What's new

A dumb PAL, NTSC, HDTV question (1 Viewer)

colin.w

Grip
This is probably a dumb question but it's been annoying me for a while. I live in the USA but I'm from the UK and I have a lot of PAL DVDs. I have a multisystem CRT and a multisystem DVD player. So no problems there. But when I eventually upgrade to an HDTV the choices of multisystems are zero. I want to go to a 1080p set (by the time I get around to it they'll be the standard). So my question is this.
If I get a 1080p set and a DVD player like the Oppo that plays PAL discs and upconverts the DVD to 1080 it obviously will not play unless I let the Oppo convet it to NTSC. How bad is that going to look? A DVD that is upcoverted to 1080 then converted from PAL to NTSC and displayed on an HDTV set sounds pretty bad to me.

Am I wrong, or is there a better way around this?

Col.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

Most front-projectors can display native PAL. Since many of the HD rear-projectors are based on the same technology (i.e., DLP, LCD, etc.), I'd imagine it would be the same situation with them, no?

Vincent

colin.w

Grip
That's an interesting point. I'll see if I can hunt down some online manuals on those kind of TVs and see what I find.

Thanks for the reply.

Col

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

No problem, Colin. I just bought the Oppo 970, did the region hack thing, and set it to "auto" in the set-up menu so it's outputting NTSC discs as NTSC, and PAL discs as PAL into my Panasonic LCD front-projector. It also upconverts both formats.

Vincent

colin.w

Grip
The Oppo is what I'd go for too. Could you tell me which Panasonic LCD front projector you have. Thanks.

Then comes the hard part. Convincing the wife.

Col.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I am in the exact same boat as you -- I have a large number of PAL discs and currently have a SD 16:9 CRT, which I would love to upgrade to a 1080P LCD. I'd love to get a LCD that is PAL/NTSC multi standard, so I can use my upconverting DVD player.

If I don't find one -- the way I see it, the solution might be hooking up a Mac Mini via DVI -- in other words having the LCD act as a 1920X1080 computer monitor, at which point if I play a DVD on the Mini, whether it is PAL or NTSC shouldn't matter as they are meaningless when viewing a DVD on a computer monitor.

Am I missing something?

Ted

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that is indeed the idea. I'm not sure yet I trust Westinghouse as a brand, but in general terms that's exactly what I need -- I don't watch TV, so I don't care about a tuner -- indeed my current TV only has a PAL tuner, so I can't watch TV on it -- I use it for DVDs only.

Ted

colin.w

Grip
Well, if you ever find one that you're happy with I'd appreciate it if you could post it here so that I could take a peep at it. Thanks, and happy hunting.

By the way, I'm in New York too.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Same here -- let me know if you find something. I'm not really actively looking right now -- basically I think that the ideal LCD is one or two years away, and I'm happy to wait.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks