A few questions about the Panasonic DVD-S97 (yes I did do a search first) :)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Rolando, May 25, 2005.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Have a 57HX84 coming in on Saturday and I need a new DVD player.

reading up on players I was interested in the Denon 2910 or the Panny DVD-S97.

I am leaning towards the DVD-S97 due to price difference as I figure the quality reads as similar on paper at least.

after reading up on the DVD-S97 at this and other forums it seems to be a very recommended player for fixed pixel displays and it's upscaling feature. to be honest I do not really need the upscaling. I can wait for the real thing another year or so.

What I want is a kick ass player with great PQ. I will NOT be listening to DVD-A or SACD (as far as I know) so not an issue at all.

the features from the DVD-S97 that attracted me are:
    variable zoom as I hope it means I can zoom out to compensate for overscan like I can on my Malata.

Can anyone tell me if there is a buffer on the DVD-S97 to avoid that layer switch pause?

Does it pillar box 4:3 material?

I love that my current player adds black pillars to my 4:3 TV shows as I hate those grey bars but REFUSE to zoom or stretch.

Will HDMI always upconvert or can I get 480i or 480p with pillar boxes (hopefully) through HDMI?

should I decide to use the upscaling, will the benefits be lost on a CRT RPTV? meaning will the benefit be more for someone with a 720p unit?

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've got the S77, which is presumed to incorporate the same changes as the latest built S97s, as well as the same firmware, despite a few other differences. I think my findings will be entirely applicable to the S97.

I have a CRT-RPTV (Panny 53x54), and I defintely see the benefits of the upconversion. The Panny displays only 540p or 1080i, thus the 480 signal I used to send was upconverted to 540p. The Panny is optimized for 1080i, and I suspect that this (as well as the lack of additional analog-to-digital-back to analog conversions), explains why the picture looks better. Switching back and forth from 480p to 1080i-upscaling shows a definite improvement from 1080i on my monitor.

3. John S

John S Producer

I use a CRT RP HDTV, upscalling to 1080i has been amazing for me. I don't use DVI/HDMI though so my opinion on this may not apply here.

4. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Thanks for the info Rich.

john, are you using a DVD player that can upscale through component?

5. Steve*W

Steve*W Agent

LG makes a player that can do it through component

6. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

and how does the LG compare PQ wise though?