What's new

A disturbing development concerning Silence of the Lambs and B & Ms (1 Viewer)

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
On my lunch break today, I went to J&R to pick the latest releases. They had Silence of the Lambs availible, but get this, all they had was the Fullscreen version!
furious.gif
I looked all over the store and finally found a few widescreen copies in a corner of the store. I'd say that fullscreen outnumbered widescreen by about 4 to 1. As I went on line, I noticed alot of people buying the fullscreen version!
This is not some J6P domain like Walmart. This is J&R, a store that caters to the home theater enthuiast in New York City. I hope that this isn't a sign of things to come.
Somehow I think MGM has something to do with this.
furious.gif

bill lopez

Second Unit
You should have warned them.
You should have acted like that scene at the end of the 1950's movie INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

Dan Zavitz

Auditioning
My local BJs only had the FS version, not to mention some of the K-Marts. I picked up the WS version for 17.88 at a Wal-Mart.
[Edited last by Dan Zavitz on August 21, 2001 at 12:44 PM]

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I went to Virgin Megastore today and am pleased to announce that all they had was the OAR version. No full frame to be seen anywhere.
The widescreen version also appears to be selling considerably better on the internet.
It's not over until the fat lady sings.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Another false alarm.
I stopped in J&R on my way back from a meeting downtown. The first thing I saw when I walked into the video store was a large stand-up display filled only with widescreen copies of Silence of the Lambs. There were additional stacks of the widescreen version throughout the store.
Richard, maybe you just got there too early. After all, it's August. Staff may be on vacation, deliveries may be delayed, etc. etc.
Breathe, everyone.
M.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I bought mine on 8/21/01 at Best Buy. I had to search for the OAR version also. They had plenty of "Fullscreen" copies around. Let's hope that everyone picked up the widescreen version, leading to the shortage...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Coconuts had about 50 Full Screens and 1 Widescreen that I picked up. I later returned it in favor of Best Buy's price. Best Buy had about a 50/50 split, but their display definitely favored the full screen version.
Which sucks.
On a positive note, at least the tag under it read Pan/Scan.
------------------
Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
You know, the reason that these place have so many fullscreens could be because people are buying the widescreen editions leaving nothing but the fullscreen editions.
However, if they are ordering more fullscreens than widescreens and you don't buy a widescreen, they will assume that no one wants widescreen. Also, if you can't buy a widescreen edition somewhere, complain to a manager, otherwise no one of importance will ever know that you wanted it. You want to change the situation, then do something about it other than fuming!
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
It will be interesting to see the percentage of sales breakdown of OAR and P & S versions. It is a good idea to complain the manager of a store if you don't see the OAR version. If you don't, the manager won't know there is a demand for it. Don't let P & S die-hards take over this medium.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
The local best buy near me sold completly out of the Wide screen version yesturday. I was lucky enough to get one. From what the Best buy employee told me is that they got in the same amount for each.

PhilipW

Second Unit
I almost picked up the P&S. I'm standing in a long line at Best Buy, so I start reading the back and noticed the horrific line "Edited to fit your screen" which it wasn't since I have a 16x9. Get out of line, find the correct version and wait again.
Of course, this was all made good when it rang up for $16.99 each with $5 off for buying both films. $14.49 each
wink.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks