A few DVD player questions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Nathan Bjork, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Im looking for a new DVD player to replace a DVD-VCR combo I got a while back, I have about $180 to spend on a DVD player that might double as a CD player.

Which brings me to my first question. Should I get a multi-disc DVD player and use it as my CD player also? Will the DVD player sound any better or worste than a CD player? My DVD-VCR I have now sounds good but it takes like 30 seconds for the CD to start playing in the DVD player, that annoys my alot and I was wondering if all DVD players are like that.

Now about the direct 5.1 inputs and the optical. Should I shop for a DVD player that has a decoder with 5.1 outputs? Right now im using and optical cable, so does the direct input really make a noticable differnce, enough for me to pay extra for? I have a H/K AVR 230 and JBL S series 5.1 speaker setup.

-Thanks-

Nathan

2. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

Searching for this topic is a big help, there's been so many threads about this... but:

My suggestion is the Pioneer 563a. It's great on DVDs along with ALL the audio you could want. You'll be hard pressed to find a player in the price range that displays better video, and you get the added bonus of SACD and DVD-a. You can spend the extra 30 on cables, dvds, beer, whatever.
    If this doesn't interest you, save 30 extra and look at the Denon DVD910. It's got a much much more advanced de-interlacing chip.

Anyone else?

3. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Adam, I will look into those models.