What's new

A Dog's Purpose (2017)/Dog's Journey (2019)/Dog's Way Home (2019) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Personally I'm a little torn about bringing kids to this film. So I'm pleased to hear that your focus group of eight-year-olds liked it, Sam! :D It's a positive film...but could be rough on some young ones.

I've given this some thought.

One of the obvious reasons I was concerned about kids seeing it is the obvious reason:

the very sad scenes involving the deaths of the dogs.

However, one of the things I said to my wife as we were exiting the theater (because those sorts of scenes really have an impact on her, too) is
that they didn't linger after those by quickly introducing the new puppy (with which we got to continue on the adventure). I think that quick turnaround each time made those unpleasantly sad moments bearable (for young and old alike). It's not an easy thing to accomplish.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
My family has been wanting to see this one since we saw that trailers. We all went Sunday, myself, wife, and three kids age 12, 10 and 6. The movie ultimately felt like a Hindu turn at God's Not Dead or Heaven is for Real but with dogs. More emotional manipulation (this was seen a mere 16 hours after the abysmal Collateral Beauty) is on tap but some odd decisions were made for a PG movie. Namely, what I posted on Facebook immediately after walking out of the theater "Took the family to dogs dying and dying and dying and dying: The Movie." Yep. No spoiler I hope... its clear in the preview that the dog in the movie dies and is reincarnated over and over, trying to learn his purpose. What's not clear is that each death is shown on screen and drawn out in a few cases for maximum emotional manipulation. The movie was criticized for despite its title, a dog's purpose is somewhat unclear. But maybe the point is, a dog's purpose is what you need it be, depending on what you're going through in life. Unlike literally rolling my eyes during Collateral Beauty I found myself getting legitimately choked up a few times here. The teenage relationship, the difficult father struggling with his personal definition of success, and the dogs, awww. If you need a good cry or a causal no-brainer movie, you could do worse.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The portion of Quaid's segment that dealt with the video was less than a minute. Also Quaid was not present for that scene. It was a segment about Quaid and no conclusion as to whether there was mistreatment was made. They showed a very small snippet of the video.

To me, it was glossed over.
I agree on the glossinesses. Same with Dennis on Ellen and they didn't even show the footage.

Someone mention how manupulative the movie. I liked Marley & Me a lot and it was the same. Also, Plague Dogs is designed empty your tear glands for your 1200 tear water change! :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
In defense of the Sunday Morning piece, the subject was technically Dennis Quaid's life and career, not this movie (obviously, the timing of it was intended to promote the film, but still). If he was not present for the events in question, and hasn't personally seen more evidence than any of us have, then they were right to not dwell on that topic. He gave his opinion, and that's all that was needed in that context.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
He wouldn't have been doing the interview if he wasn't in the movie.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In defense of the Sunday Morning piece, the subject was technically Dennis Quaid's life and career, not this movie (obviously, the timing of it was intended to promote the film, but still). If he was not present for the events in question, and hasn't personally seen more evidence than any of us have, then they were right to not dwell on that topic. He gave his opinion, and that's all that was needed in that context.
This a significant controversy surrounding the film. They could have covered it in more detail and I wish they had. He's doing the piece to promote the film, and CBS glossed over the controversy. It leaves me wondering why.

I've had my say on how CBS handled the controversy, and I'll leave it at that.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
James:

Are you going to go see this movie?

I think you should. You will enjoy it.
Thanks. I tell you this has bothered me but I know I'll see the movie. But I have the book on my special must buy wishlist at amazon. Ill read first. And see Hachi too which I have now. Now sure I can take it at the moment though. :D waiting for the right time. Just ready about that story gets me.

Oh! a few good dog books I've read over the last few years that I think you'd like... everyone would I think.

https://www.amazon.com/Oogy-Only-Family-Could-Love/dp/0446546305
- Oogy. another tearjerky

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Little-Life-Memoir-Joyful/dp/B003BVK2YY/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485993823&sr=1-1&keywords=a+big+little+life&refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin:2656020011
- a big little life. this is Dean Koontz all about his dog. I believe his first and it feels just that way.

https://www.amazon.com/Dogs-Who-Fou...5993970&sr=1-1&keywords=the+dogs+who+found+me
- the dogs who found me. rescuer schools you on pit bulls. (understatements of the year~!)

page turner allllll...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but it confirms what many of us already thought about this issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/04/entertainment/a-dogs-purpose-disturbing-video-investigation/index.html
I'm happy to read all this but I would like one more item of information, identification of the independent third party investigator. I'm surprised that wasn't provided.

While it would not provide information that would aid in evaluating the situation, I sure wish they could have identified who did the editing, TMZ or some over zealous humane advocate.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if any of you have seen this yet, but it confirms what many of us already thought about this issue.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/04/entertainment/a-dogs-purpose-disturbing-video-investigation/index.html

From the linked article:

"But the group does acknowledge handling of the dog when it appeared unwilling to enter pool "should have been gentler and signs of stress recognized earlier."

In my mind, that COMPLETELY validates what we saw in the TMZ video. Handlers and American Humane's representative SHOULD have stopped those attempts to get Hercules into the pool.

American Humane's report is incomplete without more information about what happened to the AH rep that was present during filming.

Mark

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From the linked article:

"But the group does acknowledge handling of the dog when it appeared unwilling to enter pool "should have been gentler and signs of stress recognized earlier."

In my mind, that COMPLETELY validates what we saw in the TMZ video. Handlers and American Humane's representative SHOULD have stopped those attempts to get Hercules into the pool.

American Humane's report is incomplete without more information about what happened to the AH rep that was present during filming.

Mark
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you there about the video validation and stopping their attempts to get Hercules into the pool.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Me neither.

The editing of the video (particularly, the point of not seeing what happens after the first scene) leaves the impression that the handler was doing something wrong. Without knowing what came after the edit, I do not believe that conclusion is correct.

The full measure of what happened that day cannot be drawn from what was seen. THAT is what appears to be the conclusion of the third party investigator. The quote from the article is also a judgment call which, I believe, many people would argue.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Wouldn't it help if the entire video were released?
You took the words right out of my head. we see the videos. we're upset. then they say all is okay. but they are talk talk talk. let us see? And if there was a smearing going on then they should sue. but in the meantime we can feel good about seeing the movie.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It starts out cutesy with chronicling the hijinks that come with owning a dog for a young boy, andthrough his teen years. Then it shifts for a few more turns as the dog is reincarnated as a new dog until it comes full circle. Lasse Hallstrom does a nice job keeping the pace brisk and it couldn't be easy to deal with filming with trained dogs for such a long time in the film.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks