What's new

A few Laserdisc player questions (1 Viewer)

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Calling Rachel B! Looked through the LD primer, have done lots of research online, but now I'm getting confused when it comes to Pioneer-clones. How well do they stand up to their brethren? Namely, I've been looking at the Mitsu M-V7057, the Denon LA-3500, and possibly a Yammie 901. The Yamaha I hear does not rid noise out of the picture as well as the aformentioned. I'm also looking at the DVL-90 and 91. The primer says they perform about as good as the CLD-79, but does that mean the same? Thanks for any input everyone. Keep on spinning those giant plastic circles!

AJG

John S

Senior HTF Member
The two biggest aspects of an LD player in the modern world. Are of course overall reliability, and then how strong is it's comb filtering to produce svideo from the composite video that is on the disc.

The Denon and Mistu are real good on the reliability part, the Denon is decent on the svideo part.

The most regaurded Pioneer players do better on the svideo part. This probably isn't a factor if your display provides excellent 3 line digital comb filtering, which mine definetly does not. Last I heard and it's been about a year now since I have heard anything, is that Pioneer still fully supports all their LD players from a service aspect. Denon is beyond horrible from what I have read the past few years.

I still use my LD player as much as anything. I think mine is the LA-3500 Denon. I also have a Mitsu that works fine still as a backup player. I have 800 to 900 LD's in my collection.

It will be interesting to read others opinions on your post for sure. Not many LD posts anymore for sure.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
You may wish to look at this site (if you haven't already):

http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/pioneer1.htm

and also drop Kurtis Bahr an E-Mail since he fixes them and should know something abouts parts availability. I have a CLD-79 and also a 704 (in 2 different systems) and some extra parts that will fit either if they go. I only have about 130 LDs in the collection. Kurtis' E-Mail is [email protected]

greg_t

Screenwriter
I agree with alot of what John says. I myself recommend pioneer instead of the clones because, as John stated, Pioneer still makes parts for many of their players. I have three pioneer players, an Elite CLD52 made in 1992, a CLD 79 made in 1997, and an HLD-X9 made in 1996. Pioneer still makes parts for the 1992 player. I don't believe any of the other manufactures still make parts for their models.

I have the 79 and it is a very good player. It can be even better if you have a device with a good 3D comb filter. It has a nice built in 3 line digital comb filter but just about any HDTV will have a 3D comb filter that is better. The CLD 704 is the same player video wise as the CLD79 but does not have the elite finish or build quality. Still, it is the same video player and can be had for a better price. I second Phil's suggestion on contacting Kurtis to see if he has any CLD 79's or 704's. He services the players he sells so you will be sure to get one that is in good working order.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Yeah, I've been in contact with Kurtis already. He's been extremely helpful thus far. As much as I'd like to go with something like the CLD-99 or higher on the totem pole, it just won't fit my budget. The CLD-79/704 is looking to be the best choice. The clones are a good deal, but the parts thing does worry me. Wouldn't the clones accept the same parts though?

AJG

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Aaron, contact Kurtis. He would know. I would guess that in some situations yes and some no. An example would be the McIntosh 7020 player. Kurtis lives not too far from me and when I had my 1st player to him for repair at his house he had just gotten one in a box to fix and we were both excited. I had tried to bid on a few of those on E-Bay but they got too expensive. When I followed up with him a week or so later he was disappointed and told it was nothing more than a Pioneer Elite CLD-97 with a custom McIntosh faceplate and an AC-3 output. So I would guess if something in the guts went, it could be replaced. If it were one of the front switches, it could be something that McIntosh got from an outside supplier and who knows if it is still made and what could be gotten to fit it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yes, and Kurt would probably tell you this as well. You'd need to find a good repair guy (like him) who knows what they're doing. That Mitsu IIRC is a 704 clone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks