A Different Perspective on Bose

Chu Gai

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Those are reasonable cost effective alternatives. To anyone's knowledge, have any FR curves been published?

Ryan T

Second Unit
I don't have a problem if people buy bose as long as the know what they are getting and realize that if they sacrifice a little size they could spend much less and get the same results. I can see in some areas if you had horrible size constraints that bose MIGHT be a good choice but you could get something like the klipsch quartet that is bigger but cost a whole lot less and does sound better to my ears. While the klipsch satilite's are about 7" high 4" wide and 6" deep which is bigger than the bose i don't see how that much difference in size could have make the system not work any were bose works. There are other options that are somewhat close to the size of the bose speakers but i don't see why getting speakers that are a little bigger would make any difference. But thats coming from a guy who has a 20" diameter by 65" subwoofer in his room

Ryan

Ryan T

Second Unit

as you stated FR doesn't mean a whole lot in real world applications since most people don't have the ideal room or setup. My point is bose just simply sounds bad no matter how you set it up. The FR curve of the speakers suggests they would also. I try not to put too much in FR curves because they don't mean much in the real world. But mos the speakers that sound good do have fairly flat curves.

Ryan

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Truthfully, I think that people who spend time in these forums bashing Bose do so in attempt to establish themselves as knowledgeable about audio products.

It's like, "Bose? Well anyone who really knows anything about audio will tell you Bose sucks. Anyone who would buy anything from Bose is a neophyte and I'm not one."

I once took exception to the bashing and was accused of being a closet Bose-lover; despite my having indicated that I didn't like Bose. I also dislike Bose-bashing, especially as often as it occurs in these forums. In my opinion, it reflects a lack of maturity...but since I'm old, maybe not bashing Bose reflects a speck of senility.

Chu Gai

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
I think alternatives are great and maybe something like the Hsu's (which I've never heard) will find their way into mass distribution channels. I certainly could see something like that in a guest bedroom. That's a much better FAQ Lance and shows far more thought by whomever wrote it. Good job.

cabreau

Second Unit
I've got some Creative 7.1 computer speakers coming in today. Once I hook them up, I'll let you guys ,know how they stack up against the Bose cubes that I had. The Creative 7.1 computer speakers cost me $125. If Bose lowered their prices to say...$250-400 for the complete set, they'd be in a more reasonable price range, IMHO.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Ryan T said:

I agree, Ryan. To take it further, I guess I don't understand the reasons people settle for satellite systems in the first place (Bose or otherwise):

1) space constraints -- most floor-standing speakers take up less than one square foot of floor space.
2) keeping speakers "hidden" -- I don't find speakers obtrusive or "ugly", but maybe that's just me.

Everyone's different though, so if people have their mind made up that they want small speakers, that's fine by me, but as others have said, there are cheaper alternatives to Bose if you're primarily concerned with having small speakers.

--Nathan

ChrisPATT

Stunt Coordinator
I tend to agree with this. Several months ago I had a friend and her boyfriend over at my house - didn't know the guy very well. I did a little demo of my system for him - played the avalanche part of XXX I think. My system consist of Paradigm 100s/40/Servo 15 - had the house shaking...

When it was over, the first thing the guy asks was, "why didn't you get Bose?" Plus he pronounced it Baze or BosE or something... So yea, Bose really pisses me off!

It still pisses me off when I think about it... maybe I need help.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Someone said it best in a post I read recently:

"Bose is a marketing company, not a quality speaker company"

and Chu:

Is the misspelling in your post intentional? Because I laughed when I read that part.

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Anybody else notice... Click on "My Audio Rig"... Rich has his speakers biwired with "2 x Monster Z2Reference 10ft Biwire" cable.... with the jumpers still installed!!

Speaks volumes. (pun intended ha ha ha )

I'm so glad that anyone with good web skills can put together a professional-looking review page. What a great forum for people to share their thoughts and ideas!

BTW, my brother Pat's Sony Dream System completely smokes a Bose LifeStyle™ system for less than half the price. It's not "Audiophile" but it sounds great for the mission. The cubes are smaller than Bose and the headunit has everything you need. If anyone came to me asking for advice about a system like this I recommend Sony Dream systems.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I don't have a problem with Bose.... The animosity towards Bose is exacerbated by the "pompous" and myopic approach the sales staff at "all" Bose stores employ in pushing the "product."

Mike^C

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
If anyones interested in a fairly good review of the predecessor to the Logitech Z-680, go here:

Z-560 Review

These are pretty nice small speakers for the price.

MikeSkee

Auditioning
My father picked up his first set of Bose speakers (601s maybe) back in the 70s and they stuck around the house through the early 90s. Once when I was younger I pulled the speaker cover off and noticed that the foam all the way around the speakers was nearly gone (speakers hadn't seen much, if any, action in years). The cones were very brittle and pretty pitiful looking. My Dad called Bose about buying some replacement parts and they refused to sell them, saying that they would only sell whole speakers. Ridiculous, of course, but that's Bose's mantra. So they basically offered to cut him a deal on an Acoustimass system, selling it to him for less than half of the retail price (I think he paid about $250 - what does that tell you about their retail prices?). After getting it home and setting it up my Dad was satisfied and begin listening to his speakers once again.

I've listened to the sysytem (the sub fell apart/blew very early on) and it really is garbage. My JBL sub/sat system (same size as the Bose), which retailed for well under half of the Bose price, outlasted and outperformed the Bose system. When I ask my Dad why he keeps getting Bose he just says "what else is there?".

Some people grew up with the idea that Bose was the best out there (and if you've never listened to another brand of speaker it may as well be true). Ignorance is bliss as they say, but Bose can't claim ignorance - forced delusion maybe, but definitely not ignorance.

JeanVanDam

Stunt Coordinator
I like Bose! Especially at their stores, they have this cool display with little foam balls that moves when the speaker turns on.
They look pretty and sometimes I stack the cubes to make a castle or I paint letters on the cubes to make words out of them. Ok ok, seriously, I bought a pair of nice looking bookshelf Bose for about $98. I rushed to Fry's electronics before the sale ended. Boy was I wrong, I have to give it to Bose for fooling me and my friends. I'm not an audiophile but I for sure regret buying my Boses.

Ryan T

Second Unit
I might have found the best bose buster set so far. They are very close to the same size and are only $300 for the 5 speakers plus sub and a real HT receiver
. I was at Best buy with my dad today this evening. He just bought a plasma display and wants some cheap speakers that are small and wall mountable. He knows the truth about bose and has heard them before BTW. Anyhow we looked at the JBL nsp1 package and then the athena acoustic speakers but they were all more than he wanted to spend. Then I saw this deal

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat03010

It has almost the same sound as bose (i thought slightly better bass) at one tenth the price. It is exactly what my dad is looking for. Since there is a decent HT receiver in the package he can upgrade to better speakers later down the road. So basically the sound isn't great but it is acceptable especially considering the price and it has great upgradeability.

Ryan

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
"FR doesn't mean a whole lot in real world applications since most people don't have the ideal room or setup."

I would disagree and say that it does as much as anywhere else, because we can distinguish direct sound of the speaker above some frequency like 100-200 Hz.

Ryan T

Second Unit
Thats true but what i'm saying is the FR doesn't matter a whole lot IMO. If i was presented with to speakers one had a bad FR response and the other had good FR. I would buy whatever sounds best regardless of FR. In reality the FR curve your speaker has is going to get shot to pieces once it's put i and normal listening room. Unless you have nice sound treated walls and such. I've heard a lot of speakers that have a decent FR curve but don't cost much (like some of the cheaper paradigms and B&W speakers). But i much prefer my GR-research AV 1's to them. What i'm trying to say is i look at crossover components, cabinet build quality, and driver quality over FR curve. To me those are much more important that a good FR curve.

Ryan

BryanZ

Screenwriter
It also doesn't help Bose's case they have made one of the worst center channels ever produced.

Of course, for the price of the Bose Am 15 system ($1,299 delivered through BB), I could buy:

HSU Ventriloquist and VTF-2 - $660 delivered
Marantz SR5400 - $550 delivered
Toshiba SD4900 dvd player - $88.06

or substitute a Yamaha HTR-5630 for $199 delivered rather than the Marantz and you still have over $50 (out of a $999.99 budget) left over for speaker cables, S-Video cable, and an optical cable. You tell me which is the better buy and which will be the better sounding system.

By the way, that Bose system didn't include a source so you may have to tack on a few hundred more. Then again, since Bose doesn't include a subwoofer I guess you'll have to spend more money for that too as a bass module isn't a subwoofer.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Ryan,

That is a good way to look at it, though drivers, cabinets and crossovers are all used *in order to* get an accurate frequency response across a wide coverage area, among other things.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForsyDia