A few Questions about DVD-A and Tosh 4800

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bell, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone,

Do DVD-A discs come with a Stereo track also or are they all Multi?

If I have my player connected to my Receiver via Coax and the Analog outs does the player automatically recognize what connection I want to use. For instance coax for DTS, DD, and PCM and analog for DVD-A?

As far as hooking my 4800 up there are two sets of analog jacks on the back a stereo set and a multi set. If I just want stereo should I just use the stereo jacks or use the multi and set the rest of the speakers to off?

I also noticed that the only bass management options are to set the surrounds and center to small but nothing for the mains. It also looks like the crossover is all the way up around 120 hz. Isnt that kinda high?

Basically what I want to end up with is DVD-A playback in Stereo with my Mains just running full range with no sub. Can anyone help me with this setup. The manual is not very clear about DVD-A.

Thanks

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, some DVD-Audio discs have discrete stereo tracks. Unfortunately, not all do. Some early Warner discs lack stereo tracks and Silverline's discs have no stereo tracks either. In any event, read the disc packaging before purchasing.

3. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Keith that answered all my questions but made me think of some more[​IMG]. Does it sound weird hearing an original stereo track remastered multi-channel. I know that I dont care for PL2 too much, is it similiar to that just with better resolution than a regular CD?
    If a DVD-A disc doesnt have a discrete stereo track if I tell the TOSH4800 that I dont have a Center or Surrounds will the processor just downsample it into stereo and would the result be near to what it would have been like if it was originally authored in stereo?

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jason, it is possible to mix stereo music into a quality surround-sound mix. To my mind, a quality surround-sound mix is one in which the surround channels are used for ambience, which would be echoes or reverberations in the case of studio recordings or crowd noise in the case of live performances. Unfortunately, many surround-sound mixes put the listener in the middle of the band, meaning that instruments come from the rear channels. Aside from the notion that these mixes sound "fake", I also feel as though there is no rhyme or reason to why the mix was done in the way it was done. I find myself wondering why a guitar comes from the rear left speaker at 1:12 into the song and then from the rear right speaker at 2:34 into it. Why didn't the guitar come the rear right at 1:12 and the rear left at 2:34? That the issue I have with middle-of-the-band mixes.

If a DVD-Audio disc does not have a discrete stereo track, it is possible to "fold it down" to stereo. The center and surround channels are mixed into the front left and right speakers. These folded down mixes can sound good, but I usually do not like them. My biggest pet peeve with DVD-Audio is the fact that some discs (many, actually) lack discrete stereo tracks.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer