What's new

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm always amazed that the studios would seem to rather repress discs and have these replacment programs instead of simply taking a couple extra quality assurance steps and checks to just get it right in the first place.

As noted here, it seems like it would cost a lot of money to redo the discs again and mail them out.

Even short of that, they could just send some discs out to fans or experts for review before the units are shipped to retailers and then to customers. At least then replacement would be easier and you wouldn't have the PR nightmare all over social media and web forums.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment (UPHE) has identified an issue with the home entertainment releases of Psycho - 60th Anniversary Edition and The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection, that specifically impacts copies of Psycho’s Blu-rayTM and 4K UHD versions made available on September 8, 2020. The initial run of the film’s Blu-ray and 4K UHD discs produced inadvertently omitted Psycho’s original 1960 mono track. UPHE’s goal is to always deliver the best possible product to its consumers. To that end, a replacement program is being established in the U.S. and Canada to ensure that those who have purchased this recent release of Psycho on Blu-ray or 4K UHD receive a corrected disc. To receive an updated Psycho disc, please visit the UPHE Support website https://www.uphe.com/en/contact-support or directly email [email protected].

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'm always amazed that the studios would seem to rather repress discs and have these replacment programs instead of simply taking a couple extra quality assurance steps and checks to just get it right in the first place.

As noted here, it seems like it would cost a lot of money to redo the discs again and mail them out.

Even short of that, they could just send some discs out to fans or experts for review before the units are shipped to retailers and then to customers. At least then replacement would be easier and you wouldn't have the PR nightmare all over social media and web forums.

Entire staff has been working from home for months.

There is no PR nightmare. It’s an element delivery error.

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Two big UHD boxsets (Sony Classics and Universal Hitchcock) and two costly blunders - not good. I am sorry for the studios but it will pay off in the long run that they both did the right thing.

I doubt Sony's inclusion of the wrong supplements disc for Lawrence of Arabia was too big of a hassle between it just being a BD-25, clearly a manufacturing error, and I'd imagine a lot of people already had the big gift set where it wouldn't matter. Mainly got the replacement so I could gift the Blu-rays for LoA to a friend who doesn't have a 4K setup yet.

No idea what a BD-100 replacement would cost by comparison. Though, I already know a person or two who aren't bothering with a replacement since they're happy with the remixes. Good for Universal taking care of this, though.

I'm surprised we're not having more releases with issues this year given all the chaos.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I doubt Sony's inclusion of the wrong supplements disc for Lawrence of Arabia was too big of a hassle between it just being a BD-25, clearly a manufacturing error, and I'd imagine a lot of people already had the big gift set where it wouldn't matter. Mainly got the replacement so I could gift the Blu-rays for LoA to a friend who doesn't have a 4K setup yet.

No idea what a BD-100 replacement would cost by comparison. Though, I already know a person or two who aren't bothering with a replacement since they're happy with the remixes. Good for Universal taking care of this, though.

I'm surprised we're not having more releases with issues this year given all the chaos.
Chaos doesn’t even touch upon the reality.

Layoffs at Uni, Fox. At Warner alone, 650 people out of work, plus another 150 at HBO. It’s been a bloodbath.

It’s a miracle any physical media is being produced.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can see where HTF members could see it differently. PQ=Picture Quality; AQ=Audio Quality; QC=Quality Control; and your definition: PQ=Product Quality. Alphabet soup.:)
My definition of PQ analogy stands for "Product Quality" comes from my retired automotive managerial career.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Good on Universal for taking care of this, especially with so much else going on.

I just wish Lionsgate could have done it for their Halloween 4K release a couple of years ago.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was about to pull the trigger on this set. Now I’m pondering either waiting for new sets with corrected audio. Or buy the set now and ask for the replacement disc. Or I’m even wondering if there is a 4K Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection Box set down the road that would include the same titles as the 2012 box set. :)

It is great news that Universal will take care of the error.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was about to pull the trigger on this set. Now I’m pondering either waiting for new sets with corrected audio. Or buy the set now and ask for the replacement disc. Or I’m even wondering if there is a 4K Hitchcock Masterpiece Collection Box set down the road that would include the same titles as the 2012 box set. :)

It is great news that Universal will take care of the error.

If you buy now and exchange the defective disc, you can skip the whole roulette wheel of figuring out whether or not the set you're eventually ordering is the corrected version or not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you buy now and exchange the defective disc, you can skip the whole roulette wheel of figuring out whether or not the set you're eventually ordering is the corrected version or not.
Yet, I think the set will be cheaper in late November and by then, we should know if the corrected discs are in stores. This mono audio issue has sealed it for me to wait until later this year.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Fathom just dropped a trailer for their 60th anniversary Psycho uncut screening. No mention of which audio track they are playing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the roulette wheel is exactly a concern of waiting for a fixed set! I’m still waiting out the Creature from the Black Lagoon box set to be sure it’s good. ( That set I’m guessing should be ok now. ). :)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Yes, the roulette wheel is exactly a concern of waiting for a fixed set! I’m still waiting out the Creature from the Black Lagoon box set to be sure it’s good. ( That set I’m guessing should be ok now. ). :)

confusion wheel:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks