What's new

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
A response from WB MPI regarding the question about registration of three-strip elements...

We still use the ‘Ultra Res’ software although it has been updated and retrofitted to accommodate 16-bit images.

Also, once archive became a consideration, the software was locked to a single block recombine. The software is capable of splitting the images up into up to 16 squares (called blocks). It can give you the appearance of a tighter recombine. The separate layers (Y, C & M) were shot together and intended to be recombined as whole images; if they’re not easily recombining, there’s something else going on with the scans. Speaking of which, the advancements in scanning and having true archival film scanners now, has made a huge difference for the recombine process. These scans are optically registered to the perfs of each record so it’s just a better starting place. And then HDR obviously adds an enormous amount when it comes to image quality of the final product. Finally, we do also have some newer software for recombines when there are areas we feel need tightening up, which can get the alignment slightly better (with some guidance), but it is way less consistent and can go off the rails quickly so we only use it on additional passes after the colorist reviews the original ‘Ultra-Res’ pass.

Mr. Harris, thank you SO MUCH for the followup to my post #24. I appreciate the additional information. With all the bad news out there, I am heartened by these developments, which can help save our cultural heritage in a quality unimaginable just a few decades ago.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Another member of my family subscribed to HBO Max yesterday, and right now I'm watching Romance on the High Seas on the service and it certainly seems like the sparkling new restoration. The picture quality even streaming is very impressive.

ThadK

Second Unit
Yes, the copy on HBO Max is the new restoration seen on the BD. They even fixed the registration of the examination scene with Eric Blore that was messed up in the old transfer.

The film itself looks amazing, although there's a shocking blunder with the presentation of the bonus cartoon HARE SPLITTER. It's a newly restored transfer, but they presented it in SD with bad interlacing/artifacting, despite advertising it would be an HD presentation. Sigh. But you ARE buying the disc for Ms. Day, not Mr. Bunny.

Along with MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM and TEX AVERY VOL. 1, ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS makes this a killer year for WAC.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.55.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 4.55.56 PM.png
    875.6 KB · Views: 154
  • vlcsnap-2020-06-18-18h19m44s515.png
    vlcsnap-2020-06-18-18h19m44s515.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 286

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Finally had a chance to watch this blu-ray. I am beyond ecstatic that it got a blu-ray release at all and even more so at the video and audio quality. What a GORGEOUS treat. The sharpness and most particularly the color. The range of subtle color changes and hues is a joy to behold, as is the explosion of color in the carnivale finale.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
I am beyond ecstatic that it got a blu-ray release at all and even more so at the video and audio quality. What a GORGEOUS treat. The sharpness and most particularly the color.
I finally received my Covid-delayed copy. I concur with everything JohnMor says. Let's hope Warner's releases more of Doris's 1940s movies.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Don't know where to post this.
Is there any news of a blu-ray of the Doris Day film, "Lullaby of Broadway"? Watched the old DVD from Netflix last night. It's a charming old-fashioned film, very amusing, with some outstanding singing and dancing. Day is great.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Don't know where to post this.
Is there any news of a blu-ray of the Doris Day film, "Lullaby of Broadway"? Watched the old DVD from Netflix last night. It's a charming old-fashioned film, very amusing, with some outstanding singing and dancing. Day is great.
I'd love this to be released on blu-ray! I haven't heard any news about it but you never really know what titles WAC is going to announce each month. With George Feltenstein back in charge i think there is a strong possibility we will see the rest of Doris Day's films released on blu-ray at some point :)

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
As we all know, as soon as you buy a movie, it comes out in a better version/format/transfer.

So, if it's any comfort, I bought both Tea for Two and Lullaby of Broadway on DVD at the last 4 for $44 sale from Warner Archive. Hopefully, that means they are coming to Blu-Ray soon!

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
It has its moments but Gene Nelson is so underpowering in this outing .. unlike his killer appearance in 'Oklahoma!'. He just has no charisma in this role and it drags the movie down down down. That's my opinion anyway .. others are free to totally and respectfully disagree....

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It has its moments but Gene Nelson is so underpowering in this outing .. unlike his killer appearance in 'Oklahoma!'. He just has no charisma in this role and it drags the movie down down down. That's my opinion anyway .. others are free to totally and respectfully disagree....

To be honest, other than Doris dancing backwards down the stairs, I always found LULLABY to be a little silly and It's not a favorite of mine (though I'll still buy it.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks