What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One of my all-time favorite films.

It's a bit like one of those wines, that's extremely high quality, and easy to drink.

Everything about this film is perfect, which has made it a fan favorite.

The new 4k UHD from Columbia, has taken Penny Marshall's (we could use her in our midst right now) film, and kicked it up a notch with HDR and Dolby Atmos.

For those lucky few who may be seeing it in the studio's new 6-film boxed set, take extra note of the casting and technical behind the players during their time on the field and their older counterparts at the Baseball Hall of Fame. Just beautifully done.

As to the disc itself, perfect color, densities, grain structure, black levels.

The film remains an extraordinary experience.

Look for Tea Leoni as the Racine First Base player.

For those who may wonder how much I love this film, a trinket I picked up at a Hollywood charity auction years ago...

That's Geena Davis' character, Dottie Kamershek, in the upper left.

My feeling about the game playing this year is very simple. If the unions can't work things out, possibly it's time to bring back...

The All American Girls Baseball League. They were great in the past. We can use them again.

IMG_0118.jpg

4k Image – 5 - OLED Panel (HDR)
4k Image - 5 - Projection (HDR)

Audio – 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Don't even ask

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I too love this movie. I have the 25th Anniversary Blu. Hopefully, I'll get a 4K TV when my Panasonic Plasma dies, and this upgrade will make sense.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I recall seeing A League of Their Own the summer it came out, in fact near the end of its run and I’m not kidding the theater was packed!

Reactions: PMF

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My 2nd favorite Baseball Movie that came out in that general time period -- Bull Durham still is #1, but Field of Dreams, The Natural, Cobb, Eight Men Out (comes and goes near the top), Major League, Fever Pitch, and For Love of the Game are definitely lower on the list and I love all of them, Older baseball movies and the kid baseball movies I have a bit harder time ranking.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm a big (life long) baseball fan and historian of it; each time I see this I like it even better. My has it aged well. Wonderful film.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I happened to watch this last night. So good in every way. So many funny moments, and genuine heartbreak when the telegram arrives. Hanks and Davis are terrific.

Does the UHD edition keep the extras from the 25th anniversary blu-ray?

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
The new 4k UHD from Columbia, has taken Penny Marshall's (we could use her in our midst right now) film, and kicked it up a notch with HDR and Dolby Atmos.

I didn't know that she had died (your parenthesis tipped me off). Very sad to hear that. Great director.

Taylor * D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
One of my all-time favourites. I still remember when it came out on video and the local Blockbuster was sold out for the entire weekend. A perfect movie for a hot summer evening.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Was there a moratorium put out for the posting of 4K screenshots from this set? I have yet to see any at the usual sites. I didn't expect to see any here, I was just curious why none have popped up elsewhere.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Mr. Harris has got me in suspense.
Can’t wait to read his takes on the other 3 flicks that are inclusive within this great boxed set. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks