What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I wonder if Mr. Flynn ever thought about his position as one of the top Technicolor actors during the three-strip period?

Between 1938 and 1953, he appeared in eleven of them.

Do Henry Fonda and Tyrone Power come close?

As a 1952 production, it's pretty when not in dupes, which all have registration errors - a normal situation for a basic analogue recombine. What's surprising is that is one wished to fix these errors in the HD domain, it can be helped quite a bit.

Aside from that, color looks fine. Grain structure has been carried over to the IP nicely. It's not a new transfer, but it's good enough for home viewing.

Photographed by Russell Metty, who has another of his works arriving shortly in 4k.

Audio is fine.

Not a A list Flynn production, but for those who wish to be completists, like me, it's essential.

Image – 3.75

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
How awful are the registration errors and how often do they appear?
Every transition - entire shots - not cut-ins. Guessing, possibly five minutes of the film, or a bit more. “How awful” depends upon one’s sensitivity to the problem.

I can see them from an adjoining state, and they trouble me. Like women...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd call them distracting but certainly not deal breakers. They're not nearly as bad as those in Bob Hope's The Princess and the Pirate. It's been a few years since my last viewing but, IIRC, an entire reel of that one is so far off it almost looks like it's processed for anaglyph 3D.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Mine will be coming Tuesday ! :D
AGAINST ALL FLAGS POSTER.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd call them distracting but certainly not deal breakers. They're not nearly as bad as those in Bob Hope's The Princess and the Pirate. It's been a few years since my last viewing but, IIRC, an entire reel of that one is so far off it almost looks like it's processed for anaglyph 3D.
I watched the 2012 Koch Blu-ray back in May and I didn't notice any distracting registration problems.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I watched the 2012 Koch Blu-ray back in May and I didn't notice any distracting registration problems.
How did I miss there's a BR of that one? I have the old DVD.

**EDIT**
I can't find that at all anywhere - not even a listing. Are we talking about the same movie?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
How did I miss there's a BR of that one? I have the old DVD.

**EDIT**
I can't find that at all anywhere - not even a listing. Are we talking about the same movie?
It’s out of print but there are still copies available, but no need now with the Kino version coming. I also found the Koch release to be beautiful, so no need to upgrade for me.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
OK... we're talking about different movies. I mentioned the registration issues in the DVD of Against All Flags are not as bad as those in the DVD of the Bob Hope movie The Princess and the Pirate. So I either misunderstood Robert (likely) or he misunderstood me. But it doesn't matter as I have the Kino of Against All Flags on pre-order. Should the Hope movie ever be fixed I'll snag a copy of that one too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OK... we're talking about different movies. I mentioned the registration issues in the DVD of Against All Flags are not as bad as those in the DVD of the Bob Hope movie The Princess and the Pirate. So I either misunderstood Robert (likely) or he misunderstood me. But it doesn't matter as I have the Kino of Against All Flags on pre-order. Should the Hope movie ever be fixed I'll snag a copy of that one too.
My mistake as I didn't read your post correctly and assumed you were talking about the movie in question for this thread.

philip*eric

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
philip jaeger
Currently on sale at Kino Lorber(as are all the just released Arabian Nights movies)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks