1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

A few *simple* Anthem AVM-20 questions.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Drew_W, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

A local dealer is offering me one for $2600CAD including tax. It's in silver. I currently have a black one, and I want a silver one so it matches the rest of my rack. I've got a few questions though:

1) Is this a good price for a dealer demo?
    2) Are there any additional benefits from buying it from an authorized dealer, besides having it in the colour I want, and having the Anthem 5 year warranty in my name (the black one I have I bought used, so it has no warranty)? I'm asking in terms of upgradability, and whether Anthem will do them on un-warrantied products...as well as any other benefits I haven't thought of.
    3) Kind of connected to my first question, should I just forego this swap and wait to get an AVM-30? Going rate for used AVM-20s still seems high, so I'm banking on doing the swap with little loss, but I'm interested in hearing what kinds of deals people have been getting on AVM-30s...and well, whether it's practical to shell out the extra cash to get a new 30 versus the demo 20.

Feedback please? I like bouncing ideas off people, and since this represents a major purchase, I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything.

Thanks.

2. Minesh Patel

Minesh Patel Stunt Coordinator

No experience with the 30, but the 20 is such a stellar performer if I were you I'd already have the black 20 listed on audiogon.

Good luck, enjoy the music!

3. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I got the feeling from that huge AVM-30 thread over at avs that a lot of people wished that they DIDNT upgrade from the 20 to the 30.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Why is that?

5. anth_c

anth_c Stunt Coordinator

Drew,

Not sure if I understand you, but are you buying a new one just to get a silver faceplate? Have you contacted Anthem to see if they sell the faceplates? I know B&K sells the faceplates, it includes the matching knobs for $100.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I'll contact them on Tuesday. Someone had suggested that in another thread of mine but I never followed up on it.

I was also under the impression that I'd be getting full warranty with it, which was the second reason for the swap.

Turns out though that the v2 they have is an upgraded v1, which means it's a good 2+ years old...so I'm not even going to get full warranty, probably only half.

The faceplates route might be the way to go. I do hope they offer them. I know Bryston does this as well, so it seems many do. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestion.

7. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I dont really recall. Its sketchy, but I believe the 30 didnt have (or do) something that the 20 did, and some owners missed that. Pretty vague, eh? You should follow up on that thread.