What's new

A few questions about PRISON BREAK (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just received Season One of Prison Break.

I never found time to watch it on TV during its broadcast, but
always wanted to.

Two questions...

1. Is this show worth watching?

2. What season is about to begin airing? It would be great if I
can finish season one and get to watch season two as it is broadcast
(if I haven't missed that season already).

Look forward to your comments.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I received my copy on Saturday morning and finished by Sunday afternoon! I hadn't seen any of it before, so if that answers if it's worth watching... ;)

Season 2 starts on August 18th I believe.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
The plot is completely stupid, filled with endless twists, unbelievable coincidences, and impossible cliffhangers.

It's freakin' awesome.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ron, Prison Break is frustrating to me. There are some really good episodes and there are a number of episodes that are just lousy and exist only to waste time until they break out
They aired the episodes in two chunks last year (one in the summer/fall and the second in the spring) and you could've watched the second chunk without having seen the first because nothing, besides some basic groundwork for their escape plan, happened.

I admit the good episodes have kept me watching but I'm seeing it essentially for free on TV. All that being said, the show does have a pretty devoted fan base so you might love it.

And S2 starts Monday, August 21.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It depends on your tolerance for characters doing ridiculous things to serve the demands of the continuing plot. I reached my limit at the mid-season break, when one of the bad guys had an attack of conscience and proceeded to act on it so stupidly that it was hard to believe he'd survived to adulthood.

The series doesn't have 24's breakneck momentum, and you need something like that to carry you over the credibility gaps. It also has multiple "Kim" characters -- you know, the kind whose only purpose is to do dumb things that place them in jeopardy.

M.

JoePassmore

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's a really good show. The problem with these one goal/plotline-driven shows (Prison Break, 24) is that they tend to use ridiculous plot devices to keep the show interesting. I'd imagine they work better when you're seeing the show once a week, rather than watching say 6-8 episodes in a row on DVD. In that regard, Prison Break definitely holds up better than 24. I've never seen 24 in first-run on TV, but it can be dreadful on DVD.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I got through the first 8 episodes yesterday and I'm sure it comes
as no surprise that I'm hooked despite the fact that this show is
totally, totally implausible (but hey -- what show isn't these days?!)

I mean plot wise, I have a problem with....

All in all, a good show that I am enjoying!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Watched a few episodes but ultimately could not buy in to the premise of a show where the methods employed to save one person recklessly endanger others.

Classic example of means NOT justifying the ends.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
When "Prison Break" debuted last Summer, I watched the first few eps.

I thought it was an intriguing show (and fairly ridiculous).

I eventually lost track of the show. I was worried it was going to involve season-after-season-after-season of failed break out attempts.

Friends who watched the show said I should check it out. I figured DVD would be a good way to do that.

So, I did pick up the set today. I am looking forward to watching it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I only have 4 more episodes to watch.

A superb series. I highly recommend it!

The only problem is, the way they are pacing this out
I can't imagine it going beyond two seasons.

There really is too much filler here and the show takes
forever to get to its goal.

Still, somehow it works as it kept me confined to my TV
for the past 2 days.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I didn't have reason to think that there was anything like "filler" at any time throughout the whole season nor did I find it boring for even a second! It kept my full attention from start to finish.
Like Ron, this kept me glued to the tv for 2 whole days, I simply couldn't stop watching! I'm dumbfounded that tvshowsondvd (Gord) said there were "some very boring episodes"!

There's great scope for Season 2 as there are numerous "big" storylines set-up that follow season 1 perfectly and it should have that same sense of urgency (if you know what I mean)! ;) Who knows how it'll pan out after that, just so long as it doesn't turn into The A-Team!

This is a series that's so perfect for dvd and I'm really glad I waited until the whole thing was available before watching. It's by far one of the silliest things I've ever seen but it's SO much damn good fun! In fact I think this tops season 5 of '24' on the blissfully daft, maniacally suspenseful enjoyment scale! :emoji_thumbsup:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I watched the show week to week (apparently unlike Gord) so a number of episodes felt like they were just waiting around. What's funny is that one of my favorite episodes with the character's origins
is filler but it was interesting filler. :)

And since I've bad mouthed the show, it's only fair to point out what I think is good about it too. The actors were all interesting to watch especially Wentworth Miller (who has a cool Clint Eastwood thing going on where his squint makes it look like he's really gonna kick someone's ass), Peter Stormare, Robert Knepper, and the guy who plays Scofield's cell mate.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

I won't give away any spoilers, but it will be interesting to get your reaction to the end of the last episode. IMO, the writers/director have written/shot themselves into a corner that they won't be able to get out with any sort of plausibility.

Also, again without spoiling anything, I think they will have problems in Season 2, due to the fact that they unexpectedly lost a key member of the cast to another show (they forgot/chose not to, lock this person into a contract.....OOPS!)and had to recast the part of another recurring character with a different actor.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Provide that information in spoilers, please. I didn't hear about it. Better yet, I'll bump my season 2 thread in the current TV forum and I'll ask you to post it there. Thanks!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just finished Season One.

My life was put on hold for the past 2.5 days just to get
through this entire set.

What a superb show! I dare say, better than 24 -- and
that is a real credit to this series.

The last two episodes had me on the edge of my seat. My pulse
was way up! That's not an exaggeration!

I am very curious about the odd remarks Mark has made in his
post, and if you could elaborate more in this thread with SPOILER
tags I would like to hear more).

For anybody reading this thread who has not seen Prison Break...

It is a must buy!

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason, I don't seem to be able to put "spoiler" tags up, so I will just direct you to the Season 2 thread in the TV section for a further explanation of my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks