What's new

cannon1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael
Anybody noticing problems with USPS? My 4K Hitch has been sitting in Texas for 3 days. Another Amazon order reached Montgomery AL (50 miles from me) and the next morning it was in Tulsa OK, where it has been sitting for 2 days. How will the election happen with already such confusion and error?
USPS is very hit and miss these days....

Vern Dias

Second Unit
Real Name
Theodore V Dias
new 4K one is the correct version at 1.66?
1.66:1 is not actually the "correct" version. It does, however, most accurately replicate the image on the actual 35mm release print.

VV Framing.gif

Vistavision prints could be safely projected at anywhere from 1.66:1 to 2:1, but the recommended projection aspect ratio was 1.85:1. I know of at least one theatre chain that installed 2:1 screens when when Vistavision was first released and projected all films at 2:1.

The following quote is from the original Paramount documentation:
VISTAVISION STANDARD RELEASE PRINTS

The VistaVision standard print is a standard release print in every regard except that the quality has been improved. This will give a new depth perception in exhibition.​

These standard prints will carry a framing index (upper right hand corner of the frame. Figure 2) at the start of each 2,000 foot reel as a guide to the projectionist. If the picture is being projected in the old 1.33/1 aspect ratio, the projectionist will frame with the top frame line just above the top of the projected picture as in the past. If the picture is to be played in an aspect ratio of 1.66/1, the projectionist will frame at the little dot in the upper right-hand corner of the picture (the dot below the top frame line and above the dashed line). If the picture is being projected in the aspect ratio of 1.85/1, the projectionist will frame on the dashed line, and if the picture is to be projected in the aspect ratio of 2/1, framing should be on the little dot below the dashed line. These framing indices will be placed so as to give adequate head-room and the best composition for the aspect ratio selected.
However it does contain some errors with regard to the format of the actual release prints, as these were actually hard matted at 1.66:1.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
1.66:1 is not actually the "correct" version. It does, however, most accurately replicate the image on the actual 35mm release print.

View attachment 79299

Vistavision prints could be safely projected at anywhere from 1.66:1 to 2:1, but the recommended projection aspect ratio was 1.85:1. I know of at least one theatre chain that installed 2:1 screens when when Vistavision was first released and projected all films at 2:1.

The following quote is from the original Paramount documentation:

However it does contain some errors with regard to the format of the actual release prints, as these were actually hard matted at 1.66:1.
I believe the query regarded Rear Window, which was shot 35/4/1.37

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Up to yesterday I was still getting occasional break up and freeze issues on my Oppos (UDP 203 and 205). I suspected a hand shake issue with the HDMI cables. With VERTIGO I thought it was an issue with the disc.
By pure chance I went in to the VIDEO OUTPUT SETTINGS and set both COLOR SPACE and COLOR DEPTH to AUTO. Since then any video issues I had seemed to have cleared up, including a similar issue I had with VERTIGO on my 4K BLADE RUNNER disc.
Anybody with similar issues might want to try this.
If it continues the way it is, I guess I will have to re-purchase the Hitchcock collection.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Yes I found when I set my colour space to YCbCr 4:2:2 Instead of the default 4:4:4 I had hardly any freezing issues from my Panasonic 9000 uhd player, whereas before video stuttering was common for me

i mean the movies are encoded at 4:2:2 anyway on the disc so we’re not losing anything

i just received the Korean pressings of the Alfred Hitchcock 4k collection - I’ll see if vertigo causes vertigo for my Panasonic

looking at the IFPi codes this was pressed at Technicolor Germany. At least they made it easy to remove the darned discs
0AE5C270-1610-4FE1-8E71-BA0C00A1F2F4.jpeg
B62BF4A9-3BE2-4684-B41F-C8B1C79A42E5.jpeg
4A05EF20-D617-4E89-A6C2-4EE536F7A48C.jpeg
38CC90A2-ACE9-4236-8BB3-33FC25779B79.jpeg
B74AEDAF-3BF2-458B-A2D8-31909ED55F98.jpeg

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Thanks WillyTass. As it turns out I re-purchased the US box-set and the problem is still there with VERTIGO on the Oppo UDP 205, but plays fine on the 203, which I should have done to begin with. I have e-mailed OPPO.

Britton

Screenwriter
I like that case more than the US one. Where did you order it from? I would think that's how they'll do BTTF as well.

Yes I found when I set my colour space to YCbCr 4:2:2 Instead of the default 4:4:4 I had hardly any freezing issues from my Panasonic 9000 uhd player, whereas before video stuttering was common for me

i mean the movies are encoded at 4:2:2 anyway on the disc so we’re not losing anything

i just received the Korean pressings of the Alfred Hitchcock 4k collection - I’ll see if vertigo causes vertigo for my Panasonic

looking at the IFPi codes this was pressed at Technicolor Germany. At least they made it easy to remove the darned discs View attachment 79442 View attachment 79443 View attachment 79444 View attachment 79445 View attachment 79446

willyTass

Supporting Actor

about $120 usd

took 7 days to get to Australia via DHL registered post

conversely everything I order from screenarchives takes 2 months with the usps

edit: my copy of Vertigo UHD played all the way through on my Panasonic 9000 without a glitch

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
That's great service. I'm now finding Deep Discount are very fast shippers to Australia. I'm waiting now for Kino's 'Love Me Tonight'. I'd order the 4k Psycho as a standalone from the Classics set, if I could only be confident about which 'mono' soundtrack I'd be getting....

john a hunter

Screenwriter
That's good to hear about Deep Discount.
I eventually got a fund for my missing Mask of Zorro and Last Valley dispatched in June.
It wasn't their fault but US Post.
Was looking to reorder when things got better as they now seem to have.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Any updates from those who have requested a replacement disc of “Psycho”?

I twice submitted a request; with the second round providing a proof of purchase. No word or reply.

Should I be concerned or just chill?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn’t worry. In past recalls, I’ve gotten the gamut from excellent communication to practically none, but the disc always arrives.

They estimated 2-4 weeks for a replacement which strikes me as overly optimistic. There are a bunch of fall releases being postponed by several weeks due to replication logjams. I’m sure they’ll come. But it’s almost certainly a tiny team with limited resources with a product that’s not top priority for the manufacturer.

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Well my copy of the UHD of THE BIRDS Started to pixelate at 1 hour 3 minutes on my Panasonic 9000. Discs were wiped with ocular grade microfiber cloth prior

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks