1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

A few more questions on theater rough in

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Scott Sheridan, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Scott Sheridan

Scott Sheridan Auditioning

I posted earlier on in wall rated wire, Thanks for the answers. I found 2 types, both 12 ga., a 165 strand /oxy free simular to zip cord and a 68 strand 2 conductor in a jacket. I will probably use the later because I think thats what the inspector would rather see. Is there any noticible difference in audio quality between the two?

Also, given the choice would you run the wires in the walls/ceilings back to the gear or would you prefer the crawl space, nice crawl, almost 5'tall. In the craw it would leave some flexibility to relocate reveiver, etc. around at a later date. What would you guys do?

Thank You,

scott

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

there should be no difference between strand count. i'm using a 12g wire with only a few strands...but it's pretty beefy stuff.

as far as wiring goes, i suppose if i had a crawl space, that would be optimal -- especially a 5' tall one!!! can you still run wires up the walls from the crawl space? if so, then i really think that would be premo!

don't forget to factor in ceiling wiring as well. make sure you put up electrical and (at the very least) some conduit to future proof your wiring. i'm thinking you should pre-run component wiring (and audio) just to be safe.