A.F.D. vs. Cinema Studio & My Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PaulD, May 17, 2004.

1. PaulD

PaulD Auditioning

Alright....I have a sony reciever (I can get the model if needed) that I have for my home stereo - theater. When I listen to cds I can do it in one of several modes...the two best sounding being A.F.D. and Cinema Studio A.

My question is:

When I use A.F.D the clarity is far better for music however it only uses the two main fron speakers. When I switch to the Cinema Studio it uses all 5 speakers (Fronts, rears, and center) but the sound quality is less crisp.

I want to listen to music using primarily the two fronts but also want the music to play through the rears.

Can I do this in the A.F.D. mode? (I think not as the reciever wont seem to let me)

Do I have to plug the rear speakers into the "B" speakers slots to get them to work for this scenario? (but then they wont work as surround!)

Are you still with me? I really enjoy the sound of A.F.D but it only uses the two fronts and I want it to use the rears as well (it will far better distribute the sound in my place).

Suggestions....thoughts....comments?

Thanks!

Paul

2. PaulD

PaulD Auditioning

To clarify I do understand that AFD automatically finds the most suitable audio for whatever source is selected...and for cd it picks just the front two speakers....I am hoping to get around that.

3. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

AFD is Automatic Format Decode; this will select the native audio format the track is recorded in. If you have the DVD (audio track) selected to 2-ch you get 2-ch PCM, if the selected audio is DD or DTS then you will get 5-ch straight through the DD/DTS processor and no other DSP, CD music you get 2-ch PCM only.

For Music you must select a music mode to get anything from the other 3 channels, I always liked Live House, it gave some rear ambiance and a nice reverb. So to answer your question No you cannot get the rear or centers to play with AFD when playing a 2-ch PCM recording.

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Paul, I have a Sony receiver as well. I also like the sound that A.F.D. gives you the best, but also like you don’t like the fact that it does not use the surrounds only the mains and the sub, and there is no way to make it use to surrounds. What I use for my CD’s, TV, Video Games, Ect is “Normal Surround”, it uses the surrounds and sounds very close to A.F.D., I would say that it may take a bit of the “crispness” away, but most of the time it is very hard to tell. Anyway maybe it will sound different for your setup, but it works decent for mine to at least try it out.