What's new

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Same here.

On edit: I have the 2014 Network edition.

On edit again: By the way, RAH says " Mr. Caine appeared as Harry Palmer in Funeral in Berlin (1966),and Billion Dollar Brain (1967), both based upon works by Len Deighton."

For the record, he also appeared as Palmer in two telefilms made for the US premium cable network Showtime: Bullet to Beijing (1995) and Midnight in Saint Petersburg (1996). As far as I know, they were original stories, and not based on any of Deighton's novels.

And, for the record, he also plays the same character, but not Harry Palmer, in Blue Ice (1992).
I heartily recommend that one for Harry Palmer fans.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The movie Blue Ice (1992) gets pretty good reviews. Does anyone have a Region 1 DVD and can comment on picture quality?

Is there any difference in picture quality between the original HBO and Warner DVDs?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the UK The Ipcress File on Blu-ray tonight (it had been sitting on my shelf for months unopened though I had watched the DVD several times) and didn't find it nearly as offensive as Bruce did. But I'll be curious to read his comparison with this new release.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I have the UK Ipcress which I found brown and horrible. I probably made a mistake looking at the Beaver caps, which, to me, look like the exact same source. But if this has rich colors I'll take the chance.
I'm wondering whether to try the Kino - Mr Cashill finds the colours richer. There is a German blu ray, released this year, that seems to have an identical transfer to the Netwerk.

The German blu ray has been transferred at a higher bit-rate, so might look different in motion. A higher bit-rate shouldn't affect the colours, though.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
Blu-Ray.commhas a review up. They claim it’s the same master just tweaked.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I have the first UK disc release and just received the Kino. They're virtually identical. At least the Kino has better extras.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The movie Blue Ice (1992) gets pretty good reviews. Does anyone have a Region 1 DVD and can comment on picture quality?

Is there any difference in picture quality between the original HBO and Warner DVDs?

I ordered the HBO Blue Ice DVD from Ebay, it was described as being new. It arrived today and appears to be a MOD (the DVD underside has a bluish/violet tinge) disc from 2005, can anyone here confirm it's legit?

It came with a genuine cellophane wrapper and the paper insert looks perfect. If it's genuine HBO hopefully they used good quality discs.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram

I ordered the HBO Blue Ice DVD from Ebay, it was described as being new. It arrived today and appears to be a MOD (the DVD underside has a bluish/violet tinge) disc from 2005, can anyone here confirm it's legit?

It came with a genuine cellophane wrapper and the paper insert looks perfect. If it's genuine HBO hopefully they used good quality discs.

Blue Ice is a pretty good movie in the style of Ipcress File but unfortunately it goes soft in the last act. The HBO MOD fullframe DVD played fine however it appears to be a crude PAL to NTSC 625i to 480i conversion (it played in the UK first) that suffers from judder and artifacts. Stationary detail is pretty good. I assume it was filmed on 35mm, hopefully it will come out on Blu-ray at some point, maybe widescreen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks