What's new

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Are sets still being sold with the incorrect Psycho?
Most likely. I don't think it's worth their while to recall the sets. There are probably only a handful of people who know or care about the Psycho soundtrack issue, so it's easier and cheaper for Universal to just replace the discs on a case-by-case basis.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Most likely. I don't think it's worth their while to recall the sets. There are probably only a handful of people who know or care about the Psycho soundtrack issue, so it's easier and cheaper for Universal to just replace the discs on a case-by-case basis.

I think this is the best way to keep costs down which sadly is very important especially for UHD catalog titles and as you say many won't know or care anyway.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A few weeks ago, I bought the 4K streaming version of Rear Window, but I didn't get around to viewing it until tonight. I loved the detail even though I thought the skin tones looked a little brownish compared to the earlier Blu-ray release. Wendell Corey's eyes were fluorescent blue in the shot where he's also wearing a blue suit.

Every time I watch this movie, I'm reminded of the first time I saw it on Saturday Night at the Movies. I was a young teenager, and I'll never forget pulling a quilt over my head during the climactic noises on the stairway as Thorwald comes up to the peeper's apartment. I was too naive to know nothing really graphic would be shown in a 1954 film. I did know it was Hitchcock and had vivid memories of seeing Psycho in the theater and diving under the seat during some of its shock scenes. I thought the end might have some of the same kinds of shocks.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
A few weeks ago, I bought the 4K streaming version of Rear Window, but I didn't get around to viewing it until tonight. I loved the detail even though I thought the skin tones looked a little brownish compared to the earlier Blu-ray release. Wendell Corey's eyes were fluorescent blue in the shot where he's also wearing a blue suit.

Every time I watch this movie, I'm reminded of the first time I saw it on Saturday Night at the Movies. I was a young teenager, and I'll never forget pulling a quilt over my head during the climactic noises on the stairway as Thorwald comes up to the peeper's apartment. I was too naive to know nothing really graphic would be shown in a 1954 film. I did know it was Hitchcock and had vivid memories of seeing Psycho in the theater and diving under the seat during some of its shock scenes. I thought the end might have some of the same kinds of shocks.

I’ll have to watch Rear Window soon. Opted for The Goonies tonight.

Bill Fisher

Agent
Real Name
Bill Fisher
Mr. Harris: Not sure how to address you directly.
But curious if you've heard anything about a Blu-ray for
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS?
WB Archives just rereleased a DVD under the WB Archives
header on the package.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris: Not sure how to address you directly.
But curious if you've heard anything about a Blu-ray for
AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS?
WB Archives just rereleased a DVD under the WB Archives
header on the package.
The film that won the Academy Award for Best Picture is in need of an extremely expensive restoration - if that can be achieved. It has never been released on home video in any format.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
The film that won the Academy Award for Best Picture is in need of an extremely expensive restoration - if that can be achieved. It has never been released on home video in any format.

The 70mm Todd AO 30 fps version looks quite stunning in motion. The cobbled together 24 fps HD version not so much.
I hope that an Oklahoma! Style restoration with the intended frame rate will be possible in the future.

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Mr Harris, given the Stereo/surround audio options on Vertigo and Psycho, I was surprised that “the Birds” didn’t offer a similar alternative multi-channel track, especially given there’s no traditional music track to deal with, and the effects would seem ideal to be placed in a surround environment, especially when compared to Psycho. Any idea if this was considered or is/was it out of the question for technical reasons?

All the best

M

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr Harris, given the Stereo/surround audio options on Vertigo and Psycho, I was surprised that “the Birds” didn’t offer a similar alternative multi-channel track, especially given there’s no traditional music track to deal with, and the effects would seem ideal to be placed in a surround environment, especially when compared to Psycho. Any idea if this was considered or is/was it out of the question for technical reasons?

All the best

M
Sorry. None.

Vertigo was done because the original mag tracks no longer survived.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Seeking updates from other members who have requested a replacement disc for “Psycho”.

I’ve not received any replies.

Are all of us still on hold, or is it time for me to send another email and request?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Seeking updates from other members who have requested a replacement disc for “Psycho”.

I’ve not received any replies.

Are all of us still on hold, or is it time for me to send another email and request?
After an initial response asking for proof of purchase, I have heard and received nothing.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think their 2-4 week time estimate for a replacement was wildly over optimistic considering that there is a replication logjam for fourth quarter titles in addition to the pandemic slowing down all aspects of the business. I trust that it’s coming and will be pleasantly surprised when it arrives.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I have a DVD of Around the World in 80 Days. Fair quality, but the whole movie is there.
Sorry, but what was released is akin to a Xerox copy of an illuminated manuscript. Wrong version of the film, meant for non-roadshow, 35mm venues. Same story, same cast, different production, and Not the award winner.

The Negative of the version that people may be familiar with today, did not exist until May of 1957, and for which prints were not produced until June.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks