What's new

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No idea why Universal makes such lousy sets for the US market. Both 4K The Alfred Hitchcock Classics Collection and Back To The Future Ultimate Trilogy sets are decent solutions for the European markets.

View attachment 80959

I seem to recall there were a lot of complaints about that packaging here (not necessarily HTF), which was used for the original BTTF trilogy BD set. And I didn't like it either... though not too big deal since the DC discs aren't used more than just once. But would hate it -- probably more than the current book style ones -- for discs that would be accessed more than once. Plus they're also uglier on top.

I'm guessing Universal made this switch precisely because of the American uproar w/ that crappy, old digipack.

Not saying the current book style is great of course, but I'd rather have that than that particular digipack.

Haven't had quite too much problem w/ the book style ones so far at least from other studios like Sony -- I haven't bought any such from Universal yet. Maybe Universal just needs to learn from Sony?

But yeah, ideally, they'd go w/ better, more standard style cases unless it's really such a definitive, collector's set worthy of more (like some of Criterion's boxsets, eg. the giant Bergman set) -- there have been plenty of boxsets using good space-saving, standard format cases for a long while now.

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Back To The Future Trilogys 001.jpg

While so far I have only watched the 1st film of the trilogy I am very happy with the video and audio on this new 4K release! I viewed the first movie on my 55" Sony OLED and it looked great and I think the only way it would have been better is with a 4K projector and a 120"+ screen. Can not wait to watch BTTF2 as it has been awhile since I have seen the second movie.

And yes this is my last purchase of the trilogy! :lol:

Robert Saccone

Premium
Last weekend I received the Back to the Future Trilogy on Ultra HD. The first movie played fine. However BTTF Part 2, began stuttering in chapter 9, eventually froze, and then limped along with stuttering and pixilation for a while and then recovered. I examined the disc and didn't see any visible flaws. I figured I had a bad disc so I ordered a replacement set. I tried the new copy of BTTF Part 2 and the disc played further than the first copy but the same kind of result occurred a bit beyond where it occurred with the first disc. It eventually recovered past the trouble spot (which lasted a number of minutes) and continued. This is the first disc I have had trouble with. I am using an Oppo UDP-203 for playback. At this point since I haven't read reports of problems anywhere else I am beginning to think it might be a compatibility issue with the player. Has anyone else experienced any issues like this with the set?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm only using the Blu-rays rather than the included 4Ks because I'm not equipped with the set, so this might not be a 1-to-1 comparison. But all of them played just fine for me.

Maybe try it in another player if you have one?

Out of curiosity @Dave Moritz, are all of the steelbooks in your set in good condition?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Last weekend I received the Back to the Future Trilogy on Ultra HD. The first movie played fine. However BTTF Part 2, began stuttering in chapter 9, eventually froze, and then limped along with stuttering and pixilation for a while and then recovered. I examined the disc and didn't see any visible flaws. I figured I had a bad disc so I ordered a replacement set. I tried the new copy of BTTF Part 2 and the disc played further than the first copy but the same kind of result occurred a bit beyond where it occurred with the first disc. It eventually recovered past the trouble spot (which lasted a number of minutes) and continued. This is the first disc I have had trouble with. I am using an Oppo UDP-203 for playback. At this point since I haven't read reports of problems anywhere else I am beginning to think it might be a compatibility issue with the player. Has anyone else experienced any issues like this with the set?

Since this is your first run-in w/ such issue, how did you doublecheck the disc?

It's possible flaws (whether needing just some cleaning or actual replacement or firmware update, etc) aren't easily visible w/ just casual inspection. They might need to be seen from certain angle and/or particular (maybe spot) lighting -- I usually do so using a spotlight source (like my projector) w/ the room lights (at least) dimmed to make flaws/issues easier to see.

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Jake Lipson
Out of curiosity @Dave Moritz, are all of the steelbooks in your set in good condition?

Yes all three steelbooks are in perfect shape. Did you have damage in shipping? Or you buy it at a local store only to find damage after opening?

Robert Saccone
Last weekend I received the Back to the Future Trilogy on Ultra HD. The first movie played fine. However BTTF Part 2, began stuttering in chapter 9, eventually froze, and then limped along with stuttering and pixilation for a while and then recovered.

Have you checked for a firmware update and what player do you have? I will try and get around to watching BTTF2 before this weekend if I can. I will be using a Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player for my viewing of the title.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes all three steelbooks are in perfect shape.

Good for you. I'm glad they do exist and you were able to get oee.

Did you have damage in shipping? Or you buy it at a local store only to find damage after opening?

I ordered it online and I noticed a very visible scratch on the spine of Part II underneath the shrinkwrap, which means it had to have been sealed like that in the factory. Then I went to my local store to try to exchange it, but all of their copies also had similar scratches across at least one of the three steels. At that point, I gave up and just returned the steelbooks altogether. I bought the regular version instead. It's not worth $20 extra if I couldn't get a clean copy.

Last edited:

Robert Saccone

Premium
Jake Lipson

Yes all three steelbooks are in perfect shape. Did you have damage in shipping? Or you buy it at a local store only to find damage after opening?

Robert Saccone

Have you checked for a firmware update and what player do you have? I will try and get around to watching BTTF2 before this weekend if I can. I will be using a Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player for my viewing of the title.
Oppo UDP-203. I am on the latest firmware.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Perhaps not everyone can add a 1.21 gigawatt flux capacitor to their system ;)...
Ha. I agree. But arbitrarily labeling streaming as “crappy” is inaccurate. It’s not the streaming but your service that is crappy. ;)

Robert Saccone

Premium
I tried BTTF 2 on my Xbox One S and it still has issues with pixilated breakup in the same area on the disc as the Oppo did. Difference is that the Xbox didn’t freeze and then continue. It was able to play through.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Robert Saccone
Last weekend I received the Back to the Future Trilogy on Ultra HD. The first movie played fine. However BTTF Part 2, began stuttering in chapter 9, eventually froze, and then limped along with stuttering and pixilation for a while and then recovered.

Sorry with the passing of Sean Connery just getting around to watching my 4K blu-ray of Back To The Future 2. Not only did I not have any stuttering or skipping in chapter 9 but nothing during the entire movie it played flawlessly.

Back To The Future Trilogys 001.jpg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Now finally having watched all three films in 4k, my impression is that the third film is the one that truly looks 4k. Don't get me wrong, Parts I&II look great, but there is a WOW factor when it comes to the third where you really appreciate the warm colors and extremely sharp detail.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Now finally having watched all three films in 4k, my impression is that the third film is the one that truly looks 4k. Don't get me wrong, Parts I&II look great, but there is a WOW factor when it comes to the third where you really appreciate the warm colors and extremely sharp detail.
Which seems odd considering Parts II and III were shot at the same time, back to back. Seems like they would have used all the same technology, film stock, etc., which would have them looking/sounding nearly identical based on technical specs.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Which seems odd considering Parts II and III were shot at the same time, back to back. Seems like they would have used all the same technology, film stock, etc., which would have them looking/sounding nearly identical based on technical specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks