Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I believe the higher end JVC is designed (a joint effort) to best synchronize with the top Panasonic player.

JVC's "Frame Adapt HDR" feature supercedes the prior "HDR Optimizer" that was developed with Panasonic. If viewing on a current JVC projector with a Panasonic UHD player as source, it's recommended to turn off HDR Optimizer in the Panasonic and let JVC do all the tone-mapping.

HRD Optimizer is a static tone-mapping curve that sets its levels based on metadata in the content, which is frequently missing or inaccurate. Frame Adapt HDR actually analyzes the video signal and makes frame-by-frame tone-mapping decisions.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There’s an interesting YouTube video on the subject, shot at Value Electronics in Scarsdale several months ago.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
There’s an interesting YouTube video on the subject, shot at Value Electronics in Scarsdale several months ago.

I attended the Value Electronics JVC/Panasonic presentation in March 2019. I believe the video you mention was made then.

JVC released the "Frame Adapt HDR" firmware several months later in October 2019. Frame Adapt HDR makes the Panasonic HDR Optimizer feature irrelevant. It will work with any HDR video source (disc or streaming) and does not require being paired with a Panasonic player. In fact, it is strongly advised to turn off HDR Optimizer before using Frame Adapt HDR, or you will tone-map the image twice, which significantly limits the projector's ability to analyze the video signal.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I attended the Value Electronics JVC/Panasonic presentation in March 2019. I believe the video you mention was made then.

JVC released the "Frame Adapt HDR" firmware several months later in October 2019. Frame Adapt HDR makes the Panasonic HDR Optimizer feature irrelevant. It will work with any HDR video source (disc or streaming) and does not require being paired with a Panasonic player. In fact, it is strongly advised to turn off HDR Optimizer before using Frame Adapt HDR, or you will tone-map the image twice, which significantly limits the projector's ability to analyze the video signal.

Since this was accomplished with a firmware update, I wonder if Sony will be able to come up with something similar?

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Given that Sony are exciting the professional cinema Projector market,I don't hold up hope for the future from this company.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Since this was accomplished with a firmware update, I wonder if Sony will be able to come up with something similar?

I expect that every home theater projector manufacturer will eventually implement similar features using their own proprietary algorithms, but JVC got there way ahead of anyone else and basically blindsided all of their competition.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I expect that every home theater projector manufacturer will eventually implement similar features using their own proprietary algorithms, but JVC got there way ahead of anyone else and basically blindsided all of their competition.

No matter what I buy to stay ahead of the curve, some new feature or technology is always right around the corner threatening to make my equipment obsolete. It's been that way since my first VCR purchase in 1981 and will most likely continue ad infinitum.

I try to just enjoy what I have now because..... Tomorrow may never come.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Last night i watched this film for the first time from a Blu-ray at my local library. Liked the film and great performances by all so i will get the 4K disc. I did look at the extras on the Blu-ray to find the one on the restoration but the library disc is the 2010 release which does not have it.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Last night i watched this film for the first time from a Blu-ray at my local library. Liked the film and great performances by all so i will get the 4K disc. I did look at the extras on the Blu-ray to find the one on the restoration but the library disc is the 2010 release which does not have it.

If you liked the 2010 release, you'll luv the later Blu-ray or the 4K UHD release, they are both from the same 6K master and a drammatic improvement.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Might you be kind enough to borrow that disc again, and return it with a scratch rendering it unplayable? It’s for the betterment of mankind.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Might you be kind enough to borrow that disc again, and return it with a scratch rendering it unplayable? It’s for the betterment of mankind.
What i could do is put in a suggestion at the library to get the 4k & Blu-ray disc set and hope they can put that 2010 one out of circulation. Our library system does have a few films on 4K but on Spartacus that Blu-ray was the only one they had. The image was not the best but got involved in the story and had a good time.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
What i could do is put in a suggestion at the library to get the 4k & Blu-ray disc set and hope they can put that 2010 one out of circulation. Our library system does have a few films on 4K but[...]
Tell you what, atcolomb, I will purchase a 4K/UHD of Spartacus and donate it to your library; if you can send me a PC with their exact address.

THIS Spartacus must be seen and shared with as many people as possible. It’s a true beauty.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Tell you what, atcolomb, I will purchase a 4K/UHD of Spartacus and donate it to your library; if you can send me a PC with their exact address.

THIS Spartacus must be seen and shared with as many people as possible. It’s a true beauty.:thumbs-up-smiley:
Thanks for the offer Philip and this morning when i went to pick up some items from the library i gave them the suggestion in writing to get the 4K/Blu-ray set of Spartacus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks