What's new

A Few Questions About DV Cameras/Editing Software (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
1: My friend is under the impression she needs to buy a Sony camera in order to import video to her Sony laptop because Sony uses I_Link. I always thought I_Link was just another name for IEEEwhatever FireWire. Which of us is wrong? Will any old FireWire-capable camera work on her comp?

2: OK, it turns on and everything, it even records sound, but the picture is black. It has the video overlays and all that, but it's as if the lens cover is on (NO, it's not I checked like 8 times). It seems like the lens has somehow been disconnected, but I can't figure out how. It's a 400-dollar range camera and I have screwed with all the settings trying to get it to work. Also last night I discovered that the shutter controls and all that are inexcessable (greyed out).

Any ideas?

(This sucks because A: I was the last person to use the camera and B: I used it all the time to make hobby DV Films. Now I feel bad that I must have accidently broken it AND I have one less hobby to fill my time!)

3: I am expecting to buy a DV Camera in about a year, maybe as soon as 3 months. Just trying to get a feel for what a good camera for me would be. I don't want to spend more than a grand on it, though. I know they go from 300-5,000 easy.

I plan on using it to film and edit on a computer.

No plans to use it as a still camera, so those functions are worthless to me.

I don't think I really need picture effects and all that, as editing software has it's own stuff.

My main concern is PQ. My freind has a $400-range Canon cam and the picture is ATROCIOUS.

I have made a few short films, and a 30-minute documentary using my friend's camera and his comp. I really fell in love with this DV Filmmaking hobby and I am eager to dive back into it with a better camera and faster computer. Sadly, his camera is dead (See #2) so I can't hold myself over by making DV films using his equipment anymore.

4: have been using Pinnacle, and I like it...only there's some stuff that it can't do such as rotoscopping (I tried to do a blaster effect and failed...would like tyo be able to do stuff like that and lightsaber stuff for SW Fanfilms) split-screens and things of that nature. I tried out Vegas a while back and wanted to through the computer out the window. I can't stand those super-complex Photoshoppy programs. Is there any middle-ground?

I figured it would be better than posting 4 topics. I posted them on the DVForum, but that place is dead. Thanks in advance.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

I wouldn't expect there to be shutter controls for use in camcorder mode. Sounds to me like you put the camcorder into "VCR" mode (blank screen would be normal unless you had video line input or were playing a tape), or possibly into a "show me the pictures on the memory card" mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks