A few thoughts on My Darling Clementine

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Robert Harris, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    I was very pleasantly surprised with the arrival of Fox's new DVD of John Ford's classic My Darling Clementine, but it wasn't with the main feature.

Many years ago, Fox placed their studio copy library on deposit with the UCLA Film & TV Archive, and those prints have been not only archived, but available for special screenings at their venue.

One of the prints donated was a pre-release cut of Clementine; a version partially based upon Mr. Ford's editorial decisions and partially upon slightly later decisions and re-shoots ordered by Mr. Zanuck.

While the main body of the disc is the final cut, it is this pre-release version -- some 18 minutes longer -- that caught my interest, as it may other readers on HTF.

In addition to two versions of the film, you'll also find a well thought-out discussion going through several of the re-cut scenes by UCLA's lead archivist, Robet Gitt.

Highly recommended.

RAH

2. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Well, I was wondering if this was a good blind buy. I guess it is.

3. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Definite buy in the New Year along with the Double feature of two versions 1932/1941 of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. That pre-release version sounds fascinating.

4. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Truly looking forward to this film. Multiple versions like this (and The Big Sleep, Strangers on a Train, etc.) are absolutely one of the best extras imaginable. [​IMG]

5. BruceKimmel

BruceKimmel Stunt Coordinator

I got it a few days ago. I'd seen the 'extended' version before and it's a nice extra. What would really be interesting to know is whether that first screening Mr. Zanuck saw of Mr. Ford's edit was a very early version, one that Mr. Ford would have done more work on.

As it is, the film as released is truly wonderful and the longer version doesn't work nearly as well, IMO.

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

RAH,
    I'm not surprise since everytime I ever talked with Fox about this title during the last 3 years or so, I urged them to include the extended version of this great film. Finally, back in September, Fox confirmed to me that both versions will be included on this dvd release which of course, made me a very happy man. Personally, I prefer the extended version over the theatrical release. I'm really looking forward to seeing my copy.

Crawdaddy

7. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Is the audio commentary that Scott Eyman recorded present on the original final-cut theatrical edition?

EDIT: DVD Savant has answered my question.

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

9. Dome Vongvises

Just a quick question: which came first, the movie or the song?

10. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    Borrowed from another website:

Usually attributed to Percy Montross, circa 1880. Additional research indicates that this song is based on another called Down by the River Liv'd a Maiden by H. S. Thompson (1863)

11. Haggai

Haggai Producer

You mean Huckleberry Hound didn't write that song? [​IMG]

I do look forward to checking out this DVD. Gitt had a lot of interesting insights on the one disc where I've heard his comments, Lost Horizon.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  13. Dome Vongvises

Thanks, Mr. Harris.

14. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm envious of those who managed to get a copy already ahead of street date. I've nearly worn out my LD of this film, I'm really looking forward to it. I'm also very much in favor of Studios including alternate versions of a film in the DVD release. [​IMG]

15. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

The song came first. Usually attributed to Percy Montross, circa 1880.

16. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

this is absolutely fantastic news indeed as another fine effort in bringing John Ford classics to the dvd world

I met Mr Robert Gitt earlier in the year in Glasgow for a screening of outtakes for Charles Laugthon only directorial effort with Robert Mitchum in the lead.

[​IMG]

17. obscurelabel

obscurelabel Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    Isn't there a famous story about Ford:

On a particular film, he knew that the studio execs he was working for might meddle with his footage and make changes that he did not want. So he effectively delivered to the studio a "final cut"; in other words, shot only one version of each scene, with little or no coverage (i.e., master shot, two shot, closeups, medium shots, reverse angles, etc. of the same scene), delivering exposed film that could really only be put together one (his) way.

This might very well be apocryphal ... does anyone know if Ford in fact worked this way, to some extent imposing his vision on his films by limiting the footage shot to his vision of each scene? Does the alternate version of MDC shed any light on his methods?

18. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I've heard that story about Hitchcock, but not Ford.

19. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

20. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Come to think of it, Night of the Hunter is indeed the name of the movie.

David

I will sent you a PM in a few days time as I don't have access from now until tuesday