A Different Perspective on Bose

PaulDA

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I suppose I should have posted this here. (this comes from a post I made elsewhere)

A Bose-sized speaker set

I've done several searches here and have found no discussion of my current speaker system. I have the Harman Kardon HKTS 6, purchased a year ago, for 400$. At the time, I needed a speaker set to go with my Denon AVR-1600 (which I'd been using in stereo with an old pair of Celestion DL6s). I'm not looking to brag about my current speakers as they are a very limited, budget system. I auditioned a number of similarly priced systems and found these the best of a limited lot. I believe they are actually JBLs, licensed by HK. For dvd films, they are acceptable (not very sensitive though, my receiver has to work fairly hard). I bring all this up in response to a number of threads regarding Bose Acoustimass systems. Just out of curiosity, I also listened to a couple of the Bose systems and can say that, regardless of price, my humble HKs are far better. (The price tag of the HKs was unknown to me at the time of comparison and I was going to forego the HKs, thinking they were in the Bose price-range). I'm not an engineer but I am a long-time audio enthusiast and it was easy to hear the qualitative difference.

ericLee

Stunt Coordinator
I kinda understand what chu is saying. I don't think the most people who buy bose actualy care to much about getting the absoulute best quality for there $. I wouldn't want them but for most, the simple HTIB setups is sufficient and easy, and compard to other HTIB with certain meterial thay can sound better too. Like most things people buy they buy for the name not always for the quality.

Patrick_C

Auditioning
I think most people who buy Bose believe they're getting "the best speaker" for their dollar. They buy name brand because they believe they're assured at getting a quality speaker. Those people who don't know much about speakers are impressed by their size and likely don't have an ear for the lack of quality.

I think you're wrong in assuming they don't want quality. As I said above, I think they expect it.

ChrisArmour

Stunt Coordinator
Ignorance is bliss. If someone comes here asking questions about BOSE, then they definately have doubts about purchasing them, and several of us have no problem educating them.

Keith Hyde

Stunt Coordinator
We're all full of opinions here.

Simply, IMO Bose is great for those who don't know any better or if small size is key. I am very impressed by the sound that comes from something the size of a Coke can - very effective in-store demos from Bose. Bose is also IMO the older folks no-fuss no-brainer for what they know as quality. Bose has always targeted this demographic that has deep pockets and little inclination to fuss with a system but that also wants a decent product. They do get it, and more power to them.

But as for anyone with more serious listening in mind... well, we all know the moniker.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a Bose busting system made by Brian Bunge that uses the very able TB W3-871s full range driver. These will absolutely sound wonderful, and for $750 for a 5.1 system in real wood veneer!

RAD Micros

So here's an option that's quite small, and much more attractive than Bose, costs much less, and has much higher quality components.

Wes

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForsyDia