A few questions from the new guy. (Kenwood specific, but all help is appreciated!)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Da, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Nick_Da

Nick_Da Agent

Hey guys, I'm new around these parts, and I've been floating around this forum for around a month. I can't even begin to explain how much I've learned because of this forum. Definitely the best Home Theater information site and forum that I've ever been to. So hopefully I can get a few questions answered, and I'm sorry if these questions have been asked to death already.

1. Finally, I'll be able to experience surround sound. In 2 days, on my birthday, I'll be getting a Toshiba 4400 DVD player, with an optical cable. I have the Kenwood VR-507 receiver, and either an HTB-404 or HTB-444, I can't remember which (I'm at college right now, and the system's back home). Anyways, all I need for surround sound is the optical cable, right? Obviously I have the other cables necessary for sound (monster AV cables) so is that all I'll need? And will DTS work on this system too?

2. Once I get surround sound hooked up, which sound setting should I have it on? On the Kenwoods, there are a bunch of sound settings, like stadium, circle surround, jazz, disco, etc. Before I found out that you needed digital coax/optical for surround sound, I thought that I was experiencing true surround sound because the option circle 5.1 was a surround sound simulator. Will there be a setting to put it to when TRUE surround is enabled (maybe a surround option, or something similar)? Or should I put the sound on circle, stadium, or one of the settings?

3. This might sound like a really dumb question, but I'm pretty curious. Kenwood owners will probably be able to answer this best. Is there a huge difference between the sound quality of 5.1 and DTS, as opposed to the simulated circle 5.1 surround sound? The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting all excited for true surround sound, but I'm hoping that the difference is HUGE, or at least noticeable, so I won't be disappointed with the results.

4. Kenwood owners, when hooking up my audio cables to the receiver, should I hook them into the jacks labeled "CD/DVD", or the jacks that are DVD 6 channel output? Which would yield the best results?

5. Should I have the settings at D-AUTO, D-manual, or ANALOG? I'm guessing D-AUTO, because it will be able to recognize when a DVD has DTS capabilities, right? Or not? Again, Kenwood owners probably know what I'm talking about best here.

Sorry for all of the questions guys, and I'm sure some of these topics have been beaten to death, but I just want to make sure that I'm on the right track here. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and sorry again for the length!

Nick

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome Nick,

1. I'm not familiar with the model of receiver but most new receivers these days are capable of dts, as are most (if not all) new DVD players. So short answer is YES, you should be able to do dts with tht optical connection.

2. DSP modes are a subjective thing. Some people do not like them saying they change the intended soundtrack by jazzing it up, others say it makes things sound better. For you, I would probably recommend you either turn off the dsp mode alltogether, or if you want to use a setting, use a cinema/movie mode. Again, I am not fmiliar with that model of receiver.

3. True DD/dts5.1 will always blow away any type of simulation.

4. Not sure what you mean here, please explain what audio cables you refer to.

5. D-Auto sounds like the option to pick out of those 3 but a fellow Kenwood owner could answer that one.

3. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Nick, I have the Kenwood VR-507 so I'll add to what Neil has recommended:
    I would use Circle Surround or DPL II for all non-DD/DTS sources, i.e., cable, satellite, VHS, etc. As I mentioned in another thread I prefer CS 5.1 over DPL II but that's very subjective.

4. Nick_Da

Nick_Da Agent

Cool, thanks Neil and Vin, you guys have been a huge help. Neil, what I was referring to was audio cables that you use to get sound from the receiver when you don't have digital coaxial or optical cables connected. If I have an optical cable, and I plug it from my DVD player into the receiver, do I still need the red and white plugs as well? Or do they not matter anymore and I can unplug them? I guess I'm still a little fuzzy on that. As long as I have an optical cable, then I don't need the other red and white audio cables, because they aren't crucial in obtaining true surround sound. Or am I wrong on that? But other than that, you guys have helped a lot, and thanks again.

Nick

5. Kevin Silence

Hi Nick Da,

I got the HTB-544, which comes with the VR-509. The HTB-504 comes with the VR-507. But there aren't many difference between the two...just a few more bells and whistles and better remote.

For sound effects, there is a huge difference between real 5.1 and DTS, and simulated surreound.

Having said that, I prefer the ProLogic II Movie setting, when listening to a simulated mode. But, sometimes I like the Circle Surround Mode. The PLII offers more realistic surround (more subtle), while the Circle Surround has a fuller sound with more bass. Sometimes, I try some of the other modes for watching ballgames, etc. This is purely up to your tastes.

Set yours up to D-Auto. This will allow your receiver to detect between 5.1 anf DTS and make the appropriate switch automatically. Like someone else said, make sure your DVD player is set to play DTS. Also a nice feature, when switching to Video 1, etc., your receiver will remember your last listen mode setting (such as ProLogic II, Circle Surround, etc.).

I use optical and have my DVD set to CD/DVD.

Happy listening, this Kenwood system is a good start for beginners like you and me. And we can upgrade to better speakers when ready.

6. Nick_Da

Nick_Da Agent

Kevin, thanks a lot too, you've been very helpful as well. I'm still confused on another thing, however. Before, when I didn't have optical or digital coax cables, I only had simulated surround sound. So when I would watch movies, I would put the sound setting on Circle Surround or Pro Logic II Movies, because they gave the best sound quality, in my opinion. However, now that I have an optical cable, is there still a sound setting that I should choose? I know this sounds confusing, so let me try to explain. Now that I have actual surround sound, what mode do I choose? Do I still choose from circle surround, stadium, pro logic II, or is there another setting that I choose when I have actual surround sound capability? Is there a surround opition, as opposed to circle, or jazz, disco, etc? I'm still confused on that, otherwise, you guys have set me straight.

Nick

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Nick, using the optical connection from your DVD player to your receiver (and choosing D-Auto) is all you need...the red and white analog cables won't be necessary. Also, you don't need to choose anything from your receiver, it will automatically sense the digital signal that it's receiving from the optical cable, hence, the D-auto setting. Keep in mind though that there are times when the default soundtrack for some DVDs will be Dolby Surround instead of Dolby Digital....if you don't see all the indicator lights on the face of your receiver showing that all 6 channels are active, you may have to go into the disc's menu and choose the DD 5.1 (or DTS) soundtrack.

You'll probably want to continue to use CS 5.1 or DPL II for your other sources, cable/satellite, VHS, etc. that are connected to your receiver with the red and white stereo cables.

Vin

8. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

I have the Kenwood HTB 544 and have some questions and since some others with it are contributing here, I figured I'd ask.

When I connect my DVD to DVD/CD I don't get any sound so I have it in Video 2. I am using Digital Coax for the DVD and optical for the sat.

With the remote, I can only switch between Video 1 and AV/Aux. Can you use your remote to select other video inputs, since my Sat is on Video 3.

Any help?

9. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

10. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

11. Larry Hoffman

Larry Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

"Now that I have actual surround sound, what mode do I choose? Do I still choose from circle surround, stadium, pro logic II, or is there another setting that I choose when I have actual surround sound capability? Is there a surround opition, as opposed to circle, or jazz, disco, etc? I'm still confused on that, otherwise, you guys have set me straight."

Nick, the options you are referring to can be tuned on or off. As long as you have a digital connection from your DVD to your receiver, you will have the capability of surround sound. Once the DVD player is set to send Dolby Digital and DTS, you can choose which you want in the sound or language setup with each DVD you play. The modes you are talking about are effects that tailor the sound, rather than what give you surround sound. Start by leaving them off and using Dolby Digital or DTS. Then try them and see if you like what they do.

I'm a bit of a purist as far as sound is concerned and leave my amp in my stereo flat and those surround modes in my surround reciever off. I'd be interested in hearing if you prefer Dolby Digital or DTS. I have found DTS superior in most cases, at least with my system.

Just make sure that you set up your system using Avia or Video Essentials so that all the speakers are balanced. (I found that it is almost impossible to set the sub right. You will invariably have it set too high).

That is extremely important.

Mostly, have fun with your system and watch lots of movies!!!

Larry.

12. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

Todd,

I have the 509 also, and if I remember correctly (I'm at work, so I don't have the manual available), unless you program the remote for a specific device, it will skip that selection. Check the book again under the "programming devices" section.

richN

13. Todd Henry

Todd Henry Second Unit

Rich,

Thanks for the help. That solved the problem.

Todd