A few questions/comments about sacd and dvd-a

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben_wood, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased my first two dvd-a titles and I'm really impressed with them. Being a big Yes fan, "Fragile" and "Magnification" were must-have discs. My dvd player doesn't decode (is that the proper term?) the dvd-a layer, so I'm limited to the lower resolution Dolby Digital and dts modes - but I was still blown away by the clarity and impact of the music I heard. How much better is the audio from a true dvd-a player? My player (a Sony DVP-NS500V) is SACD compatable, however I have been underwhelmed with the SACDs I have heard through it. Does anyone else have these same impressions? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Hi Ben,
    You are likely to find a big improvement in sonics from the DVD-A tracks on "Fragile." I don't know if the same is true with "Magnification"--I have it but haven't listened to both versions yet.

Which SACDs have you listened to on your NS500V? I have a NC650V, another of Sony's DVD/SACD players at the lower end of the price spectrum. I notice a lot of difference between SACD and CD with most music, except for the rare occasion when I've found a really well mastered CD version to compare to the SACD version.

3. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

I enjoy classic rock so I bought Journey's greatest hits. Sony sent me two sampler cds, one of the Stones. I have considered getting Toto "IV" also. I just seem to hear a lot more difference between the dvd-a and redbook versions than the SACD and their counterparts. But my experience with these newer formats has been somewhat limited and my player is , I believe, at the bottom of Sony's SACD/DVD lineup.

4. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

The Journey SACD's and most of the rock SACD's have been at times no better than the Redbook versions.

The exception is the Stones SACD's where "Let It Bleed" and "Beggers Banquet" really shine.

It wasn't till I bought a James Taylor SACD that I discovered SACD can sound very good.

So far SACD has been very strong with Jazz and lite pop titles. Less so with Rock titles. For instance the Alice In Chains SACD is no better than the redbook version.

But a recent very good Rock title on SACD was Blue Oyster Cult's "Agents Of Fortune". I think most of The Stones SACD's are excellent (but not multi-ch) and of course we are all looking forward to the Pink Floyd DSOTM SACD.

The new Police SACD's are also very good. Make sure you try the hybrid "Classics" collection. It has some cool multi-channel mixes along with the classic stereo ones.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I've been very happy with SACD performance on my DVP-NS500V. However, I've only listened to about 5 discs, mostly old jazz.

TO answer your question, I've found that a good DTS track can sound very good, as a matter of fact, completely acceptible to me. However, the DVD-A layer does sound slightly better. The DD compatability tracks that I've heard sound only fair when compared to the full resolution DVD-A tracks.

6. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

While I think the DVDA discs I have are outstanding (Hotel California, 2 Against Nature, etc.), the one SACD that I have, the Jerry Goldsmith movie music, sounds excellent. Once you hear something as good as Hotel California in high rez, it is hard to listen to it any other way again! Bring on DARK SIDE!!!!!!