What's new

A few things that bother me...before I forget (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Okay, this bothers me:

When I was a wee tot, I thought I dug Lynyrd Skynyrd. You know: SOUTHERN ROCK, man! The Florida Guitar Army! "FREEBIRD"! Logo with skulls and crossed revolvers! Rebel flags! Look how evil we are, mothereffers!

One of my favorite live LPs was "One More From The Road," big two-record live show, lots of energy, etc.

Not available complete on CD until about two years ago, in some "deluxe edition" thing. I immediately snap it up, and could not wait to hear it -- remastered! Live! SKYNYRD!

You know what? They suck.

I mean, they were not evil at all. They were pansies. "Tuesday's Gone"? What was I thinking? This stuff is lame! LAME! I mean, all you need to do is throw on The Allman Bros Fillmore East CD and you'd see what I mean: The Allmans SMOKE HARD. That's a serious, evil blues experience. Even Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus," also recently out on a "deluxe edition" CD, is amazing and deep. But the Skynyrd thing... It was just tepid and lame. Not even exciting.

It bothers me that I spent so much time as a youth thinking that they were even good, when in reality they are lame.

They gyped me.

MC

Don't forget: http://www.youdrivelikeanidiot.com

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL Micah, Kind of like KISS...Why did we think they were so evil? Paul Stanley seems like the biggest wuss, who'd pee his pants and run like a girl if he were ever confronted by a big guy. :laugh:

Here's another one:
Annoying/Animated Banner ads that distract you from reading info on a web page.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
True. But, for some reason I can still listen to (old) KISS and sort of dig it. The makeup, or something...? I mean, stuff like "God Of Thunder," and some of Gene's old songs, before he got so s-e-r-i-o-u-s, or so o-l-d, some of that stuff still sort of holds up, if you close your eyes and imagine blood and fire and makeup and stuff. Maybe.

But, and I hate to belabor my point, Skynyrd is (was) a bunch of guys who are really excellent musicians. Superb, even, talented. (KISS, I mean, who's kidding whom here?) And even tho it was six super-talented guys they STILL couldn't write the songs that lived up to their "reputation." In my opinion. Why have crossed revolvers in your logo, making dumb teenage boys all gaa-gaa, when you're singing dumb awful wimpy songs like "Saturday Night Special"?

I wasted a lot of time and effort on Skynyrd when I was a kid. I want that time back. I don't feel near so gyped by KISS.

PS - I recently had this same thought about Simon & Garfunkel, and ended up selling back all my Paul Simon and S&G CDs. It just made me embarrassed to be listening to it; I'd feel like Chevy Chase in VACATION when the model drives up in the next lane. What was I thinking?! I don't get that feeling (much) with KISS.

PSS - Billy Joel is the next artist to get the heave-ho from my CD collection. "James"? What the heck kinda song is that? What on earth is that about? What was I thinking LIKING this stuff? I'll keep the best early Billy Joel, "Songs From The Attic," which has that great evil version of "Everybody Loves You Now," but the whole rest of the catalog -- OUT THE DOOR!

This all bothers me.

MC

And there's still this: http://www.youdrivelikeanidiot.com, not to belabor a point or anything...

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

As a child of the 80s growing up listening to the likes of Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran, "KISS" was perceived by everyone I knew to be some almighty evil band, "Knights In Satan's Service" and all that nonsense.

A few years ago, after my brother bought the Detroit Rock City DVD, I finally heard some of their stuff, in particular "I Want To Rock And Roll All Night" (is that correct?). My thoughts were "Eh, these are the evil Satanic fellas everyone seemed to be so fearful of in the 80s???"

No doubt in a few more years, the so-called "most dangerous band in the world", Guns N' Roses, will be seen the same way :D

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Turn Signal is a definate peeve of mine. The most annoying ones turn it on as they are already turning and just make it flash twice as if to say "...oh, yeah, I'm turing so's I better touch the stick just for a second."

Along the same lines, Left signal = left turn, NOT a right turn. They especailly love to pull this on you as you think, "oh, their turning left, I'll just start to pull by." and you almost collide with them as they change their mind and go right. :angry:

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Okay, I guess I have sold this thread short. Too much stuff bothers me to let it go at just Lynyrd Skynyrd.

It bothers me that that no matter what, you're never ever holding the polarized plug the correct way to just slip it into the outlet, you always have to turn it around.

It bothers me that I am not getting enough fiber in my diet.

It bothers me that I was not born rich and good looking. Or, at least even just good looking. Even just a little bit. At least, I could have gotten a chin, for goodness sakes.

It bothers me that even a dozen years onto our use of them, we have still not mastered any kind of cell phone etiquette, that general consideration for others has slipped to an alarming low, and that states have not cracked down harder on drivers who continue to fail to use hands-free phones while driving.

It bothers me that no matter how much potpourri you buy, your house still never smells like the potpourri store.

It bothers me that most modern popular music is so bland, bad and pointless that the antique bubble gum pop song "Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini" is a towering masterpiece of songwriting in comparision.

It bothers me that women still think they can be friends with men.

The whole concept of "working for someone else" bothers me.

George Lucas and Steven Spielberg (SpieLucas) and the sheeple who buy into their various manias bother me.

This bothers me: http://www.funpic.hu/swf/numanuma.html

This is just The Short List, too. And that bothers me.

MC

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, there aren't any "rules", but you wouldn't hang a picture upside down, you wouldn't turn your computer montior on it's side, you wouldn't display a cross upside down (unless you meant that ;))...

The point is, these magnets are meant to make a very strong statement by the person displaying it, so if you're going to make such a statement, I find it odd that you'd display it improperly. Just as I would be pissed if you displayed the flag improperly.

IMHO, improperly displayed ribbons tell me that the person just bought the magnet to be "cool" - if they really understood the meaning behind it, they'd sure as heck display it properly.

Kind of like this...What would you say to someone who said the following:
I am the BIGGEST Van Halen fan around! When Michael Van Halen plays that guitar solo during "Explosion", he's just the greatest!

See what I mean, if you're gonna make such a bold statement, you'd better get it right. ;)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Madonna has been known for her ENCORE of Holiday at the end of all her shows... however, I saw her DWT and she ended the show with Holiday and then Music and then just walked off the stage. That was it. Personally I was suprised, but the majority of the people there were pissed off! After the show people kept going on and on about how she screwed up the end of the show by not doing the fake ending bit and then coming back and singing Holiday.

Frankly, I couldn't care less.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

We have very strict "no mobile phone while driving" laws. Apparently, the police take the view that even pressing the one button on your hands-free kit plugged into your ear to answer the phone constitutes "using a mobile phone while driving", which strikes me as being a bit extreme since there's no law against changing radio stations etc.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Pulling over cell phone users would be like pulling over speeders...EVERYONE would get tickets. :D

There just aren't enough cops to pull everyone over.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks