What's new

A few (random) questions for HTFers from Alberta (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My wife and I just returned from a nine day trip through the Canadian Rockies. We've spent a lot of time in eastern Canada, but this was our first extended stay in western Canada (we've spent a night in Vancouver and made a day trip to Waterton in southern Alberta from Glacier National Park in Montana). Anyway, I was curious about a few things:

1. I ordered iced tea in two different restaurants (one in Jasper, one in Banff) and received sweetened tea both times. Each time I was told that they did not have unsweetened tea, and the waitress at the 2nd place said that unsweetened tea was not common in Canada. I do not remember this being the case in eastern Canada, and at least in the southern states you get the choice of unsweetened or "sweet tea". Is unsweetened ice tea really unheard of in western CA?

2. I was surprised that Highway 1 in Calgary became a regular four lane road with stop lights at every corner. Trying to get from the airport to Banff (and the return trip) was a royal pain going through downtown Calgary. Did I miss a restricted access highway bypass that would have taken me west of the city? I mapped my route both with an online AAA trip tick and my Garmin GPS software.

3. We drove past Olympic Park in Calgary and could see the ski jumps and bobsled/luge runs used in the Calgary Winter Olympics. However, when in Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper we never saw any mention of where the alpine events were held. Which area(s) held the downhill events?

4. I had a hard time finding one of my favorite Canadian beers -- Molson Export. I only found one pub/restaurant that we went to that had it (bottled, not draught). The waiter in the pub said they were the only place in Banff that carried it. Is Molson Ex that uncommon in this area?

FYI, we absolutely loved the Canadian Rockies area. The region is simply stunning. We spent four nights in Banff, one in Lake Louise, three in Jasper, and the final night in Calgary -- we just stayed near the airport there to catch a morning flight home, so we didn't really experience Calgary except for the drive across town in and out. We also made a day side trip to Yoho.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
1. Un-Sweetened Ice Tea isn't common in chain restraunts, most of the private owned coffee shops and the like have it though.

2. Highway 1 turns into 16th ave. Highway 2 turns into the Deerfoot, and is 100Km straight through (I am told, I don't drive).

3. ?? IIRC it was lake louise for the slaom events. some were by Kanaskis as well.

4. I only drink Guiness so I can't help you with that one. I have seen it in the Beer stores though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Highway 2 is a north/south road connecting Calgary to Edmonton. Highway 1 runs east/west (from B.C. to the Manitoba/Ontario border, where it appears to become 17).

I just thought it was strange that a city as large as Calgary had no "bypass" for a major thru-way like Highway 1. The interstate freeway system in the U.S. is not setup that way around any major city that I've ever seen, and in eastern Canadian the freeways also continue through larger cities (Toronto, Hamilton, Niagra Falls, etc.).

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Heck, the loop around Winnipeg is so large as to be one of the more prominent features on a map of North America. Of course that's partly the Mercator projection at work…

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks