What's new

a few infrared landscapes (1 Viewer)

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
still getting the hang of my Hoya R72 filter. The conditions weren't the greatest (kinda overcast) but I didn't have anything else to do on Monday so I drove the 2 hrs each way to these abandoned farm buildings my dad told me about of I-55 south of Chicago.

One question ... I know you can get sharp images by using a small aperture, but in general, do most of you still adjust the focus on the lens to the infrared focus dot as you have to w/ Kodak HIE film ?

http://www.pbase.com/tmeyer/infrared

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Tom, you can get great IR shots on overcast days. I often prefer them since they aren't so obvious without the dark sky.

The D70 has IR capabilities? Is the R72 an actual IR (as in, visually opaque) filter or something along the lines of a #29? I can't remember.

I would expect you should still shift the focus to the IR point.

Tom Meyer

Second Unit
what I meant about the conditions was that there weren't any big puffy white clouds in the sky to contrast w/ the darkened sky. There was a little bit on a few, but not as I was hoping for.

And yes .. the R72 is visibly opaque. I have a #29 red filter that worked well for infrared b&w file but it doesn't seem work nearly as well as the R72. I'm pretty sure just about any digital camera can do IR if you have the right filter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks