What's new

A few things that bother me...before I forget (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Gary, I think it has to do with concentration. Closing your eyes can help block out your sight so that's one less 'sense' to interfere with your thought process. Also, closing your eyes stimulates you to sleep, so maybe it's a way of relaxing (as you mentioned by people being stressed) in order to convey their message.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Maybe she just can't stand the sight of you. :p)

A few things that bother me:

Drivers who turn without signaling. I see this a lot in residential areas (such as the one where I live).

A cellphone with its default ringtone. It's bad enough we have to be subjected to their private conversations in a public place, but can't we at least have an intersting tune?

Tsunamis that wipe out a seventh of a million people. Things like this make me realize how lucky I really am.

Happy new year everybody!!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Gary->dee, your post reminded me of this one:

People who move their lips while you're talking. I've only encountered a few people that will sort of "mouth along" with what you're saying... but it's annoying. It's like they know the punchline or are waiting for a moment to jump in and finish your sentence for you.

Packaging instructions that don't work. I just had this happen this morning when opening a package of tortillas. "Tear here" it says pointing to a perforation that runs the length of the bag. However, when I begin to tear the perforation fails a few inches into it. The thing is, it never works. I always wind up with a feeling like I've been fooled again by the tortilla company for falling for it.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm annoyed by drivers who think they're doing you a favor by gradually getting into the shoulder before their turn, thinking they're letting you by when in actuality they're still just blocking the road because the other lane has traffic coming. I'd prefer it if they just stayed in the lane because whatever they're trying to communicate by going into the shoulder is what brake lights and turn signals are for!

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
Second that packaging peeve. I notice over Christmas that everything I got was packaged as if no one was ever going to open it. Those blister packs that require a box cutter and gloves to get into, kids toys that have 67 twist ties attaching them to the box, shirts with 15 pins to hold the folds (although they're always wrinkled anyway), DVD's with security tape on all three open sides, and on & on.
It sometimes seems more care is spent in the packaging than on the actual product itself.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Electronics MANUALS on EBAY.
I hate looking through Ebay for equipment because usually more than half the listings are for owners or service manuals.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Ive only been to 2 concerts that didnt have an encore.

Perfect Circle
Tool

I guess Maynard doesnt like encores! ;)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Overpackaging has become my primary problem over the last few years.

Especially frustrating is packaging that seems to be specifically designed so that when you finally get the damn thing open the contents will inevitably fly all over the room, forcing you to go back and buy more.

This used to be pretty much restricted to otc medicines but now it's happening with all kinds of products, especially food items.

I've actually been known to rent a dvd rather than buy it only to avoid the hassle of security stickers.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

YES! I was just wondering what the purpose of this was this past Christmas!

My son got a helicopter toy that was held in place with 13 pieces of wire when it could've been packaged with 2 or 3 and achieved the same level of stability. I was ready to fly over to Malaysia and throttle the sweat-shop kid who's responsible. :angry:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The reason is because they aren't "kids" toys. ;) (hint, hint, "collectors")

In the same lines with the directions that don't work: I hate:
Sofware help files that SUCK!
I was working with a DVD program and there was a menu item for "Menu Button Routing" - I needed a little help and used the help documentation that came with the software. No where did they talk about menu button routing. I even typed in "Menu Button Routing" into the help's search area and it found no instances. :angry: I mean, there it was in the friggin' menu list and no instance of it in the help???? WTF!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
People who insist on shipping you a box with a one pound item, and packing it with seemingly two bags of styrofoam peanuts.

People who come to your house and ask "Do you have anything to eat?" Damn, people, if you come over hungry, bring your own farking food.

Childrens toys that require so many damn batteries it's unbelievable.. what's the deal with every hotwheels racetrack taking like 3 C batteries etc.. can't the kids just roll the cars around without a cave yelling "woo-ha-ha-ha, I'll get you now" what does that do for the toy? Outside of annoy the piss out of the parents.

Toy electronic pianos. You've heard it. You've fled from it. They all have a switch on the bottom as a store display that reads "Demo Mode" throw them into Demo mode and the toy will play on it's own until the batteries die with songs that no one can love. And it just goes on and on. And your kids can find that button within the first four minutes of getting the toy.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Yep. The wife and I just bought (ordered) a new car, and they had some "free" packages thrown in if you financed at least 70% of the purchase price over at least 7 years, e.g. free first-yr insurance, two installments free, and 3 accessory upgrades (worth about $3K). But once you factor in the additional interest, it doesn't make sense, especially since we only need to finance less than half the purchase price, and can afford to pay that off in 3 years.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Me too. There are few things more annoying than someone's cell phone playing some cutesy little ditty that everyone else is apparently supposed to find "cool" or "hip". Cell phones in general wouldn't irritate me half as much if they'd just "ring" like other phones.

One recent thing that's pissing me off is taking parts of two perfectly normal words and tacking them together to make one new nonsense word (i.e. "gi-normous"). :angry: There are plenty of words to use already, people, we don't need to create stupid new baby-talk ones.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I work at Subway and the most annoying thing, aside from rude and impaitent customers, are the customers who give their entire order at the first person as if they're at McDonalds or Burger King and they expect that person to remember their entire order the whole way down the line.

Hello people! It's not like we're a fast food joint where the food is practically made by the time you order it. Aargh!

People not using their turn signals is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to driving. How hard is it to move your hand 2 inches and flick that piece of plastic when you're turning? It even goes back into place when you're done making the turn.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I wish my cell phone had the sound of a real old fashioned ringing sound.

people who dont signal when they turn drive me nuts.
especially if i'm waiting to go through an intersection and another car is coming, i have to wait for them to come through, then all of a sudden they turn down the other street.
if they used the signal i could have gone through without waiting for lazy bones.

People who do the little "swerve" when making a turn into the neighboring lane, the one i'm in.
why cant they just turn without making a big wide move into the next lane.

OK, in a two lane highway, your behind a car going relatively slow.

So you speed up alittle and go into the other lane and start to pass.
All of a sudden this slow car starts to speed up as if you just insulted him by trying to go past him.

Whats the deal with that?

people who come into a thread about complaints, and then complain about the thread about complaints.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
Left-lane bandits. The people who get in the left lane on the highway or a major road and stay right at the speed limit or below it and tie up traffic.

As TonyD mentioned, some of these people will speed up when you go to pass them out of anger or to trap you in the right lane. I love downshifting to second or third and blowing past them. Talk about angry looks. I've had a couple get so mad, they try and tailgate me after that, no matter what the speed.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
Somewhat related to over-packaging, I hate when manufacturers place stickers (usually barcode) directly on their products instead of on the plastic shrinkwrap. This seems to happen often on kitchen products (mixing spoons, pitchers, etc). After using half a bottle of goo-gone and soaking for 20 minites, I still can't get the sticker residue off some of these items.

Eddie W.

Stunt Coordinator
People who leave long voice mails and then speed through their phone number at then end without any sort of breaks. This happens particularly at work. i.e. 'blah blah blah, call me back at 8374394214'. And I have to play back the entire message 3 times just to grasp the number. What's so hard about saying 837 (pause) 394 (pause) 4214? (made up # btw).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks