What's new

A few Paradigm questions. (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 170 sounded thin and lacked in vocals to my ears, and I've owned both the 370 and 170 side by side. I don't know where you heard the 370, but it may have been damaged or not setup correctly, because the 370 is quite an improvement over the 170 to my ears. The 470 is nice, but the Studios are a bit bright for my taste.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Yeah...I have to agree with Cabreau....I was with him. Everything was driven with a H/K 325. The 370 was not broken and all was set up correctly. The 370 sounded fine in the lower registers but up to a certain point it sounded almost McDonald drive thru-ish. I am sure some of it had to do with the sound qualities of the H/K but that wouldn't explain why the 170 and 470 sounded so much better. I think there is just to big a jump between Monitor line and Studio line....and not that big a jump between Performance and Monitor.

Hey John....doesn't this conversation sound familiar.......I think you, Cabreau and myself had the same conversation about this time last year LOL.....We may just have to agree to disagree on this one ;)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
"Evan - I remember this conversation too ."

LOL!! Yeah, it was actually a good "debate" too. The funny part is....I know my opinion MUST be wrong!! The part that I can't figure out is WHY THE HECK did the 170 sound better to me. Both were in fine working condition and set up on the same receiver..........

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, I remember :D Something had to have been wrong with that 370. There were some batches of bad tweeters at one point, IIRC, because my dealer said there were an unusual number of warranty issues with the Monitor line for a time.

I sold my 170 for $75 because I don't have a place for a rear center anymore. Actually, I have no Paradigm speakers at all anymore.

I did recommend the 470 and 20s to a friend, and while I would have gone for 40s (budget did not allow him to), it sounds very good hooked to a Marantz 9300.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, there must have been something screwey with the set-up...although there did not appear to be anything wrong. I think the real lesson to be learned is that one should actually see if the place will let you buy both sets of speakers to try at home and return the loser. What sounds good at a store may not sound good at home....and vise-versa.

What speakers are you using now John?

I actually don't own....never owned any Paradigm. My buddy Cabreau has them and they are great speakers. I own Boston Acoustic Vr3 front with a vr920 center and micro 90II and Micro 90II center rear surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks