What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think we had this "Ghost" discussion beforehand with Colin, am I right?

Not that I recall. I did a search on my username and "Ghost" and turned up no prior "Ghost" discussion in which I said anything.

Maybe there's a "Ghost" thread where I participated and couldn't find it, but I don't remember it...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember when my parents bought our first VHS player in 1980 (they paid $1000 for an RCA player with a cord remote. But this unit was built like a tank and lasted 10 yrs...averaging maybe two movies a day). Airplane was one of the early VHS releases we rented over and over again. I haven't seen it since the DVD days....might have to grab this at some point. Not sure how I will like it today and the nostalgia for me is not super strong.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I remember when my parents bought our first VHS player in 1980 (they paid $1000 for an RCA player with a cord remote. But this unit was built like a tank and lasted 10 yrs...averaging maybe two movies a day). Airplane was one of the early VHS releases we rented over and over again. I haven't seen it since the DVD days....might have to grab this at some point. Not sure how I will like it today and the nostalgia for me is not super strong.

That was my first VHS machine too! Sold it over 30 years ago, but I'll bet it's still working. I even have some 40 year old VHS tapes (RCA blanks) that still play fine. T-120's cost $27.50 each back in 1981 (IF you could find them!)

CeAlCuadrado

Auditioning
Real Name
Cristian
One thing I don't like about the Paramount Presents release of Airplane! is that drops the Latin American Spanish dub of the original release (along with the Spanish subtitles).

And it's a shame, because the Latin American Spanish dub of the film is so legendary that it can be paired side by side with the audio in his original language. Ok, it doesn't have the "I'm serious, and don't call me Shirley" joke, but the adaptation of the jokes is so awesome, that the movie can be seen in its original language or in Latin American Spanish, and the comedy works so well in both, so you feel almost nothing was lost in translation.

I'm sticking to the original release, included as part of the Airplane! Double Feature.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I went with the 4k digital version as well.

If Paramount released he Paramount presents titles as UHd Blu ray releases I would be buying them. As they are not I’m just buying the digital 4k versions.

I’ll hold onto my original older Blu-ray for the extras.

thanks Robert for your reviews. I always appreciate reading them!
Your 4K TV will do an upconvert on the 2K blu ray that will be as good as the online digital 4K version (that itself is just an upconvert).
i would only look towards the digital 4K version if it had an HDR/DV pass that was noteworthy.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Are the jive subtitles on this edition?

20200730_193520.jpg

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Your 4K TV will do an upconvert on the 2K blu ray that will be as good as the online digital 4K version (that itself is just an upconvert).
i would only look towards the digital 4K version if it had an HDR/DV pass that was noteworthy.
What evidence do you have that it's an upconvert? The press release states unequivocally:
  • NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
One can argue (as Mr. Harris often does) that certain film gauges and stocks don't benefit much from a 4K transfer but that doesn't mean that a 4K transfer isn't really 4K.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
What evidence do you have that it's an upconvert? The press release states unequivocally:
One can argue (as Mr. Harris often does) that certain film gauges and stocks don't benefit much from a 4K transfer but that doesn't mean that a 4K transfer isn't really 4K.
It can't be a "restoration." Everything ZAZ wanted in the film is on the screen. They took a cassette recorder into the screenings and cut the film when there were no laughs. It might be a new scan in 4K but ...
1596228126493.png
:D!

KMR

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin
It can't be a "restoration." Everything ZAZ wanted in the film is on the screen. They took a cassette recorder into the screenings and cut the film when there were no laughs. It might be a new scan in 4K but ...
:D!

It doesn't have to have any additional content to be a restoration. Not that I'm saying this is necessarily a true "restoration" and not simply a new scan, but if they did go back to the original elements then I think that likely would make this a restoration--"restoring" the film to its originally intended visual and sonic quality when first released.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Good point. Most 35mm prints will be a true 4K resolution if they did a 4K scan.
So if they say it is a 4K scan of 35mm print - the it will truly be 4K resolution.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Most 35mm prints will be a true 4K resolution if they did a 4K scan.
So if they say it is a 4K scan of 35mm print - the it will truly be 4K resolution.

Not really. The majority of release prints, even if the original negative originated with 4K resolution, will suffer a drop in resolution as about 90% of prints are struck from duplicate negatives in order to handle large print runs and to protect the original negative from over-use. They can be, and usually are, several generations away from the original, and with film duplication being analogue, there is an unavoidable loss of quality with each additional generation.. The average wide-release print playing in all but the premiere theatres in big cities was often closer to 2K resolution, and that's one of the reasons the first DCP standard was 2K, as it matched what audiences were generally seeing at the time.

This does not mean that the new Airplane! is not genuine 4K , of course. Talking about 35mm release prints here only.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks