t watch this movie, and I haven’t. It’s a character failing that I feel the suffering of animals more than humans in a movie.
But it’s not real. That’s how I handle it.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It’s a character failing that I feel the suffering of animals more than humans in a movie.
I think many people feel that way. As I mentioned in the Underwater discussion, the creators removed the real, live bunny from the story (changing it to a stuffed animal), because they felt audiences would be more concerned with the welfare and safety of the bunny than the human characters.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

noel aguirre

Supporting Actor
Premium
Real Name
noel
Saw this on a New Year’s Day in Times Square back in its original release. Packed theater and the audience reaction was priceless- screaming and talking to the screen warning his wife etc. I’ll never forget it - so much fun. So over the top.

Reactions: 24fpsNinja

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member
I watched the disc recently. The movie still holds up well, but the new transfer looks a bit odd, but that's just me. It has what I thought was an odd desaturated looked and a little overly processed. Not terrible, but just a bit strange looking to me compared to other catalogs from this era.

Osato

Producer
Senior HTF Member
The 4K iTunes version is a definite upgrade.
wow! Impressive that paramount actually did a 4k digital release for one of thes paramount presents titles.

hopefully more 4k digital versions are on the way.

it’s puzzling that all of These paramount presents titles are mastered at 4k but not all of them are available in 4k.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'm okay with seeing animals being harmed as long as it's a special effect. But I don't want to see it if it's real. I think that's one of the reasons I was never much of a western fan, all the awful things they did to horses.

Reactions: Johnny Angell

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kitchenknives