A few word about... The Greatest Show on Earth

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Paramount's new release of Mr. DeMille's Greatest Show on Earth is a very accurate representation of the look, which could be achieved in the final days of three-strip Technicolor.

Slowly, aficiandos of this very special color process have been able to collect these films on DVD -- but to varying degrees of quality.

The Greatest Show on Earth is a superb example of the technology on DVD, and Paramount should be justifiably proud of their efforts.

Highly recommended.

RAH

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Thanks for the analysis, Mr. Harris. I have it preordered and I was a little apprehensive, since it's very low-priced. Good to know it's up to the standards. This is another Best Picture winner, and a three-strip Technicolor film to boot, so this was a no-brainer, especially given the low price.

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I agree. This has long been a favorite of mine. I'm very pleased with the quality of the transfer.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    One thing that has been found as a truth in regard to DVD is that price has little to do with quality.

Paramount, Fox, Warner and Universal have aggressively offered their vault titles as well as a number of current sell-through "blockbusters" at street prices which allow their product to be purchased almost as sell-through or on a whim.

At a price level of $8.99 at DVDEmpire, what could make this an easier decision if one is even thinking about purchasing a title?

A street price like this for an Academy Award Best Picture is unheard of...

or would the correct grammar be...

"...something of which is unheard."

Was it not Winston Churchill who said...

"One should never use a preposition to end a sentence with."

RAH

5. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Lots of variations out there on that Churchill quote. A website that seems to be the official Churchill site tells it this way:

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

It's too bad the same can't be said about Columbia. I haven't hesitated in buying fringe titles from those other four studios that normally I wouldn't have bought if it wasn't for the reasonable pricing structure they offer their consumers. However, I've found Columbia lacking in that regard.

In closing, I'm very happy with this recent dvd release from Paramount. Kudos to them!

Crawdaddy

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Robert I wouldn't hesitate in paying Columbia's prices if their releases featured consistently sparkling transfers, packed with extras. Unlike Fox and Warners, who have upped the stakes with fantastic releases (at amazing prices) of their classic catalogues, Columbia have actually gone backwards in this regard. Universal may be guilty of adding little extras to many of their classics deserving of more fanfare, but at least they offer them at very fair prices.

---
    So many films, so little time...

8. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    In fairness, I'd add MGM to the list of companies offering catalog ttles at reasonable prices, even though I have been dissppointed with some of the transfer on some titles (JACK THE GIANT KILLER being the most recent example).

9. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    In my opinion, Paramount has been very
    persistant in putting out quality catalog
    releases.

I had the opportunity to meet with their
    restoration team two years ago and these
    guys really care about the end product.

10. Jim Blackie

Jim Blackie Stunt Coordinator

Either way, I love it.

11. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Ron did the restoration team at Paramount say anything about their silents ? Warner seem to be the only studio with much interest in releasing them. Also while Universal offer value for money as I say on another thread where are all the Paramounts they own ? As far as Columbia goes yes their transfers can be variable though I'm not sure many must have titles from them really remain to be released if what you are talking about is classics.

As John says Fox and Warners have really upped the stakes in terms of quality titles at value for money prices with good extras. Paramount to me are OK but their releases in the UK for the rest of the year have me yawning quite frankly: its mostly just re-releases/repackaging of previously available stuff. As for The Greatest Show On Earth its alright if that sort of thing floats your boat but it probably won the Oscar because the voters knew a relative in the elephantine cast. It may look stunning on DVD but its a so-so movie really.

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

great price and a classic film

13. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Yes the price that DVD Empire is asking for "The Greatest Show On Earth" makes buying it an automatic "no brainer". I unfortunately [​IMG] [​IMG] had to pay $10.04 for mine. They lowered the price on street day. At this price point ($8.99) I'd be inclined to make many blind buys.

14. Juan.B

Juan.B Auditioning

With the poor quality of Columbias offerings, I would think the attempt by Sony/Columbia to purchase MGM does not bode well for the quality of future releases of MGM titles.

15. Drew Salzan

Drew Salzan Second Unit

I'm in total agreement with Mr. Harris. TGSOE really does capture that technicolor look that I remember while maintaining a film-like appearance. Bravo! By the way, nice job on Rear Window, Mr. Harris.

16. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I may be wrong but I think this might be the first Best Picture winner without a Best Picture banner on the cover (only a mention on the back). Very strange...

17. Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill Producer

Here's hoping Paramount gets to the delightful SAMSON AND DELILAH soon, maybe bundled with the fine TCM doc about DeMille that aired recently (with comments from SAMSON co-star Angela Lansbury).