What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You recall correctly. However, it only has space for 6 discs (3 discs for the movies + 3 digital copy DVD-ROM discs), which still leaves one disc in the 4K set without a corresponding holder because the new edition comes with a bonus disc, in addition to the 4Ks and new BDs.

I thought about that, but I wanted to gift the old set to a friend of mine when I got the new one. It didn't feel appropriate to give her the old discs in the new packaging. If I was keeping both sets, I would probably switch them as you suggest. Since I'm not, it felt to me like the old discs really ought to go to my friend with their original packaging.

That old packaging is pretty awful anyway if you expect to access all 6 discs in arbitrary fashion.

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
please report back

Well, I have good news and I have bad news.

The type of sleeve have would not fit into the cardboard disc holders themselves

However, at least the type I have will fit inside the book itself. I put the sleeves on the "page" in the book for their corresponding film. For example, the discs for the first film are now in the book covering the page which lists the bonus features for the first film. The discs for Part II are in sleeves stacked on its page, and so on for the third film and the bonus disc on their respective pages. So I'm not actually using the cardboard holders that are built into the book for anything now. Does that makes sense? It sounds clearer in my head than it does looking at it typed out.

When you buy the set from the store, the book fits into the slipcase with the book's spine facing outward. For some reason, I can't get it to fit back in the slipcase with the spine showing now that I've put the sleeves in there. But it does (very narrowly) fit in if the side of the book with the pages face outward.

It is a tight squeeze in there, but I did it, barely. It does not appear that this will damage the book at all.

If you actually tried to shove the paper sleeves into the cardboard holders, that would probably result in damage to the book because they just won't go in (unless perhaps you can find smaller sleeves than I have.) But they will fit in the book if they're just facing up between the pages.

Whether this will work for a 15-disc set like the Hitchcock one you describe, I don't know. It's pretty snug, but I got it to work for BTTF using seven different sleeves. I used to have some two-sided sleeves, so if I ever found those, I could put the 4K and Blu-ray versions of each film in the same sleeve, but I don't know where those are offhand. So I've got the 4K and Blu-ray discs in separate sleeves stacked on top of each other on top of the "page" that's actually supposed to hold the disc. Like I said, it's pretty snug but it works.

Let me know if this makes any sense. I think it's easier if you see it, but I don't have a good camera to take pictures.

That old packaging is pretty awful anyway if you expect to access all 6 discs in arbitrary fashion.

I don't know what you mean. It was really bulky, but I never had any trouble getting the discs out. Of course, I only ever got out the Blu-ray movie discs for repeated use; the digital copy discs just stayed In there after they were redeemed because they became dead discs. If I hadn't given away the old set, I would have no problem using it for six out of seven of the current discs. But I felt like since I gifted the previous set, it would be inappropriate to gift the discs without their packaging. I wouldn't want to receive a disc if there was nothing to store it in, so I'm not going to gift like that.

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I;ve never found a problem when I have to sandwich two discs together on the same spindle. Fine, if handled with care. I do it very often with my own mastered DVDs of my high definition audio files .. eg when I need two discs to house a complete opera.

Chewbabka

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe
I;ve never found a problem when I have to sandwich two discs together on the same spindle. Fine, if handled with care. I do it very often with my own mastered DVDs of my high definition audio files .. eg when I need two discs to house a complete opera.

This isn‘t a stacked discs situation. It’s a crammed into ultra tight cardboard sleeve situation.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I;ve never found a problem when I have to sandwich two discs together on the same spindle.

There is no spindle. There isn't even a tray. The packaging does a garbage job of storing and protecting the discs. Universal got too focused on making something that looks fancy and forgot about basic functionality.

Watch this unboxing video to see what we mean:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There is no spindle. There isn't even a tray. The packaging does a garbage job of storing and protecting the discs. Universal got too focused on making something that looks fancy and forgot about basic functionality.

Watch this unboxing video to see what we mean:

Well, according to a number of people on this forum, no one watches actual discs any more. You're just supposed to buy the pretty package for your shelf, then watch your digital copies through streaming. Probably why there was no thought given to anyone actually needing to get the discs out of the package. I'm surprised they didn't just glue the discs to a piece of cardboard, shrinkwrapped to the outside of the package itself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, according to a number of people on this forum, no one watches actual discs any more. You're just supposed to buy the pretty package for your shelf, then watch your digital copies through streaming. Probably why there was no thought given to anyone actually needing to get the discs out of the package. I'm surprised they didn't just glue the discs to a piece of cardboard, shrinkwrapped to the outside of the package itself.
I resent that comment because even though I have a large digital library, its vastness shrinks in comparison to my physical disc library. Furthermore, my preference is to watch the disc over the digital depending on certain circumstances such as watching a movie in bed in which I don't have to move to retrieve a disc that might be stored downstairs in one of my storage bookcases in my tri-level home.

Let's be careful with generalizations of our membership as outspoken posters might be misleading as to how the majority of us watch movies.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Have done some streaming and it's a good option but for me i am 100% physical and like seeing the movie on my self like a good book.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t have this particular set but I have plenty of others packaged in a similar fashion. I know this will be an unpopular statement, but I’ve never once had to replace a disc due to damage related to being stored that way. It may not be an elegant design - no argument there - but my hypothetical worries about the packaging has yet to translate into an actual problem I had to deal with.

If you like the discs but hate the packaging, it may be worth taking a moment to fill out the customer support form on their page to offer feedback. It very well may not make a difference for the next release but if the studio doesn’t hear from consumers on the issue they won’t know that consumers have an issue.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don’t have this particular set but I have plenty of others packaged in a similar fashion. I know this will be an unpopular statement, but I’ve never once had to replace a disc due to damage related to being stored that way. It may not be an elegant design - no argument there - but my hypothetical worries about the packaging has yet to translate into an actual problem I had to deal with.
My gripe with the book packaging is that you get the disc where glue gets on the edge of it because it's fallen down deeper into the pocket or it's fallen in deeper and it's just hard to get out.

While I appreciate the effort of trying to save space, in the case of BTTF, it's barely saving space because the book is only slightly smaller than three cases in a paper box would be.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My gripe with the book packaging is that you get the disc where glue gets on the edge of it because it's fallen down deeper into the pocket or it's fallen in deeper and it's just hard to get out.

I’ve had to remove glue before on one such title but I can’t remember which. Disc played fine though.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Watched Pt 1 tonight in Atmos and agree with Mr. Harris about the sound. Interesting that Universal went with Atmos as they usually use DTS-X on their 4k releases .

moviepas

Supporting Actor
MIne should be in my collection, in Australia by the end of Wed Oct 28 via Amazon AU. They did not sent me a shipped email. This post prompted me to check.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Well, according to a number of people on this forum, no one watches actual discs any more. You're just supposed to buy the pretty package for your shelf, then watch your digital copies through streaming.
This is correct for me except for the part about streaming. I buy discs, rip them at original quality, and watch them that way, keeping my discs for redundant back up after copying the hard drive off site. I can't imagine paying for the costs of discs and watching crappy streamed copies. But each to their own.

Britton

Screenwriter

If you like the discs but hate the packaging, it may be worth taking a moment to fill out the customer support form on their page to offer feedback. It very well may not make a difference for the next release but if the studio doesn’t hear from consumers on the issue they won’t know that consumers have an issue.

Here’s a link to their customer support form.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
No idea why Universal makes such lousy sets for the US market. Both 4K The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection and Back To The Future Ultimate Trilogy sets are decent solutions for the European markets.

IMG_2627.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks