Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'm surprised it was rated PG in 1980, which Poltergeist was as well two years later. Thanks to political correctness, I think Airplane is even funnier today. I think most of us are just so familiar with the film the "offensive" content doesn't really register. I'm sure the PC brigade will eventually get around to attacking it as well. Can you imagine an edited, non-offensive version? It would (surely) be shorter than the leaflet mentioned in the film of "Famous Jewish Sports Legends."
The Otto Pilot scene alone might warrant an R in today’s society, not to mention Bridges’s drug use. I would rank Airplane in my top 10 comedies, but IMO, nothing tops Monty Python And The Holy Grail.

• Agreed
Reactions: Scott Merryfield

haineshisway

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
We should never stop wringing our hands at the PC brigade. And in the world in which we live, a sense of humor is no longer allowed. But I'll tell you why the woke give this a pass: Because they saw this one when they were kids, so it's a part of their lives, unlike Gone With the Wind and Song of the South - they have no relationship with those films so those are fair game. But if you have to give those a warning, then you can't excuse this one, funny as it is. Can't have it all ways from Sunday, I'm afraid. I enjoyed Airplane when it came out (I actually read for it), but then all comedies suddenly had to be THAT, and that was very bad for comedy.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
We should never stop wringing our hands at the PC brigade. And in the world in which we live, a sense of humor is no longer allowed. But I'll tell you why the woke give this a pass: Because they saw this one when they were kids, so it's a part of their lives, unlike Gone With the Wind and Song of the South - they have no relationship with those films so those are fair game.
That may be true for someone that's 35 or 40 now but someone who is 20 years old probably has never even heard of Airplane.

Last edited:

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
1. When Mr. Harris refers to South of the South might I assume he means SONG of the South?

2. Is "Jive" the same language as Ebonics?

3. As hilarious as this film is, the three Naked Gun movies make me laugh even more.

Reactions: AnthonyClarke

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I enjoyed Airplane when it came out (I actually read for it), but then all comedies suddenly had to be THAT, and that was very bad for comedy.
I had a very muted reaction to Airplane when I finally saw it a couple years ago, and I think it’s entirely due to the fact that the basic template for Airplane was used and reused so many times that because I had seen all of the imitations, the original had nothing to offer that I hadn’t already seen a million times. Without wanting to take anything away from the original film, I do think it was copied too many times.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
So Ebonics is spoken offensively in offices, whilst Jive is spoken inoffensively on airplanes?

Reed Grele

Screenwriter
Supporter
Real Name
Reed Grele
I had a very muted reaction to Airplane when I finally saw it a couple years ago, and I think it’s entirely due to the fact that the basic template for Airplane was used and reused so many times that because I had seen all of the imitations, the original had nothing to offer that I hadn’t already seen a million times. Without wanting to take anything away from the original film, I do think it was copied too many times.
I hate to say it because it shows my age.... But.... You had to be there.

Just like when Goldfinger came out in 1964. Very few people even knew what a laser was back then. Never mind having one being used as a weapon by Goldfinger to almost cut James Bond in half! I'm sure the entire audience was sweating back then during that scene. I certainly was!

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t even think it’s age so much as repetition; if I hadn’t seen The Naked Gun movies first and then all the other Zucker parodies that followed, it would have been fresh. Instead it was more of the same. It’s by no means bad; it’s just not the only of its kind.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
I don’t even think it’s age so much as repetition; if I hadn’t seen The Naked Gun movies first and then all the other Zucker parodies that followed, it would have been fresh. Instead it was more of the same. It’s by no means bad; it’s just not the only of its kind.
It’s the first of its kind, at least that people actually saw.
A few years earlier ZAZ write a movie called Kentucky Fried Movie that led the way to Airplane

Anyway without the success of Airplane none of those other movie would have happened
even all those terrible parody movies by Freidberg and Seltzer.

BTW the two Hot Shots movies are pretty amazing too.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
I was just graduating high school when Airplane hit the theaters, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. I did see some of the subsequent knockoff films, but never took to those like the original. In fact, the predecessor Kentucky Fried Movie is the only other film in my collection.

My wife and I watched the original 1970 film Airport last week after I bought it cheap on iTunes. Neither of us had seen it in many, many years and had forgotten much of the film. It's amazing how many scenes were parodied in Airplane. We were constantly quoting funny lines from the latter while watching the former. I couldn't take the film seriously -- similar to trying to watch any "serious" film about King Arthur, as all that comes to mind are lines from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Big Gay Andy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy Powell
And to this day I cannot watch Gone With the Wind or Mildred Pierce or The Heiress without thinking about the Carol Burnett versions and laughing.

• Agreed
Reactions: bujaki and B-ROLL

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
BTW the two Hot Shots movies are pretty amazing too.
Any comedy featuring some combo of Jim Abrahams, David Zucker, Jerry Zucker, and Pat Proft is mostly hilarious. Some or all of them were involved in Kentucky Fried Movie, Airplane!, the Naked Gun films, the Hot Shots! films, and Scary Movie 3 to 5.

Pat Proft also wrote and directed Wrongfully Accused (the Fugitive spoof with Leslie Nielsen), and Jim Abrahams directed Big Business with Lily Tomlin and Bette Midler, and Ruthless People with Danny DeVito and Bette Midler, more of my favorite comedies.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gr8Dane