A few Panny 47" HDTV questions. Just got mine!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinO, Aug 5, 2001.

1. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

My TV arrived today, and so far so good. DVDs look great after AVIA calibration, and the red push fix. I had 25% red push! Just have a few questions:
    1) I can't find a vertical position setting in the service menu. There's one in the user menu, but that only seems to affect zoom mode. Currently my top/bottom overscan are not equal, and I want to even it out.
    2) I had the same overscan problem horizontally, but I was able to find H_POS in the service menu. After changing that value, I now have between 5.5-6% overscan on the sides. Is this typical? I assume that if I went ahead and fixed this, I would have to mess with convergence settings in the service menu.
    3) Speaking of convergence settings. What is the purpose of "convergence1" (the green cross)? There was nothing on the very edge of my screen to match up. I'm confused about this one.
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

You have your before me!!??!! NOT FAIR!!!! [​IMG]
    Oh well, congrats. [​IMG] How were you able to see you have a 25% red push?
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

3. Rod U

Rod U Auditioning

KevinO, if you look very closely at the center of both the top, bottom, left, and right plastic frames surrounding the front screen of the TV, you'll see small lines indented in the frame itself. You are supposed to line up the 2 lines of the green cross with these marks on the frame of the TV to make sure you convergence is centered. By the way, would you mind posting your Color, Tint, B-y_G, B-G_A, CUT_R, CUT_B, DR_B, and DR_R settings? I'm curious to see how closely they matched up to mine. Thanks.

4. Andriy Zolotoiy

Go to user menu, Convergence 1, first step. There is a green cross, move it to align with marks on the cabinet.
    ------------------
    Andriy Zolotoiy
    My HT: http://members.home.net/azolotoiy

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Oh shit! The lines are IN THE CABINET? I've owned my set for like 3 weeks and never noticed that. I always wondered what the hell the Convergence 1 Green was for?!?!
    Oh well, I've done all my convergence corrections in the service menu so that's all well and good. But it's helpful to know what I'm looking at if I ever need to do Convergence 1.
    Oh, and I believe there is no Vertical Position in the service menu. I too found that odd, since there's a horizontal position setting. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

Click here for their www.audiosurvey.com reviews

6. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

There is no vertical postion adjustment. They don't even mention it in the service manual. Don't know why.
    My overscan is about 5% on all sides. I tried to reduce it, but I didn't like the results and I couldn't get convergence correct after that, so I changed it back.
    ------------------

7. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I've got a practical question. I opted to pick up my new Panny from Sears myself rather than pay them to bring it. My question is, how big is the friggin' box it comes in? I can get either a full size van w/o seats, or a pick-up truck. The pick-up truck is proving harder for me to borrow, so since it may have to be the van, I'm worried about the box height. Is the box significantly larger than the TV? If I decide to return the TV, will they want it back in the box? Or, maybe there is no box? Can anyone help me out? Thanks...
    JiM T

8. Dave Gogebic

Dave Gogebic Extra

I had one of these delivered but returned it for a Mitsubishi 55 inch instead - I wasn't impressed.
    The box is 6-8 inches larger than the set is all the way around - it weighs about 167 lbs if I remember right - not difficult to move around - it comes with casters. The packing material is not very well built - the people that took it out of my home had a very difficult time getting it to repackage. It has two very off balanced styrofoam tops that come off easily when trying to repackage it. They finally gave up on it.
    I'd be careful about how you unpack it to preserve the materials for any repacking that might be required.
    My new Mits was much better packaged. This might explain why my geometry was so messed up on the 47 inch Panasonic.
    Good luck....

9. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info. I never would have found those markings on the frame of the TV in a million years. So I can't adjust vertical positioning at all?! Top/bottom aren't close to being equal. I've been away for a week, and I can't remember the exact figures. Any suggestions? Do I have to mess with the other vertical geometry settings?

10. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

Please ignore my overscan problem. Once I fixed "convergence 1", that corrected my unequal overscan! I now have a constant 5% all around. Thanks again, Rod. I will post the settings you requested tomorrow, Wednesday at the latest.

11. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

Mine is very close to 5% all around, but there is a vertical shift between s-video and component. Not too bad and I'm willing to live with it until someone comes up with a fix.
    ------------------

12. Francois L

Francois L Stunt Coordinator

KevinO, how do you do the convergence in the service menu.
    What is the procedure?
    ------------------
    "My god, it`s full of stars!"

13. KevinO

KevinO Stunt Coordinator

I don't really know how to do convergence in the service menu. I just did the user level 9-point convergence. I think there is a description of how to do it in the service manual, but I haven't ordered it yet. Others such as Carlo have done the 64-pt. convergence I believe.

14. Francois L

Francois L Stunt Coordinator

So, what about you, Carlo ?
    ------------------
    "My god, it`s full of stars!"

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Once you're in the service menu, you have to choose FINE for the fine 64 pt convergence. Starting in the middle and going in a circle outwards, do one color at a time. Read the service manual, it tells you how to toggle between cursor and data (choosing a spot vs. effecting the spot) and how to change colors (I do red first, then blue, then green).
    It will take you a while to get the hang of it, but once you do you'll be flying around the grid like a pro.
    Oh, and take breaks. Your eyes, and your screen, will need it.
    Don't forget to hit "7" to store your settings. If you exit without saving, it all goes back to the previous settings.