What's new

A Different Take on Stones' Super Audio Labeling (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Brian- I have read differently about the Stones. The remastered CD layer is supposed to be a very big improvement over the original CDs.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Brian- I have read differently about the Stones. The remastered CD layer is supposed to be a very big improvement over the original CDs.
Well alright then.......perhaps I will take a flyer and buy Get Your Ya Ya's Out.....one of my favorite recordings of all time, bar none.

No real risk, since I will eventually have SACD.

I have the previous CD release, so I should be able to do a reasonable A/B of the red book layer.

BL

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think in this, and other threads, it was said that the red book layer, while somewhat better then the previous re-issues, was no great leap forward, however, the SACD layer was a quantum leap forward. I look forward to hearing the difference for myself.
Redbook is also a quantum leap. I have been borrowing some 1986 remastered CDs from friends and I gotta say the difference is night and day.

Get these whether you have a Super Audio player or not.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
If you have ever heard Jon Astley or Peter Mews NoNoise solution in effect, you know what I am talking about. Yeck!!!
Just got back from WalMart. Didn't have Ya-Ya's :angry:, but I picked up Let It Bleed.
Haven't even had a chance to even listen yet, but I note in the credits one Mr. Jon Astley listed under "Additional A to D Transfer".
Hummmmmmm.....methinks that the gentlemen must be capable of at least occasional good work, given the overall opinion of these new transfers.
Can't wait to sit down for a listen.
The only A/Bing I can do is with the '86 Hot Rocks version of Gimme Shelter and the version on the new disc. Should be fun to listen to.
BL

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Haven't even had a chance to even listen yet, but I note in the credits one Mr. Jon Astley listed under "Additional A to D Transfer".
The consensus is strongly positive so far, minus Lukpac on Steve Hoffman who is really into the Stones tapes. He makes some good points.
I think they kept Astley away from the processing equipment. :)

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I just listened (on SACD) to the first disc of More Hot Rocks (Big Hits and Fazed Cookies). I can't believe how good these songs sound for such vintage stuff.

The material is stuff I know but haven't heard in a while. I don't own previous releases of the Stones, so I'm enjoying getting re-aquainted again. Helps to read Guitar World (while listening) and read the interview w/Keith Richards as he explains some memories of the early years.

So far I've picked up:
Aftermath(US) (meant to get the UK but screwed up)
Beggars Banquet
Let It Bleed
Hot Rocks
More Hot Rocks

Got to get back for disc 2 of more H.R.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Helps to read Guitar World (while listening) and read the interview w/Keith Richards as he explains some memories of the early years.
Open G rules!

Sorry for that guitar player specific comment. All I will say is, if you play, tune your ax to open G tuning, and you will will start channeling Keith Richards in about 1 minute. Many Stones tunes can be played in standard tuning, but they will never sound right unless you go open G.

Anyway, took a listen to the Red Book layer of Let It Bleed (did not get to A/B Gimme Shelter with the '86 release on HR yet).

Very, very nice. Its a pleasure to listed to a recording where they had limited tracks to work with, and the some of the instruments are panned hard right and hard left. Wanna here exactly what Keith or Mick or Brian are playing? Listen to these vintage recordings.

Live with Me absolutely rocks. I will be cruising my local Best Buy to get Ya-Ya's today.

I long for a SACD player!

BL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks