What's new

a few questions about my (imaginary) speaker setup. (1 Viewer)

ben hunt

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone,

I have a couple questions...I plan on getting Axiom 60's for my main speakers based mainly on they better midrange over the 50's. I also plan to include at some point an svs 20-39.

One question is this...does the bass from the svs negate the lower frequencies of the mains (and other speakers)? I am wondering if I should just get some good bookshelves instead if this is the case. Maybe someone could explain it to me. I want a fuller sound...with and without a sub.

Second, I plan on using my system as a 60/40 Movie/music configuration. I've read so much about using regular bookshelves for the rear as opposed to dipolar/bipolar speakers. Can someone break it down.

I plan on this setup
2 mains (l-r)
1 center
2 rear (l-r)
1 rear center (possibly)
1 sub.
Denon 3802.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
That's a more difficult question than it looks at first. If you set your speakers to "small" in your receiver then the bass is redirected to your sub or front mains (if they are set to large). If you set all of your speakers to "large" then your sub is only used for LFE content.

Generally speaking the bass from the sub can either boost or reduce the bass coming from your main speakers depending upon the frequency and phasing. Having a sub with a phase adjustment can you adjust for it, as can properly placing the sub.

If you're picky about your sound then placement of the sub can be a time consuming endeavor. I would recommend full-range main speakers if you want to listen to music. Subs can be made to sound good (with music) using sub/satellites but it is a lot of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks