A few newbie questions!

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by RexAhn, Sep 26, 2003.

1. RexAhn

RexAhn Auditioning

Hi, all!

I'm just getting my act together and am looking forward to having a decent Home Theatre. However, I have a few questions that I'm hoping could be answered here:

I have 4 Energy mid/tweeter boxes that I currently use for music, and have decided to use them for my new home theatre. However, in order to get the 2 rears to produce sound, I'm probably going to have to use ugly, exposed wiring... I'm not into drilling holes in my wall or doing anything drastic to my place. I'm wondering if there is a wireless transmitter/reciever on the market for home theatre? I know that there are such items available as a set (transmitter, reciever and speakers together), but I don't really want to spend any more money on speakers as these Energy's are pretty darn good. Is there a contraption where I can wire my 2 rears to the transmitter/reciever?

My next question involves Plasma televisions. I have been eyeballing the Pioneer PDP-4330HD (43 in.) for a little while now, and it seems like it has some great features and the picture looks superb (however, if anybody has any other recommendations on brands, or whatever, I am totally open to them, too). I've read some reviews on epinions.com and they have been flattering. If anyone on the forum owns this particular set, I'd be very happy to hear any gripes or good things you have to say about it.

My last question is still sort of on the topic of plasma sets: I've checked out pricing on the above-mentioned television on the internet (on American sites) and have converted the price to Canadian dollars (I'm from Vancouver). After the conversion, the set costs $6143.00 CDN ($4535.00 USD). I've seen this same set at a local "Best Buy" type of place and they're selling it for $9999.99 CDN. I'm wondering why there is such a price difference between American online retailers and my local store? I may as well pay the $200 shipping charge and buy from the States!

Sorry for the long-winded post. I've just had these questions on my mind for a while and figured that I may as well get them answered in one go.

Thanks very much!

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum fellow Canuck. I think that the best (cheapest, simplest) solution is to get a studfinder, mount the speakers to the stud. Then poke a hole in the wall beside the stud, run the wire through and then poke a hole directly under the other one at the bottom of the wall. Stick some pliers in and fish the wire out. It is very easy, takes five minutes. If you dont want to do this, you can get plastic covers from home depot that stick to the wall to cover the wire. THey are made for on wall lamps but work well for speakers aswell.

3. RexAhn

RexAhn Auditioning

Thanks for the tip! I'm trying as hard as I can to keep away from drilling holes in my walls, so I'm probably going to go with your wire-cover tip.

But do those audio transmitter things that I'm hoping exist actually do... exist?

Thanks!

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Rex,

Regarding Plasma sets, I know a guy who recently bought a big-screen display. He decided to go with a DLP TV after he found that Plasmas have a half-life. In other words, they burn down and you throw them away. He went with DLP because it has a replaceable bulb – something like $2-300 American, but a pittance compared to a $5000 TV.

5. RexAhn

RexAhn Auditioning

I heard that the life-span of a plasma set is about 17 -20 years of 8-hour per day viewing... Seems reasonable to me... I hope that by that time I have a new set. =)

Oh, and what is "DLP"?

I read the posts on wireless speakers. Thanks a lot for the info.

6. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Rex, to answer your question, I dunno. I have never heard of transmitters/receivers for surrounds. But I imagine that you will still have to be running wires either way and it will probably increases THD.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

8. RexAhn

RexAhn Auditioning

I'm definitely keeping my options open for the television... it's just that Plasma is kind of a buzzword these days.

Thanks for the tip on DLP. And thanks to everyone for the info on my speaker question.

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Rex - it's a personal preference, but I am not a big fan of the plasma.

While it's thin/sexy, it has some issues. My 2 biggest are the price, and the "Screen Door" effect. Look at a plasma from a few feet away and you will see gridlines going in horizontal & vertical directions.

People say you dont notice these from normal viewing distances - but having noticed it at all would make me constantly looking for it.

And the price - a 61" HDTV from Mitsubishi is selling for between $2400 - $3000 (depending upon the sales that week). Bigger, cheaper - hard to pass up.

But look for yourself and make the decision that will keep YOU happy.

10. RexAhn

RexAhn Auditioning

Hi, Bob!

Actually, I have noticed the spaces in between pixels, just as you've described and that does kind of bother me. However, on LCD screens, it's not as noticable at all. Strange.

From a bang-for-the-buck standpoint, I do agree with you on the new HDTV's... however, I'm living in a 2 bedroom apartment, and would like to save space... I currently have a 36" Wega and it's a honkin' huge machine. It's really thick.

But again, I gotta keep my options open. If I can get a great picture for much, much less than I would pay for a plasma... argh! Why must you do this to me?!

Thanks for the advice.

-Rex