What's new

A few word about... The Greatest Show on Earth (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Paramount's new release of Mr. DeMille's Greatest Show on Earth is a very accurate representation of the look, which could be achieved in the final days of three-strip Technicolor.

Slowly, aficiandos of this very special color process have been able to collect these films on DVD -- but to varying degrees of quality.

The Greatest Show on Earth is a superb example of the technology on DVD, and Paramount should be justifiably proud of their efforts.

Highly recommended.

RAH

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the analysis, Mr. Harris. I have it preordered and I was a little apprehensive, since it's very low-priced. Good to know it's up to the standards. This is another Best Picture winner, and a three-strip Technicolor film to boot, so this was a no-brainer, especially given the low price.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I agree. This has long been a favorite of mine. I'm very pleased with the quality of the transfer.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One thing that has been found as a truth in regard to DVD is that price has little to do with quality.

Paramount, Fox, Warner and Universal have aggressively offered their vault titles as well as a number of current sell-through "blockbusters" at street prices which allow their product to be purchased almost as sell-through or on a whim.

At a price level of $8.99 at DVDEmpire, what could make this an easier decision if one is even thinking about purchasing a title?

A street price like this for an Academy Award Best Picture is unheard of...

or would the correct grammar be...

"...something of which is unheard."

Was it not Winston Churchill who said...

"One should never use a preposition to end a sentence with."

RAH

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Lots of variations out there on that Churchill quote. A website that seems to be the official Churchill site tells it this way:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

It's too bad the same can't be said about Columbia. I haven't hesitated in buying fringe titles from those other four studios that normally I wouldn't have bought if it wasn't for the reasonable pricing structure they offer their consumers. However, I've found Columbia lacking in that regard.

In closing, I'm very happy with this recent dvd release from Paramount. Kudos to them!

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robert I wouldn't hesitate in paying Columbia's prices if their releases featured consistently sparkling transfers, packed with extras. Unlike Fox and Warners, who have upped the stakes with fantastic releases (at amazing prices) of their classic catalogues, Columbia have actually gone backwards in this regard. Universal may be guilty of adding little extras to many of their classics deserving of more fanfare, but at least they offer them at very fair prices.

---
So many films, so little time...

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
In fairness, I'd add MGM to the list of companies offering catalog ttles at reasonable prices, even though I have been dissppointed with some of the transfer on some titles (JACK THE GIANT KILLER being the most recent example).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
In my opinion, Paramount has been very
persistant in putting out quality catalog
releases.

I had the opportunity to meet with their
restoration team two years ago and these
guys really care about the end product.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Ron did the restoration team at Paramount say anything about their silents ? Warner seem to be the only studio with much interest in releasing them. Also while Universal offer value for money as I say on another thread where are all the Paramounts they own ? As far as Columbia goes yes their transfers can be variable though I'm not sure many must have titles from them really remain to be released if what you are talking about is classics.

As John says Fox and Warners have really upped the stakes in terms of quality titles at value for money prices with good extras. Paramount to me are OK but their releases in the UK for the rest of the year have me yawning quite frankly: its mostly just re-releases/repackaging of previously available stuff. As for The Greatest Show On Earth its alright if that sort of thing floats your boat but it probably won the Oscar because the voters knew a relative in the elephantine cast. It may look stunning on DVD but its a so-so movie really.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

Yes the price that DVD Empire is asking for "The Greatest Show On Earth" makes buying it an automatic "no brainer". I unfortunately :D :D had to pay $10.04 for mine. They lowered the price on street day. At this price point ($8.99) I'd be inclined to make many blind buys.

Juan.B

Auditioning
With the poor quality of Columbias offerings, I would think the attempt by Sony/Columbia to purchase MGM does not bode well for the quality of future releases of MGM titles.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
I'm in total agreement with Mr. Harris. TGSOE really does capture that technicolor look that I remember while maintaining a film-like appearance. Bravo! By the way, nice job on Rear Window, Mr. Harris.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I may be wrong but I think this might be the first Best Picture winner without a Best Picture banner on the cover (only a mention on the back). Very strange...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Here's hoping Paramount gets to the delightful SAMSON AND DELILAH soon, maybe bundled with the fine TCM doc about DeMille that aired recently (with comments from SAMSON co-star Angela Lansbury).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks