What's new

A Dog's Purpose (2017)/Dog's Journey (2019)/Dog's Way Home (2019) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So, tomorrow is the date for the Blu/DVD release!

Matt Hough's review is up on the forum. Don't miss it!

And, Peggy got us an early copy of the Blu release as part of Universal promotional push. Universal asked bloggers across the country to hold viewing parties with their dogs and family and then write about their dog's purpose in their lives (in the voice of the dog).

So this review is actually "composed" by my son's Golden Retriever, Zeke (with a little help from Peggy) who came by and enjoyed the film quite a lot. Zeke is one of the few dogs I've met who actually WATCH the screen whenever a dog is on a movie or TV show. My dogs have always perked their ears whenever they hear a dog (or doorbell ring, etc.) on the TV. But Zeke actually watches what the dogs do! Strange.

Monday, May 1, 2017
Zeke's Movie Night #MyDogsPurpose

By ZEKE

I was standing in the kitchen chowing down on my crunchy munchy kibble when my mind started wandering, as it tends to do because I'm only a three-year-old golden retriever, and can't concentrate on any one thing too long and I started thinking about my purpose. What is my purpose? Visions of taking my humans for walks and helping devour all that pesky bacon in the refrigerator flashed before my eyes, but before I could find an answer to that perplexing question...my humans came along and told me it was time for Family Movie Night.

zeke%2Ba%2Bdog%2527s%2Bpurpose%2B4.JPG

Well that begged the question, what is the purpose of movie night? I think it's to bring all the family together--with me in the center of course--to share in a mutually bonding experience. We all sat around in my human grandparents' living room. I visit here often. My best friend in the whole wide world, Ike, used to live here, but he went over the rainbow bridge just five weeks ago. I miss Ike more than anything. But sadly, as much as I look for Ike in Grandma and Grandpa's house, I can't find him. I can still smell him a bit, on the sofa where he used to sleep. But for sure he's gone.

So, movie night. Universal Studios Home Entertainment asked bloggers if they'd be interested in reviewing the DVD A Dog's Purpose. My grandma sometimes reviews books, movies and even dog food (she lets me sample it--Yum!) She also likes the book's author Bruce Cameron and his work. So they sent her the DVD and some goodies for me, and Grandma said that I get to review it, and give my honest opinion. So here I am.
#ADogsPurpose #sponsored

When I heard that this movie was about dogs, and the rainbow bridge, I wasn't too sure I wanted to watch. But Grandma told me that she'd read the book and despite the sad moments, the movie has a positive message, and that I would like it too. I was ready for Family Movie Night. I didn't think Ike would mind if I took his spot on the couch. My family gathered--the human puppy didn't stay and watch...she's too young. But the rest of us watched, even Great-Grandma.

zeke%2Ba%2Bdog%2527s%2Bpurpose%2B2.JPG

The movie opened with some cute puppies, and pretty soon we got to see...what else, a reddish golden retriever! He was adorable, but maybe I'm partial. His name was Bailey Bailey Bailey. And best of all, the movie was told through the eyes of this Bailey. And to tell the truth, I think a lot of the same things Bailey thought in the movie.

I loved the relationship between Bailey and his boy. I could tell that Bailey would do anything for the boy, and the boy would do anything for Bailey. But life is complicated. And so is the plot...at least for an uneducated young dog like me.

It seemed that Bailey just about figured out his purpose when his time on earth was over. I noticed Dad hugged me a little closer during this scene. But there was something different about this movie. Just when everyone was sniffing and the music was swelling, things got happy again. Bailey was back! Only he didn't look the same as he did before. It made me think a lot. About Ike. I don't know where my best friend Ike is now, but sometimes I think of what happened to Bailey in this movie and wonder if that happened to Ike. Is he a puppy somewhere?

zeke%2Ba%2Bdog%2527s%2Bpurpose.JPG
zeke%2Ba%2Bdog%2527s%2Bpurpose%2B5.JPG

We finished watching the movie and, although there were plenty of sad parts, and some scary parts, I liked it. I liked the way the dogs and humans worked together. I liked the way the dogs ran and played and loved their humans.

Which brings me back to the question---what is my purpose? Well I'm still a youngster, I haven't figured that out yet. Maybe it's easier to figure out your purpose after you've already fulfilled it. But Mom told me something about my best friend Ike's purpose. She said that when she adopted him, his first purpose was to get along with Kelly, the bossy female spaniel in the house. And he did. His next purpose was to help my Grandpa recover from a serious illness by giving him lots of TLC. Also, his purpose was to keep Grandma company as she worked from home. And, then he became a therapy dog, and his purpose was to give unconditional love to all he met. And then, when Kelly become old, deaf, nearly blind and suffering from dementia, his purpose was to be her guide, to be her therapy dog. Ike crossed the rainbow bridge just last month. Kelly followed, just five days after. Looking back, the way Grandma and I see it, Ike's purpose was really simple. To love and be loved. #MyDogsPurpose

Maybe that's every dog's purpose. Maybe it's mine. That's what the movie meant to me.

A Dog's Purpose is available now on Digital HD, and on Blu-Ray Tuesday May 2nd. For fans of the book, there's a special feature A Writer's Purpose, with the story behind W. Bruce Cameron's bestselling novel. #ADogsPurpose

a%2Bdogs%2Bpurpose%2Bdvd.jpg

Trailer: http://uni.pictures/ADogsPurposeTrailer
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ADogsPurposeMovie/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/a_dogs_purpose
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/adogspurposemovie/

Full Disclosure: I was compensated for my honest review. This in no way influenced my opinion. Opinions expressed here are 100% my own.

Zeke doesn't have a lot of experience with HT issues, so I'll just add that the PQ and SQ are terrific to my eyes and ears and that I enjoyed the film even more last night than I did when I saw it in the theater. (You get a special peek in that image above of my HT set-up in my 100+ year old living room). :D

Of course, those of you who follow my own thread in the After Hours Lounge on my life with my own dogs know that I am currently "between dogs." So, the film tugged at my emotional heartstrings all the more this time around. But I am convinced that any work of heart which can impact us on an emotional level is doing its job and doing it well.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone have a cat lined up to review next week's release of A Street Cat Named Bob? ;)

I just finished that book and immediately pre-ordered the blu.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Some news to report.

For those who haven't heard in my other thread, Ernest has joined our household!

And, I have just been informed that there WILL, apparently, be a sequel to the film A Dog's Purpose! That is great news!

Here's Ernest and I with the third Cameron book in the series:

full

The third book is recommended (although not as good as the first or second book). But I am THRILLED that there will be the follow-up to A Dog's Purpose. Cameron's book sequel--A Dog's Journey stays in the same universe as the first book so there will be lots of ways that the two films can be tied together! :thumbsup:

Anyone have a cat lined up to review next week's release of A Street Cat Named Bob? ;)

I just finished that book and immediately pre-ordered the blu.

Malcolm: Peg and I watched the Blu of this two nights ago. We were underwhelmed. What did you think of it? Did the movie meet your expectations based on how much you apparently liked the book?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah the article linked in the post above your, Robert goes into some of that. It's the overseas business apparently driving the sequel.
Yeah, I didn't read the article, but heard it on the radio this morning about the China receipts and sequel.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah. $200 million worldwide on a $22 million budget? You bet yer paws there's gonna be s sequel!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Malcolm: Peg and I watched the Blu of this (A Street Cat Named Bob) two nights ago. We were underwhelmed. What did you think of it? Did the movie meet your expectations based on how much you apparently liked the book?

No, I didn't like the movie as well as the book. As always, they changed some things and left out or condensed quite a bit. The book is a much better read than the viewing experience of the movie.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No, I didn't like the movie as well as the book. As always, they changed some things and left out or condensed quite a bit. The book is a much better read than the viewing experience of the movie.

That's too bad. We hadn't read the book, but the movie really failed to convey any sense that anything unusual happened to the guy because he met the cat--outside of helping him beat his habit. That is not an insignificant thing, but the mild celebrity that he received was not all that compelling and we really felt like they must've hacked off most of the protagonist's relationship with his father.

The cat, however, was stunningly beautiful. I was stunned to watch the bonus features to learn that they used the real Bob the cat in the role! :thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Oddly, a few months before the May 2019 release of A Dog's Journey there is going to be a January 2019 release of A Dog's Way Home. This is written by Cameron...but not part of the series.

This should confuse people.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I just watched A Dog's Purpose this afternoon and... what a tearjerker! Perhaps I brought too much to the table with my life's current status and the start of the holiday season but along the way and in the end I was a blubbering mess. :mellow: The scene in particular where "Waffles" is just left outside on a chain and decides in the end he's better off being a stray on his own instead of being with those people just tore at my heart strings. :huh: Thanks, Mike, for the recommendation! :thumbsup: :D (I think! :blink: ;))

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched A Dog's Purpose this afternoon and... what a tearjerker! Perhaps I brought too much to the table with my life's current status and the start of the holiday season but along the way and in the end I was a blubbering mess. :mellow: The scene in particular where "Waffles" is just left outside on a chain and decides in the end he's better off being a stray on his own instead of being with those people just tore at my heart strings. :huh: Thanks, Mike, for the recommendation! :thumbsup: :D (I think! :blink: ;))
I have avoided watching this movie for everything you’ve written. I love animals. I love my cats and my dogs and I’m sure I’d have a problem watching this movie. I tried to avoid watching 8 Below but my wife was hell=bent on watching it and she doesn’t watch movies without me.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I have avoided watching this movie for everything you’ve written. I love animals. I love my cats and my dogs and I’m sure I’d have a problem watching this movie. I tried to avoid watching 8 Below but my wife was hell=bent on watching it and she doesn’t watch movies without me.

I love animals too, Johnny (as we've both established in the The Official HTF Cat Thread), but I wouldn't avoid watching this movie as it is a celebration and confirmation that our unconditional relationships with animals are sacred and to be held dear. As I said in my post, I probably brought too much to the table with the anthropomorphisation of the dog's adventure. I highly recommend this movie and was kidding around with Mike over his recommendation, but I should add that I'm a sucker (and maybe a cry-baby!) for these types of animal movies and loved both Eight Below and Marley & Me (I have a symbolic personal sob story to tell about the latter movie too but for another time).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I still haven’t made it more than 10 minutes into the film. Still hits too close to home after losing my beloved mini schnauzer Stewart. The book was devastating for me and my wife.

Will get to it soon as I know we will love it. God I love dogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks