A few questions about the Panasonic RP91

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick G, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

1. Is there a region-free version of this player available, and if so, where can I find one?
    2. As for this "anamorphic scaling" thing, does this mean I will no longer have to watch non-anamorphic dvd's in TheaterWide 2 mode on my TW40? If so, do I still have to manually select "anamorphic scaling" on those dvd's, or does it do it automatically?
    3. What significant advantages does this player hold over my Toshiba SD5109?

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The scaling/zoom feature of the RP-91 allows you to leave your Toshiba in FULL mode when watching all DVD's (anamorphic, full frame and non-anamorphic widescreen). The player will automatically zoom/scale non-anamorphic widescreen titles if the DVD is properly encoded. Since many discs are not flagged properly, you will need to manually select the zoom/scaling option via the menus for these titles.
    While I did not own a Toshiba 5109, I did own the successor to that player (SD6200). The RP-91's scaling offers a much better picture for non-anamorphic widescreen discs than the 6200 and my Toshiba 56H80's TheaterWide 2 zoom. Also, when watching the extras on a disc, there is no longer a need to constantly switch between FULL, NORMAL and TW2 on the TV depending on how the extra material is presented (I always found this irritating, especially since most of the time my set would be in TW1 mode from watching cable TV).
    For anamorphic titles, the picture on the RP-91 gets a slight nod over the 6200. The picture seems a little sharper and better defined (it's subtle, though). The RP-91 does not have the chroma bug, but I rarely noticed that on the 6200 anyway.
    The one feature of the Toshiba 6200 (and my previous Sony interlaced players) that I miss is the "time remaining" function. The RP-91 has no way of displaying the time remaining for any DVD-Video disc (it only supports this feature for DVD-Audio discs).
    Sorry, but I cannot answer your region-free question.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5
    [Edited last by Scott Merryfield on August 27, 2001 at 10:33 AM]

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

4. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Nope, the Toshiba TW's don't lock into Full. Anyone have an answer to my "region-free" question?

5. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

6. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

*BUMP*

7. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Patrick, I have not seen a region free RP91.I had a Tosh 5109 until last month and for my birthday the folks bought me a Panny RP91.I also have a TW40x81 ISF by Louis Carliner last month.The first thing I noticed about the picture was it was noticeably(?)sharper than the Tosh and the colors were more refined and vibrant. I also could detect an improvement in the audio side. The bass was more pronounced and the highs were crisper.The nice thing though is I don't have to use the slow Tosh mode changes, I just leave the 40 on full and the 91 on Auto and it does it for me.All in all a definite improvement over the 5109 IMO.
    ------------------

8. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Thanks, Steve, that's exactly the info I was looking for. And thanks to the others for their time as well!