What's new

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Wow! Have we really gone so far down the rabbit hole here that a quality piece of entertainment gets dumped on? Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite movies, and while Garson is older than the character she is playing, it only goes to show what a fine actress she was, pulling off a magnificent youthfulness. Olivier has just enough starch in his britches as her haughty paramour, softened to tenderness by Ms. Garson's inimitable Irish lilt, finesse and charm. Theirs is a supremely devilish and quaintly antagonistic affair of the heart. Delicious entertainment.

While I'll concur Olivier could - in some other movies - be a bit too invested in his performance to make it click as it should, I really don't think this negates what an accomplished actor he was in totem, absolutely wonderful in Wuthering Heights, and Rebecca, and, I always found him affecting and true as the empathetic detective in Bunny Lake is Missing. I also didn't mind his 'hamming' in either The Prince and the Showgirl, or, of course, The Entertainer, where it is decidedly expected and part of the plot.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The Actual title of the 1945 production was King Henry the Fifth.

Ahhhhhhhhh, NOW I see what the joke is. Henry Le Cinquieme! I was concerned that I had been Yankee mispronouncing "Cinq" this whole time.

Thanks (and sorry for the momentary derailment!)

• Haha
Reactions: PMF

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Robert, are you certain of that actual title? References please. I, and everyone in my class, grew up with Hank the Cinque. By the way, I failed history that year.

I think you might mean Hank the "Cinq." Cinque is Italian for 'five" and pronounced something close to "Cheen-kway" so the joke doesn't make any sense that way, lol.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Robert, are you certain of that actual title? References please. I, and everyone in my class, grew up with Hank the Cinque. By the way, I failed history that year.

Generic short title was ”Henry V’

Part Title on all original prints was King Henry the Fifth.

Longer title:

The Chronicle History of King Henry the Fift with His Battell Fought at Agincourt in France

and some thought Magnificent Men as performed by the inmates of... was a long one.

Last edited:

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The Chronicle History of King Henry the Fift with His Battell Fought at Agincourt in France is how I remember it from my enforced holiday at Charenton. So long ago. Locked-down days indeed.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Muni is like Olivier. A great actor in some things and pure ham in others. You see him in Scarface and then in A Song to Remember and you can't believe it's the same actor. And not in a good way.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't Greer Garson just a little too middle-aged for 22 y/o Lizzie? At 36, she was three years older than Olivier. I think that may have influenced his opinion of her in the role. With her long but thick neck and those inch long false-eyelashes, she doesn't look like a young woman just out of her teens. She looks like the Bennett sisters' older flirtatious auntie.

From what I found on the Internet, Elizabeth is supposed to be 20.

Garson was waaaaay too old for the part. I bought Stockard Channing as a high school student in "Grease" more readily than I accepted Garson as a 20-year-old! :D

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Watched this for the first time tonight. I was struck by how much Greer Garson resembled Meryl Streep in so many shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks