A few questions mostly related to Amps!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin*Ha, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Kevin*Ha

Kevin*Ha Agent

Howdy folks,

So at the moment I have an Onkyo TR-SX500 htib setup that does the job in smaller rooms, but leaves me wanting more in our new, larger DVD viewing area. So, I've learned over the last 2 years that htib's while decent aren't spectacular, but for all my research I'm still left with some questions which sort of lead into eachother.

1) Does one need an SACD 'capable' receiver to play SACD's (assuming you already own an SACD/DVD player). I always assumed if you hooked the SACD player to the receiver via a digital coax/optical the receiver wouldn't really matter (as long as it was a half-decent 5.1). Lately I've seen receivers listed with SACD input as an option, however. While I am a DVD man my wife is a serious music listener and loves SACD's, so I want to make sure they sound just right.

2) That leads me to asking for recommendations on receivers if the answer to the above question is 'yes' (or no, but hey). I'd like to keep it around $500, but would be willing to go to ~$700 if the quality difference is noticeable. The problem I'm having finding one is that I go to review sites and I see $399 amps rated higher than $900 receivers based on price, not on sound or features. Our room is 16x12x10. My inputs would be my SACD/DVD player via digital coax and likely our television. 6.1/7.1 would be great, and all the goodies (DD EX, DTS-ES, Neo:6).

3) This leads me to speakers. I should probably ask this in the speaker forum but since I don't want to spam up the posts I'll take a stab here - recommendations for speakers? The only caveat here is size. I would like the rear surround/rear center/front center to be less than 18 inches high/wide. The front mains can be floor standing or however large is necessary to achieve musical bliss. I know you should spend half the budget on speakers so anywhere from 5-800 would be good. Oh - sub can be any size also, as long as it isn't a kitchen table.

Thanks in advance!

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

SACD and DVD-A can not be output over a digital connection due to copyright laws. SACD must be decoded in the DVD player and sent to the receiver (I am assuming when you say amps you really mean a A/V receiver) using 6 analog cables. That means your receiver needs to have a 6 channel input, which most HTIBs do not.

3. Kevin*Ha

Kevin*Ha Agent

Hm, obviously I need to do some more research on this. I was under the impression that the SACD/DVD player would just be hooked up to the receiver via the digital coax. If I need 6 analog inputs I suppose that's another consideration. Thanks!

4. John S

John S Producer

Etronics has the H/K AVR-525 for $569, probably one of the best deals going right now. That is 7.1 with most all the bells and whistles.

On speakers....

For HT the meanest sub you can get provides the most impact.

Of course for music, the speakers used provide the most impact....

This weekend, I am installing a 6.1 room where I suggested the onwer get a 15" Velodyne sub for $499, 3 pair of of JBL S26II's for under $500 total, and a Denon 1804 AVR, I actually do not know here he got the Denon from. But I expect this system to be top notch for both music and ht duties. He has an older RCA HDTV Ready something or another, but it has never seen HDTV on any of it's inputs yet, so that also remains to be seen... Pun intended.. lol

5. Kevin*Ha

Kevin*Ha Agent

I was actually just reading through the manual for the AVR525 - it looks great, I'll have to go listen to one locally, and the price certainly is right. The only thing I'm still confused about is the SACD thing, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. My SACD/DVD player is the Pioneer DV563A, so I suppose I have to connect each output channel to the appropriate input channel on the receiver (front l/r, rear l/r etc, sub).

On the JBL speakers - I can't find any information on them on the JBL website. Do you just use 2 as the fronts, 2 as the rears, and 1 each as the front center and rear center?

Thanks again fellas!

6. John S

John S Producer

yep.. JBL S26II's... 3 pair, for the entire 6.1 system, this gives an optimial exact same speaker all the way around, which is prefered.

The guy I am installing this weekend got them here...

http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/p...iliate_code=PG

JBL S-series speakers are highly regaurded, and these are fairly small but pack near floorstander performance in them.

7. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

What system does she currently listen to them on? If it's been via digital output the whole time, that's a shining example of a placebo affect since she was listening to SACD's at CD quality. She'll be in for real treat once you get the analog cables and receiver to handle SACD quality.

8. Kevin*Ha

Kevin*Ha Agent

Thanks John - that looks like a good deal for 6 speakers. I wonder if my local A/V store has something similar I can listen to.

Wayne - she currently doesn't listen to them at home for multiple reasons (htib doesn't sound particularly good, perhaps because we have it setup incorrectly, or perhaps just because it isn't very good. Also, it's our tv audio, so it's normally occupied), her place of employment has a setup that makes me drool and if I'm not mistaken they have it setup correctly. Of course they are pros and I am not. [​IMG]

It actually turns out my receiver (the Onkyo I mentioned above) does have the 6 channel input, but since it doesn't have DD EX, DTS ES, 6.1/7.1 etc, I'll definitely be upgrading either way, at least now I know how to set it up in the interim. Those connections are just analog RCA's as far as I can tell so no worries there.

Thanks again guys, the advice is really appreciated!

9. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

You might just want to check into which standard you're leaning more towards b/c that Pioneer 563A has bass management issues. Either that or you might be better off waiting for the next generation of universal players to circulate into the market by the middle of this year.

10. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

As an alternative to using the 6-ch ins for SACD, you could just listen to the 2-ch layer and use any regular 2-ch analog input on your receiver. SACD does have to be connected via analog, but the 6-ch connection isn't entirely necessary if you only wanted stereo sound.