A few questions about my options

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ryan Leemhuis, May 22, 2004.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

First off, can one work Axiom to take off some of the cost of their speaks? Say I was purchasing a set of M22ti's, could I get anything off the price.

Second, How big is the difference between these "high-end" speakers and some basic Kenwood HTiB speaker($500 HTiB- dual 4", wood cabinet)? ex. Would a non-audiophile agree that there is an obvious difference worth the cost...

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

firstly, you're already getting a great deal when you buy speakers from an online seller such as axiom. so, no, you can't get them discounted, unless they are offering some sort of multi-unit promo.

secondly, even though the sound of axioms may be "high-end" (don't know, never heard 'em), their price certainly isn't. at $200 each, M22ti's are a budget-priced speaker. "high end" speakers cost thousands.

is there a difference in the sound vs. the htib speakers? most likely and it won't be a subtle difference, either. worth the cost? at that price, probably, yes.

3. Ryan Leemhuis

yes yes but I would say that getting axiom's is a step out of the mainstream market and into the higher end audio. Am I wrong? and any other input on the sound difference would be great

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i'd say axioms are probably a very mainstream speaker both in their performance and most definitely in their price.

what does "higher end audio" mean?

btw, i've never heard the axioms, but i would suspect the sound difference between them and the kenwood htib speakers to be quite substantial. and if that htib has a sub, it will probably be even more apparently insufficient with the axioms than it currently is. what's the receiver in the htib, anyway?

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

You will notice a big difference in performance with upgrading each peace of your 504 if you have the entire 504 HTiB. Running a good sub with your 22s will only increase the gap. The VR-507 receiver the 504 comes with will really benefit being in your upgrade path also.

While the 504 was a great little HTiB in it's time per-say, you will be very pleased with the outcome of moving forward. When I upgraded my surrounds on the 504 it made a definite impact on performance to say the least. Only you can decide if it's worth it or not but the 504 primmed me for being willing to spend much more on a system and I consider it well worth it.

6. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

If you want a discount on the Axioms, you can sign up for the B-stocks. There might be a couple of weeks wait though.

7. Ryan Leemhuis

But I wouldn't call them mainstream...mainstream I would call "those" companies that choose to flood the market with crap. ::cough:: Bose ::cough:: or things like sony or JBL speakers. Any more input is welcome thanks Steve for the post. I just would like to be able for someoen without trained ears to be able to hear a substantial difference also.

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i'd say that axiom, being a very well-known, internet-accessible, budget-minded speaker distributor, is quite mainstream. i mean, c'mon, anyone can order them from a website.

PLEASE note that being "mainstream" doesn't necessarily equate something with it's being crap. in fact, it's sometimes quite the contrary. there's often a very good reason something is "popular".

again, i haven't heard them, but i can almost guarantee a substantial difference, even to an "untrained"(?) ear. your sub's deficiencies will become more apparent, though, and you'll probably want to replace it, too. in fact, if you get them, you may find that the axioms sound better when run without the sub, altogether.

9. Frank A

Frank A Stunt Coordinator

Ryan, if you haven't already done it, go by a local store, if possible, dedicated to music and video set ups. Listen to the different brands of speakers (usually brand names such as B and W, Paradigm, Klipsch or similar). You will be able to hear the differences in these speakers. Just think how much more you will be able to hear the differences in something like these and the hitb (at least I think so). I would think (never heard them personally) that the Axioms would be right up there with these others in their differences.

best of luck, Frank

10. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

Hey Ryan,

last fall I upgraded to to Axiom's. I had been using cerwin vegas all around with huge mains with the 15 inch woofers in them for 5 years before that. I also used a graphic equalizer with those speakers to make them sound good to me. I loved listening to music on all channel stereo with the old cerwin setup.

When I bought my Axiom m60's, I can't believe I ever liked my old cerwins. I no longer use the equalizer and instead of all channel stereo I now only listen to music in two channel with my sub (svs).

I also bought the big axiom center channel and m2's for surrounds. For movies the improvement is not as obvious as it is with music, but I do like the axioms better for movies as well. If you end up buying axioms I predict that you'll start listening to a lot more music than you do now.

Oh yeah, I also bought a pair of m3's for my pool table room, and they sound great too especially for their size.