What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The 2020 Blu-ray release of Abrahams, Zucker & Zucker's Airplane has a bit more detail and stability than the 2011 variant. It also has a couple of new extras, in addition to the old.

But sampling the film, after not seeing it for a number of years, I found myself wondering why South of the South can't make an appearance, and Airplane can?

As at least to my vision of the world and the changing landscape of personal taste, race, creed, et al, it's far more offensive than the Disney film.

Still funny, in an odd way, but now with quite inappropriate textures and humor.

I'm actually surprised that the studio released it without some sort of warning. Something like, "This motion picture is racially and ethnically insensitive... but it's all in fun."

If you have the 2011, and are not a major fan, the upgrade won't affect you. If you are, it's inexpensive enough that you can purchase the new one, and gift the old to a homeless person.

Grain seems a bit reduced, but no matter. Color and densities a bit different, and I'm presuming more accurate.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from previous Blu-ray - Unnecessary, unless you're a fan

Recommended

RAH

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I guess this was a bad day to quit buying movies ;)!

1595358152457.png

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I'm surprised it was rated PG in 1980, which Poltergeist was as well two years later. Thanks to political correctness, I think Airplane is even funnier today. I think most of us are just so familiar with the film the "offensive" content doesn't really register. I'm sure the PC brigade will eventually get around to attacking it as well. Can you imagine an edited, non-offensive version? It would (surely) be shorter than the leaflet mentioned in the film of "Famous Jewish Sports Legends."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I thought the consistent laughter I heard at Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein was unique, but it was nothing compared to audiences at Airplane! who pretty much laughed non-stop throughout the film.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Airplane! definitely has a few problematic elements, but I still love the movie despite them. It's probably the film I've watched the most, and still manages to elicit laughs. I think we can acknowledge that there are some racist and sexist moments without wringing our hands about the "PC brigade".

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I still think my recent hernia was exacerbated by this film! it just took 40 more years for the belly laughs over the years to finally take their toll. :lol:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
This is my number one favorite comedy.
I watch it weekly and quote it almost daily.

The iTunes version is 4K.

I went with the 4k digital version as well.

If Paramount released he Paramount presents titles as UHd Blu ray releases I would be buying them. As they are not I’m just buying the digital 4k versions.

I’ll hold onto my original older Blu-ray for the extras.

thanks Robert for your reviews. I always appreciate reading them!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I went with the 4k digital version as well.

If Paramount released he Paramount presents titles as UHd Blu ray releases I would be buying them. As they are not I’m just buying the digital 4k versions.

I’ll hold onto my original older Blu-ray for the extras.

thanks Robert for your reviews. I always appreciate reading them!
There is very little reason for this film to be released in any format higher than 2k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks