What's new

A few dead black pixels on Toshiba 57" HTDV (1 Viewer)

Scott.Lear

Auditioning
I have a Toshiba 57H84 projection HDTV, been very happy with it so far (since last winter). Last night I noticed what looks to me like 3 dead pixels in the upper left quadrant of the screen, two side-by-side with a third on the diagonal from one of the others. Pretty sure it hasn't been like this since new, can a few pixels just go black over time? Is it likely to be debris on the mirror?

Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated, Thanks in advance, I'm pretty sure it's still under warranty.

-Scott

John S

Senior HTF Member
Are you sure of that model number?

If it is a CRT RPTV, then dead pixles are not the issue.

Scott.Lear

Auditioning
Pretty sure of the number, it's the an RPTV (I assume that even though the three projectors fire up from the base and are reflected off a mirror that you still call it rear projection). I was going to post a pic, but i guess i'm still too new to link to other sites. It's definitely the 57H84 Theaterwide HD TV.

Look like I had mistakenly added a D in the name before.

John S

Senior HTF Member
ahhhh.. ok CRT RPTV.

Call out service, really can't be dead pixels, and I would say it has to be before the CRT's, something in how ever it converts everything to 540p/1080i or something in that part of the set.

Scott.Lear

Auditioning
It appears whether the signal is my GameCube or the Digital Cable box, thanks for the tip.

I guess something on the mirror is unlikely?

-Scott

John S

Senior HTF Member
Well it could be, but doubtfull if it really appears to be anything like dead pixels to you. Would have to be some amazingly accurate / uniform dirt is all.

Scott.Lear

Auditioning
Turns out it was a small speck of crud stuck to the inside surface of the screen, the warranty guy from sears came by, took the cabinet apart, and removed it, glad it was under warranty or it'd have been a $200 fix for maybe 12 minutes worth of work on his part. I paid attention so I can do it myself should the need arise, all is working fine now.

He emphasized making sure that one's hands are completely free of oil before touching the inside of the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks